Sony A7R III announced with 4K HDR

salim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

If CanoNikon full frame mirrorless are as good as we hope them to be, expect a Sony A7rIV, or A8r sooner than later, this generation ain't the absolute killer we were expecting them to be. While GH5 is eating them their S's sales..Of course maybe CanoNikon are too late to the game. We'll see. Now, where is this FS5mkII?!

Is two years since the FS5 came out, I think it might be another year or two until we see a "mk2"

13 minutes ago, maxotics said:

Are you trying to embarrass me here ;)  I have the C100 mk1 (though with DPAF).  However, I am blown away by what this camera can do.  It just GETS SH_T DONE!  And the image is so sweet.  It really puts these DSLRs/Mirrorless cameras into perspective.  For all the features of the A7RIII, I bet most people, in a blind test, will see the C100's quality as good as the A7RIII, and with no fuss.  The only reason I can see wanting the A7R3 over what I have is for the photography stuff.  Did I mention I'm in love with my C100? :)

The A7r3 like the A7r2 is a very good / class leading stills orientated camera with added video capability. I bought mine solely for it's stills ability and only later started to use it as a video camera. If I was starting from the position of wanting a camera for primarily video use I don't think the MK2 or the 3 would make the list. As said previously the only way to properly exploit the full potential of the sensor is to use an external recorder which is not always practical - been there, done that, bought a GH5.....

16 minutes ago, maxotics said:

Are you trying to embarrass me here ;)  I have the C100 mk1 (though with DPAF).  

mk1 is from a different generation, mk2 was the current one when the FS5 was released.

If  we want to talk about older secondhand cameras, then we need to include the likes of the Sony F3 or FS700. Which I'd take over a C100 any day.

But yes, the C100 is still an excellent camera (their being better cameras doesn't change that) which can be an absolute workhorse (heh, just last night I did a shoot which had the C100 as one of our cameras).

14 hours ago, maxotics said:

Are you trying to embarrass me here ;)  I have the C100 mk1 (though with DPAF).  However, I am blown away by what this camera can do.  It just GETS SH_T DONE!  And the image is so sweet.  It really puts these DSLRs/Mirrorless cameras into perspective.  For all the features of the A7RIII, I bet most people, in a blind test, will see the C100's quality as good as the A7RIII, and with no fuss.  The only reason I can see wanting the A7R3 over what I have is for the photography stuff.  Did I mention I'm in love with my C100? :)

Agreed.

I was on the hunt for another camera 2 years ago for a doc I am lensing and was viewing all option available at that time on a video projector. The Canon color blew everything else away.

For run and gun documentary under difficult conditions, the C100Mk2 smokes everything in its path. Period.

Though I should say that my method is to shoot an absolute ton of material trusting that something revealing is going to happen with my characters. The light weight codec really saves HD space while the sensor and processor makes sure it's loaded with crisp detail and decent DR. For my style of shooting, it's pretty unbeatable. Though that C200 looks like the next option.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, mkabi said:

In retrospect, this announcement is kind of surprising.... what ever happened to the a7 mark3? Thats the camera without the R or the S.

My opinion, Sony are not very interested in the sub-$3000 camera market at the moment.

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Price in Germany is 3500 euros, around 4150 USD. Ridiculous, right?

You could get a used Leica SL for that.

20 hours ago, mercer said:

Panasonic jumped the gun by one or two product cycles and that is good for GH5 owners, but the other manufacturers shouldn’t be held liable for Panasonic’s inability to get a Log profile that worked within an 8bit space.

You do not  dissapoint in your never ending ways of seeing a negative in Panasonic? Or just the GH5s?....so instead of Panasonic being the first to deliver 10bit 4:2:2 internal recording in a hybrid 2000 camera, you turn this into a must develope feature by Panasonic to make up for their failure in Vlog with the GH4....I glanced at a thread on the 5DM3 and ML once....a video clip in which the banding and rolling shutter was so bad as to be unusable IMO....as I have no interest in the camera, I saw no reason to comment on it....do you want a GH5 or do you just want to hate it?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mkabi said:

In retrospect, this announcement is kind of surprising.... what ever happened to the a7 mark3? Thats the camera without the R or the S.

This actually isnt new. They ditched the non R and S version when releasing the RX1rii. There is no RX1ii.

I forgot the reason but remember thinking it made sense.

43 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

You do not  dissapoint in your never ending ways of seeing a negative in Panasonic? Or just the GH5s?....so instead of Panasonic being the first to deliver 10bit 4:2:2 internal recording in a hybrid 2000 camera, you turn this into a must develope feature by Panasonic to make up for their failure in Vlog with the GH4....I glanced at a thread on the 5DM3 and ML once....a video clip in which the banding and rolling shutter was so bad as to be unusable IMO....as I have no interest in the camera, I saw no reason to comment on it....do you want a GH5 or do you just want to hate it?

Fritz, I never said I hated it. I think it’s a great camera and if I was a wealthier man I would probably own one. But when Panasonic becomes the only manufacturer to introduce 10bit into a consumer camera, one must ask... WHY? I think it’s pretty self evident. Either way it’s good for the consumer but it’s also unrealistic and unfair to hold Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji to the same standards when Panasonic is the oddball.

As far as likes and dislikes of the 5D3 or the GH5 or whatever... who cares what some random guy on the internet thinks? I chose the 5D3 over the GH5 because I wanted a different aesthetic... you chose the GH5 over whatever your second choice was for the same reasons. I’m not mad at you. Everybody has different tastes.

Right Glenn. Even though, I don't find on 5D3 outcome (for real) anything I can't handle on GH5 as well, I'd say ; ) I guess the opposite is much harder to reach... ;-)

3 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Price (...) is 3500 euros (...) Ridiculous, right?

When you can buy a couple of GH5ss for the same amount...?

Yes, it is. Indeed.

(Panasonic rules *period* call me fanboy now, I'll call it: ...against facts there's no - such - argument : ) BTW, I know of people selling their REDs... just because)