Jump to content
jonpais

Say Your Goodbyes to V-Log Lite and Cinelike D

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@jonpais Hey Jon, I know I´ve been asking this before. But really, it seems like with -5 sharpness in HLG profile sharpness can completely be turned off, I mean like "Canon 1DC CLOG style - turned off". Is that true? Maybe the sharpness spotter @deezid can chim in.:) Hey, what do you think about the sharpness thing in HLG mode?

Jon, what lens did you shoot this with? The 16mm Sigma in native mft mount? Lookin great!

 

On 12.12.2017 at 9:37 PM, webrunner5 said:

Wow Jon those frame grabs look almost too good LoL. If a person is looking for a reasonably cheap camera with a ton of detail you have it there in your hands. Well done.

Yeah, it´s amazing, what the GH5 can do. A massive camera, offering quality way above its price. I just came to realize that the beefiest internal codec for 4K on the C300 II is a 400MBit Intra. Crazy, isn´t it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PannySVHS Unfortunately, sharpening can't be turned down any further than -5.in HLG :( Turning NR down to -5 and using a tripod or rig is also going to result in more detail than hand holding the camera with noise reduction at default setting. You can see this in the downloadable footage I linked to, where you can count each individual eyelash on the model's face. I'd really like to pick up a Helios 44 if I can find one, since I think that lens, combined with the colors from HLG, would be a killer combo. I was bracketing a lot at first, and I still do sometimes, since it takes a while to get the hang of proper exposure with a new photo style; but 400Mbps eats up storage like nobody's business,, so I'm trying to cut down on the amount of bracketing I do - it'll also simplify editing and color correction a lot. I'm not really even sure whether 400Mbps is absolutely necessary for what I do, but the camera body gets so blazing hot when shooting that way, it feels like I'm really accomplishing something. :=) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonpais said:

@PannySVHS I'm not really even sure whether 400Mbps is absolutely necessary for what I do, but the camera body gets so blazing hot when shooting that way,

If you have little movement in scene the 150Mbs ipb gives better compression = less compression artifacts 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@jonpais Hey Jon, I know I´ve been asking this before. But really, it seems like with -5 sharpness in HLG profile sharpness can completely be turned off, I mean like "Canon 1DC CLOG style - turned off". Is that true? Maybe the sharpness spotter @deezid can chim in.:) Hey, what do you think about the sharpness thing in HLG mode?

 

For me, an option to turn off sharpening completely would the biggest single thing Panasonic could do to raise the GH5 image quality. The colour is fine - or at least can be graded to look good, DR is acceptable, the image fidelity is great, but the over sharpening and image processing just puts it in DSLR territory rather than organic feeling BM Ursa 4.6 territory.

To my eye, the GH5 5/6k samples I've seen look far better - silky smooth and expensive looking. It seems like either the photo modes have less sharpening, or the downsampling to 4k . or 1080p hides it more.

I haven't had a chance to test it out on my GH5 yet. Anyone got an opinion on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My quote went wrong. This is right

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm not really even sure whether 400Mbps is absolutely necessary for what I do, but the camera body gets so blazing hot when shooting that way, 

If you have only little movement in scene the 150Mbs ipb gives better compression = less compression artifacts

 

35 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

To my eye, the GH5 5/6k samples I've seen look far better - silky smooth and expensive looking. It seems like either the photo modes have less sharpening, or the downsampling to 4k . or 1080p hides it more.

I haven't had a chance to test it out on my GH5 yet. Anyone got an opinion on that?

I think 6k photo and 6k anamorphic uses different NR and processing than 4k video modes. HEVC may also cause different look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, austinchimp said:

For me, an option to turn off sharpening completely would the biggest single thing Panasonic could do to raise the GH5 image quality. The colour is fine - or at least can be graded to look good, DR is acceptable, the image fidelity is great, but the over sharpening and image processing just puts it in DSLR territory rather than organic feeling BM Ursa 4.6 territory.

To my eye, the GH5 5/6k samples I've seen look far better - silky smooth and expensive looking. It seems like either the photo modes have less sharpening, or the downsampling to 4k . or 1080p hides it more.

I haven't had a chance to test it out on my GH5 yet. Anyone got an opinion on that?

In the info box of Peter Gregg's 6K YT video, he says that other than VERY minor adjustments, the file is OOC (Out of Camera) - and it is crazy sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jonpais said:

In the info box of Peter Gregg's 6K YT video, he say that other than VERY minor adjustments, the file is OOC (Out of Camera) - and it is crazy sharp.

You're right, that is super sharp - but I'm talking about when you put sharpness at -5. In normal 4k modes there's always a residual artificial looking sharpness and what looks like noise reduction. This isn't a theory I've tested, but just from looking at youtube samples, the 5/6k modes appear capable of more organic, smoother looking images. Still super detailed, but not distractingly sharp. A couple of examples below. I haven't included any films shot with anamorphic lenses as they tend to soften the image anyway.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, austinchimp said:

For me, an option to turn off sharpening completely would the biggest single thing Panasonic could do to raise the GH5 image quality. The colour is fine - or at least can be graded to look good, DR is acceptable, the image fidelity is great, but the over sharpening and image processing just puts it in DSLR territory rather than organic feeling BM Ursa 4.6 territory.

To my eye, the GH5 5/6k samples I've seen look far better - silky smooth and expensive looking. It seems like either the photo modes have less sharpening, or the downsampling to 4k . or 1080p hides it more.

I haven't had a chance to test it out on my GH5 yet. Anyone got an opinion on that?

I agree. It's the additional harshness in even at -5 sharpening which makes the GH5 still look cheap without any further filtering before and in post.

-5 sharpening is still far away from being off sadly. In 6k mode the sharpening is almost off at least.

11 hours ago, austinchimp said:

You're right, that is super sharp - but I'm talking about when you put sharpness at -5. In normal 4k modes there's always a residual artificial looking sharpness and what looks like noise reduction. This isn't a theory I've tested, but just from looking at youtube samples, the 5/6k modes appear capable of more organic, smoother looking images. Still super detailed, but not distractingly sharp. A couple of examples below. I haven't included any films shot with anamorphic lenses as they tend to soften the image anyway.

 

 

 

Exactly. The 6k/5k modes look way more organic and softer, but showing the same amount of detail - almost RED like.

Wish Panasonic would give us an option to turn this mess off in 4K as well, since the 4K 10 bit H264 codecs are way more robust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not seeing anything 'super detailed' here at all: what I am seeing are distractingly shallow depth of field, out-of-focus images and shaky camera work. They don't look any more 'organic' to me, they both scream video. Why? Not because of 6K, but because of the lighting. And 6K doesn't offer the possibility to shoot 24p. Please let's stay on topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'm not seeing anything 'super detailed' here at all: what I am seeing are distractingly shallow depth of field, out-of-focus images and shaky camera work. They don't look any more 'organic' to me, they both scream video. Why? Not because of 6K, but because of the lighting. And 6K doesn't offer the possibility to shoot 24p. Please let's stay on topic.

I thought the GH5 had a 6K/24p Anamorphic Video Mode in a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm not seeing anything 'super detailed' here at all: what I am seeing are distractingly shallow depth of field, out-of-focus images and shaky camera work. They don't look any more 'organic' to me, they both scream video. Why? Not because of 6K, but because of the lighting. And 6K doesn't offer the possibility to shoot 24p. Please let's stay on topic.

Apologies for sending this off topic, and this is my final post on the matter - but I wasn't referring to the lighting or any 'cinematic' quality of the footage from an artistic sense - these clips are clearly just quick test footage - but purely the image capture of the camera.

 

Back to topic - is there a way of using custom monitoring LUTs with HLG in camera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

Apologies for sending this off topic, and this is my final post on the matter - but I wasn't referring to the lighting or any 'cinematic' quality of the footage from an artistic sense - these clips are clearly just quick test footage - but purely the image capture of the camera.

 

Back to topic - is there a way of using custom monitoring LUTs with HLG in camera?

Cool. There are two modes in the GH5, one and two. I use one and it seems to work out just fine. I don't use any LUTs for viewing on a monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 10:14 AM, jase said:

Conducted some tests on my own. I have to agree that the LeemingLUT does wonders with just applying it - however, I (personally) dont find the HLG-based results much better than cineD with FilmConvert...

HLG OOC:

hlg_org.thumb.jpg.427736e5038c1b1f23f06053ee609c84.jpg

HLG with LeemingLUT applied

hlg.thumb.jpg.91fbe24ff5d1853b45fdc3d8c1602549.jpg

CineD OOC:

cined_org.thumb.jpg.5c40062dcc9af64a9cc267992c473c9d.jpg

CineD graded:

cineD_fc.thumb.jpg.178065772f4fc145804763811b6e7e0d.jpg

Funny, I found pretty the opposite (and distinct enough to notice it... :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...