Sony A7R III announced with 4K HDR

salim

This thing shits all over the D850 and will probably beat it at video. Where is all the hate coming from? GH5 is competing with the a7S line, but it cannot hold a photo candle to the a7R line. Leica is a niche product with a price to match. I guess you are all about the color science and even that is said to be improved on the a7RIII, so wait and see, this thing is impressive:

A7rII-vs-A7rIII.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BasiliskFilm said:

I can be powered by USB - is that new? That should provide some options.

FINALLY!!!

I grabbed my Samsang NX300 this morning for the first time in ages and the battery was flat, but not a big deal! Didn't need to find a charger, could just grab any one of my many many USB cables I have lying around and charge up the NX300!  Very useful. (and this is not even counting the handy feature of using it with a USB powerbank, as an external battery)

Made me wish that every camera had USB charging, why isn't this common place with all cameras??

The biggest difference between these cameras and cinema cameras is battery life and storage.  So now the A7R will last twice as long?  It will have a USB port that can transfer 4K video as fast as a card reader?  It has dual recording slots, FTP over wireless, proxy recording? 10fps silent mode shooting.  If this camera camera out a few years ago the title of the post would be "Sony just killed the Canon C100" :) 

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

FINALLY!!!

I grabbed my Samsang NX300 this morning for the first time in ages and the battery was flat, but not a big deal! Didn't need to find a charger, could just grab any one of my many many USB cables I have lying around and charge up the NX300!  Very useful. (and this is not even counting the handy feature of using it with a USB powerbank, as an external battery)

Made me wish that every camera had USB charging, why isn't this common place with all cameras??

USB charging has been a feature on Sony bodies for a while now. I think that the mark II series was the first to allow charging while in use too, so many people used a power bank for longer shoots. Mark III has microUSB and USB-C and you use both to charge (depending on the cable you have available) or you can use one for charging an the other for some sort of camera control (intervalometer? tethering?).

Not enough of an upgrade over the MK2 for stills and without 10bit and / or a better internal codec for Video it's not going to replace my GH5 for Video. I somehow doubt that the A7s3 will address these issues so for me it's a win , win as far as my budget is concerned.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can bet the A7S III will blow it away for video.

I very much doubt that given the very minor changes to the video specs of this new model.

4 hours ago, thefactory said:

So close to pulling the trigger on gh5 now. Some good stuff there but not enough to pick this over the gh5 for video. A7siii when?

3 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

so, a7s mark3 when?!?, hope it's going to be this year too :(

3 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I doubt it. I'd bet we're now looking at spring/summer 2018.

My guess is within 6 months - ahead of NAB 2018.

Only saying that because they literally released the Sony a7r II and a7s II within 2 to 3 months of each other.... but Sony has some real erratic behavior sometimes... so it can even be 2 years later.

The industry is turning HDR (an actually needed, good, desirable technology for better pixels instead of just more pixels) into a sad joke, first with companies like Benq selling 8bit, 500nits "HDR" monitors, now with Sony selling a pseudo-HDR 8bit camera. What a cl*sterf*ck.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Sony is becoming the new Canon.

6 hours ago, tellure said:

No 10bit and oh my god, we're still at a 100Mbps bitrate for 24p/30p 4K?!?!  Goddamn Sony.. throw us a bone for video here.

2 hours ago, Germy1979 said:

It makes no f’ing sense to me, whatsoever to offer S-Log 3 to people in 8-bit at 100mbps in 2017.  We should be talking about banding like payphones.  

OK, I usually try to post on this forum only if I have information to share, but in this case I find it absurd that people expect every new camera to be a RED for less than $3000.

People were shooting big budget features on shitty 8 bit 1080p when the 5DII came out and hailing it as the best non-film image ever.

If you need more: Buy. A. More. Expensive. Camera.

Get some perspective.

3 hours ago, maxotics said:

If this camera camera out a few years ago the title of the post would be "Sony just killed the Canon C100" :) 

Thank you.

For me the A7rIII is everything that I wished from an A7rII upgrade. These are just the improvements on the video side:

Amazing AF from A9

Sgammut3.cine  

better low light performance

lower rolling shutter

EVF from A9

Better ergonomics 

At least double the battery life

S35/FF switch with a button! 

Bright LCD during 4K recording

USB3.1 tranfers

Dual SD card

Improved FF quality

Improved IBIS

Proxy recording!

Personally I don't think there is any competition for Sony right now. 

34 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

OK, I usually try to post on this forum only if I have information to share, but in this case I find it absurd that people expect every new camera to be a RED for less than $3000.

People were shooting big budget features on shitty 8 bit 1080p when the 5DII came out and hailing it as the best non-film image ever.

If you need more: Buy. A. More. Expensive. Camera.

Get some perspective.

Thank you.

This isn’t Gearslutz.  You don’t need to be a condescending dick on the internet.  Bitching about  S-log in an 8-bit  codec isn’t being ungrateful, it’s questioning innovation and crippling to protect your $10,000 cameras when  the GH5 offers 10-bit for $2000.  

Boom.  Perspective.  Dismount your high horse dude.

I was hoping that it would have a fully articulating screen that comes out to the side (like Canon and Panasonic often use). The flip up above or down below screens you see on some other Sony cameras don't play well with mounting the camera on a tripod or having a mic in the hotshoe. Wonder if this is something they would also add to a potential A7S III.

I was surprised to see they've added 2x usb inputs so you can charge and also plug in an intervalometer. Though the bigger Z series battery would also help when doing longer timelapses or video.

24 minutes ago, Germy1979 said:

This isn’t Gearslutz.  You don’t need to be a condescending dick on the internet.  Bitching about  S-log in an 8-bit  codec isn’t being ungrateful, it’s questioning innovation and crippling to protect your $10,000 cameras when  the GH5 offers 10-bit for $2000.  

I really, seriously, for the life of me, don't get it.  Canon maybe...Sony crippling their cameras?  I can't see any real world difference between 10bit and 8bit in an 8bit space.  I've tried.  Please don't get angry with me, but for me 10bit is a sham.  I don't look at the camera makers as giving me a better image, I look at them as marketing hokum.  Whatever banding 10bit may eliminate in a clear blue sky is smoothed over by the time the image reaches the viewer, in the real world.  

The achilles heal of these cameras, vs cinema cameras, is highlight roll-off. 

So the question to me, is what would you rather have, HDR or a 10bit CODEC?  Banding in a sky, shadows gone noisey -- I can deal with that.  A face with a white blotch on it, no.  It's horrible! For me, it's F-this camera time :)

10bit doesn't fix it because 10bit has nothing to do with dynamic range.  Sure, you can shoot in S-LOG, but now you're sacrificing color detail.  HDR, seems to me, might solve that problem.  So why should Sony put out 10bit over HDR?  It seems to me HDR is the real INNOVATION here (probably a type of dual ISO).  If it works well, it can make a big real-world difference.   

Yet, I believe it will also be marketing hokum!  It's probably what they call 10bit now ;)  Still, we need to see what the camera will do.  

I thought HDR actually had 10bit as part of the spec? However a lot of TV and monitor makers (and now 8bit cameras) are advertising 8bit hardware as being HDR... 

If this is confusing to the kind of user who would frequent a site like this, it's going to be even worse to the general public and casual staff in big box electronic stores.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

This thing shits all over the D850 ..

Yeah right. 

Don't even go there. It will be better at some things and much much worse at some. Two different type of cameras for different shooters. One is a DSLR for crying out loud.

Some will love it and others hate it. There is no camera that shits all over another camera. Thats just silly.

Personally I still see the first generation of A7/r/s as the ones to get. Much better ergo for my hands.