jonpais

Say Your Goodbyes to V-Log Lite and Cinelike D

Is there really more dyn range in HLG compared to cineD? I would like to see example frames?

Is HLG working with 8 bit 4k modes? 

I have not yet updated my GH5. Is the iso100 working properly not as Panasonic claims. I mean clipped highlights with iso100? Is iso100 best for HLG?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Vesku said:

Is there really more dyn range in HLG compared to cineD? I would like to see example frames?

Is HLG working with 8 bit 4k modes? 

I have not yet updated my GH5. Is the iso100 working properly not as Panasonic claims. I mean clipped highlights with iso100? Is iso100 best for HLG?

Like V-LOG, HLG is limited to a base ISO of 400.

Those who are skeptical about the dynamic range of HLG rec. 709 but don't want to fork out the 25 euros for the Leeming LUT can go into Resolve (a free app) and remap the gamma and gamut to rec. 709  and see for themselves whether hybrid log gamma rec. 709 has greater tonality than Cinelike D.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Those who are skeptical about the dynamic range of HLG rec. 709 but don't want to fork out the 25 euros for the Leeming LUT can go into Resolve (a free app) and remap the gamma and gamut to rec. 709  and see for themselves whether hybrid log gamma rec. 709 has greater tonality than Cinelike D.

Why in Euros? Paul is Australian based in Tokyo...

EDIT -- Never mind... I've just read he has moved to Netherlands this EU Summer.

BTW, that would be such a bargain:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?159024-Epic-Dragon-6K-camera-with-accessories&s=26764c42d668d6f467c6a2f1225c7d87&p=1751914&viewfull=1#post1751914

@Sage looks nice. Looking forward to the details.

Back one topic - from what I've seen HLG has a baked in look with a bit to much contrast at the expense of dynamic range as compared to V-LOG IMHO.  I would love to be wrong on this one.

@jonpais Would you be willing to shoot a high contract scene (or whatever appropriate) with both HLG, V-Log and Cinelike D apply the appropriate Leeming Lut (I liked the Basic Balanced Lut the best DTW), so we could set the benefits of one over the other? 

Thanks!

Mark

While all of the LUTs for Panasonic were updated with v501, the looks, or Quickies were not, and applying them to footage makes it very dark. I wrote Paul Leeming about this, who responded:

I need to update the Quickies for the new v501 LUTs, as they are based on the previous versions of the corrective LUTs, which had a brighter pre-curve built in.

For now it's easiest to add a bit of brightness back to the Quickie, or you can do what I'm currently doing and set the Quickie to about 30-40% intensity (or gain, depending on your editing software).

Hope this helps!

I'll be updating the Quickies next month some time.

And this information on another forum, I hope to try all this soon:

"Yes, HLG is available with 6K anamorphic mode.
In another note, besides Paul's excellent HLG LUT, you can also use HLG natively with Resolve 14 for Rec 709 delivery:
- In Project Settings, under Color Management, Change to Davinci Color Managed
- Under Color Management select:
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Input Color Space
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Timeline Color Space
-- Rec 709 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Output Color Space
In this way I am getting quite similar results - I haven't compared color accuracy, etc, but in general both look georgeous.
Paul's LUT has the advantage that it can be used when the project is not color managed in this way, so you can mix and match footage"

Thanks, @Vesku I think it's going to be a long time till people realize that what JD Gear says: Hybrid Log is not just for HDR TV !!  is true. In fact, at the moment, HLG rec. 2020 is really only for the very few willing to shell out $1,000 on an Atomos Inferno, then perhaps using same for editing, and as much as a couple grand for a 55" OLED television set (after all, why bother if you're only going to view your work on a 4" smartphone screen?). You could upload your clips to YouTube, but most people still won't see it as intended.