jonpais

Say Your Goodbyes to V-Log Lite and Cinelike D

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 5.55.33 PM.png

@jonpais

Which camera was this shot with? And no wonder the zoo wouldn‚Äôt let you in with that thing on your back. ūüėú

Seriously though, I like the BTS idea. Nice work. 

Thanks @mercer. My assistant shot the BTS with my G85, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN, Cinelike D.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:50 AM, jonpais said:

Lumix GH5, 400Mbps, ALL-I, HLG, ISO 400, NR -5, Sharpening -5, ETC Mode, Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 5.03.05 PM.png

@anonim I'm taking your advice. I've begun doing some BTS, and hopefully I can go over the whole process from start to finish.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 5.55.33 PM.png

I'd love to see @Sage apply his GHAlexa conversion to some of your frames Jon, it would give us a good indication of the kind of colour possible with the HLG. You have some great shots of skin tones.

17 hours ago, jonpais said:

Thanks @mercer. My assistant shot the BTS with my G85, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN, Cinelike D.

Nice set up. The G85 is such a great deal. Just from those two Grabs, it seems that the G85 gets you 80%, if not more, than what you get with the GH5? Full disclosure... I’m looking at these on my phone. Would love to see some BTS with the X-T2, if you can swing it, on an upcoming shoot.

I have to be honest, @mercer, as much as I love my G85... I'm in the process of editing a project right now, and comparing the shots I've done with the G85 and Cinelike D to those with the GH5 and HLG - the difference is pretty dramatic - HLG has at least a one stop advantage over Cinelike D, and the colors are frankly more pleasing. So much so, that I regret not having purchased the GH5 as soon as it was available instead of waiting six months or whatever. To be fair, I should compare both Cinelike D and HLG on the GH5, but that doesn't interest me a whole bunch. You can however find YouTube videos where the two photo styles are used side-by-side, to quite good effect. 

11 hours ago, austinchimp said:

I'd love to see @Sage apply his GHAlexa conversion to some of your frames Jon, it would give us a good indication of the kind of colour possible with the HLG. You have some great shots of skin tones.

Sure; @jonpais for HLG screen shots, you can use the attached prep file on the footage, or Premiere's 'Full to Legal Range'

GHa Full to Legal (ProRes VLog) [PRE].cube

I really like where you went with the first. The 2nd... works a little 'flattened'. Feel like there's more 'pop' if you'd go more something like:

prKyfRO.jpg

The foreground (her face, the tree on the right and the plant on the lower left) comes alive a bit more like that. (Still just general color & exposure/contrast tweaks, no masks or anything).

_

Yeah, appreciate the work you're putting in, Jon! Good schtuff. HLG is pretty new to everyone, even if they have tv sets to sell, props to Panasonic for getting in early rather than later. I mean, Canon: 4K and HLG coming to consumers in 202... eh... ..30! :grimace: Of course, early adopting means some stuff to figure out. So good thing we can have some samples and workflows! I see HLG as Bitcoin... now let's see its value go up and up! :tounge:

@jonpais great job, Jon! I won¬īt be able to dl the footage too soon, due to slow internet connection. Thank you very much for your awesome effort and findings! I would wonder if in HLG profile one can completely turn down sharpness. Natural on the GH5 is still very sharp even with -5 on sharpness. Well, anyway, awesome work and great screenshot and color! cheers

Conducted some tests on my own. I have to agree that the LeemingLUT does wonders with just applying it - however, I (personally) dont find the HLG-based results much better than cineD with FilmConvert...

HLG OOC:

hlg_org.thumb.jpg.427736e5038c1b1f23f06053ee609c84.jpg

HLG with LeemingLUT applied

hlg.thumb.jpg.91fbe24ff5d1853b45fdc3d8c1602549.jpg

CineD OOC:

cined_org.thumb.jpg.5c40062dcc9af64a9cc267992c473c9d.jpg

CineD graded:

cineD_fc.thumb.jpg.178065772f4fc145804763811b6e7e0d.jpg

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Nice work, @jase. It looks like HLG is holding more detail in the t-shirt, whereas in Cinelike D, it's difficult to make out?

Yes for sure, there is somewhat more DR in HLG! However, next week I will shoot my first mini doc about a windsurfer in capetown and slowmo (especially 4k60p) is very welcomed there... On the other hand the ALL-I codec might get much better along with macro-blocking and waves. mh...

@jase If the bottom image were lightened up a bit to match the graded HLG frame grab, it would be easier to see the differences I think. If you look at the arms, Cinelike D looks a little splotchy and coarse, whereas HLG looks smooth. A gentler transition between tones? Really great of you to share this! 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@jase If the bottom image were lightened up a bit to match the graded HLG frame grab, it would be easier to see the differences I think. If you look at the arms, Cinelike D looks a little splotchy and coarse, whereas HLG looks smooth. A gentler transition between tones? Really great of you to share this! 

Second try...

HLG:

hlg_v2.thumb.jpg.6604442871a37617902340ee19ce8073.jpg

CineD

cined_v2.thumb.jpg.ca35fc41414d9ac982fdac13c0649f71.jpg

Still far away from being perfect. I think HLG is more accurate how my skin really looks like, but I still like the cineD version a tad more...

Just now, jonpais said:

@jase Have you played around with any of the Leeming LUT Quickies yet? 

Nope. I am in the middle of the process on determining the best settings for my doc. However my findings up until now show, that both look pretty good. Of course I am using CineD for quite some time now and only just started using HLG, so it is not a fair comparison at all.