jonpais

Say Your Goodbyes to V-Log Lite and Cinelike D

1 hour ago, anonim said:

Last example... for me the best seems - don't touch anything!

I have to second that. Driftwood & Leeming looks a bit orange too me and the lips are looking weird, too. Anyways, will conduct some test on my own and am willing to share the results :)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/28/2017 at 5:40 PM, buggz said:

And this information on another forum, I hope to try all this soon:

"Yes, HLG is available with 6K anamorphic mode.
In another note, besides Paul's excellent HLG LUT, you can also use HLG natively with Resolve 14 for Rec 709 delivery:
- In Project Settings, under Color Management, Change to Davinci Color Managed
- Under Color Management select:
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Input Color Space
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Timeline Color Space
-- Rec 709 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Output Color Space
In this way I am getting quite similar results - I haven't compared color accuracy, etc, but in general both look georgeous.
Paul's LUT has the advantage that it can be used when the project is not color managed in this way, so you can mix and match footage"

Thanks for that. Better than anything else I've tried so far!

For me (and mine laptop monitor), I have to said - although an obvious improvement has been made in minor correction version, HLG original is still the best one.

It seems to me that any global correction on gamma and lift curve sides here inevitably leads to crushed black and losing fine details. I supposed that here is the exemplarian case of application of secondary correction tools: selecting face tonality and add to it tiny little bit of yellow (these are Vietnamese after all!) and red... if any necessity really is found. But it is matter of taste - me personally think that our eye naturally tries to smooth-compensate strong contrasts and make even distribution of tones which result that even chinese skin doesn't look too different to caucasian origin.

It is, I think, noble fakery of human eye at work, but eye is nature and computer precision is not... or, I'm - as very often - simply wrong.

Commenting on another member’s remark over at dvxuser that the Nick Driftwood LUT looks identical to converting to rec 709 in DaVinci Resolve 14, Paul Leeming has this to say,

Yeah, Nick himself said to me that it's just a transform LUT to go from Rec2020 to Rec709. It's a mathematical LUT, hence it being the same as Resolve's.

What mine is designed for is proper Rec709 colorimetry and accuracy.

The problem with Panasonic has always been that their colorimetry isn't Rec709 accurate out the box. That's no different with their HLG LUT. So even if you were to remain in Rec2020 space, you'd still need to correct the HLG profile colorimetry to be accurate.

Currently I don't have a Rec2020 monitor to do anything in that space, and neither do 99% of editors out there, so for most people, my HLG - Rec709 correction LUT is the best option.  

Source

If you plan on delivering HDR, since the least expensive monitor I was able to find runs USD $20K, the best alternative for now would probably be hooking up to an HDR television set.

Strangely, I quite and much like your HLG ooc footage - but it has to be that my taste is strange too.

What Leeming's quicky you used, Jon - I think that some of them are pretty subtle, basic balance and basic lowcon for example.

@anonim I think the LUTs should probably be used at a much lower intensity than I was used to in the past. The reason for this is that previous versions of Leeming's LUTs tended to raise luminance values, whereas v501 does not. Also, Paul hasn't updated his Quickies yet, so they have a strong tendency to darken and oversaturate the image. He'll be releasing v3 of the Quickies shortly. It sure would simplify matters if I just did like several here have suggested, which is to shoot Fuji Acros and stop using the GH5 altogether!

@jonpais

Oh, don't be fooled by leisure speculations of others including, of course, myself (I know you'll not and without my suggestion) - just evaluate using of nowadays all capable cameras by level of joy that they grant to you holding them and lenses in hands.

Thought as you are one of the greatest West Wild gunman - Billy the Kid, for example. (Acros is seductive, but 10bit bullet drills deeper and tarantinesco bloodier.)

I like HLG as it's flat enough to use the whole of the GH5's dynamic range and easy to grade. By easy to grade I mean Paul's LUT gives me a very neutral foundation image as a starting point for getting the look I want. I have the V-LOG upgrade on my camera but don't like the way the image is compressed in a narrow tonal range even with 10 bit. At the end of the day HLG is just a flat image profile.

@jonpais

Jon, in your last uploaded examples of Sigma 16mm you showed really wonderful results of using HLG profile OOC.

If you find a time, maybe it'll be nice to make a video about your working process to getting such impressive results. (What mode of HLG, what choosen codec etc. ) Actually, if it is not too complicate, maybe just written step by step procedure. I didn't find any simply understandable post about HLG using as proper flat profile in everyday use.

Thanks, @anonim, good idea! Paul Leeming's own PDF is pretty clear and straightforward, but if you look at his FB page or his DVXUser thread, it's quite apparent that there are still plenty of questions. I'm not seeing much in the way of tutorials over at YouTube either, and many people, myself included, prefer them to a PDF file. If I can get some assistants and a model, I'll see if I can't do a short BTS of a shoot, then post a quick video tutorial showing how to expose and work with the Leeming LUT in FCP.

All pleasure about your devoted works is mine/ours.

I've recently got GH5 and instantly noticed exceptional - even stunning - value of HLG.

But, I had all GH cameras, 3 BM cameras and nearly all m43 lenses as many highbrended lenses via adapter - so it's easy to appreciate HLG. For some less experienced user it might be not so easy.

Actually, I think that just with HLG offer Panasonic close near Blackmagic straightforward shooting territory - which is obscured by overwhelming minor possibilities.

18 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Lumix GH5, 400Mbps, ALL-I, HLG, ISO 400, NR -5, Sharpening -5, ETC Mode, Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 5.03.05 PM.png

Hi! This image looks awesome!

Can you tell me more information about WB and exposure settings for this shot?

And, how did you achieve this look? Leeming's  LUT?  What NLE did you use?

So many quaestions... So many to learn :)

Thank you! Great work.

2 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

Hi! This image looks awesome!

Can you tell me more information about WB and exposure settings for this shot?

And, how did you achieve this look? Leeming's  LUT?  What NLE did you use?

So many quaestions... So many to learn :)

Thank you! Great work.

Thank you so much @tihon84. On @jase's suggestion, I've been using the cloudy preset on the GH5. Today happened to be overcast, so the WB was just about perfect, no need to whip out my Colorchecker. Manual focusing with the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN is a waste of time, so I used the BMD Video Assist for confirmation. I shot HLG, 400Mbps, ALL-Intra, ISO 400, NR -5, Sharpening -5, ETC mode. I used the Leeming LUT (85%) and did very minor color correction in FCP X. It is definitely best to give a healthy exposure when shooting HLG.

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Thank you so much @tihon84. On @jase's suggestion, I've been using the cloudy preset on the GH5. Today happened to be overcast, so the WB was just about perfect, no need to whip out my Colorchecker. Manual focusing with the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN is a waste of time, so I used the BMD Video Assist for confirmation. I shot HLG, 400Mbps, ALL-Intra, ISO 400, NR -5, Sharpening -5, ETC mode. I used the Leeming LUT (85%) and did very minor color correction in FCP X. It is definitely best to give a healthy exposure when shooting HLG.

Thank you so much for your speedy reply! 

I just wish that it could be punched in DURING recording, that would be awesome.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

ETC Mode is also deserving of much more praise. Like HLG, another overlooked, incredibly powerful tool.

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Lumix GH5, 400Mbps, ALL-I, HLG, ISO 400, NR -5, Sharpening -5, ETC Mode, Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 5.03.05 PM.png

That looks really good Jon

26 minutes ago, buggz said:

I just wish that it could be punched in DURING recording, that would be awesome.

Ah, that would be cool... hadn't considered that one before. Kind of like El Mariachi punch ins, or instant prime swapping