jonpais

Say Your Goodbyes to V-Log Lite and Cinelike D

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 15.12.2017 at 1:47 AM, deezid said:

-5 sharpening is still far away from being off sadly. In 6k mode the sharpening is almost off at least.

Exactly. The 6k/5k modes look way more organic and softer, but showing the same amount of detail - almost RED like.

I tried this on my own. The following two shots are taken in 24p 10bit HLG 150mbit and 6k 24p 200mbit. After that I applied some grading with some grain, what I noticed is that the 6k image is indeed a bit less sharp (compare the ear for example), however the amount of detail is still the same - at least to my eyes. Obviously you need to check the files at 100%, otherwise you wont see it. At least I dont.

4k HLG

pieter_hlg_4k.thumb.jpg.a6208c6847a7ab7e2b0b26644f6b3925.jpg

6k HLG

pieter_hlg_6k.thumb.jpg.d0b6a0c4f14d32e730e7d9bb8b66752c.jpg

39 minutes ago, mercer said:

I prefer this one more than the first, which profile was this shot with?

It is the same shot, so thus again HLG with Leeming LUT, however this time i applied my "usual" way of grading here as well on top.

9 minutes ago, jase said:

It is the same shot, so thus again HLG with Leeming LUT, however this time i applied my "usual" way of grading here as well on top.

Haha, I looked at the other shot last night, so I figured they were slightly different by your reply.

Do you have any shots from the same location that you didn’t use HLG and/or the Leeming LUT? 

I know the common conception is that HLG is better than CineLikeD but I’m not so sure I agree.

CineLikeD seems to have more texture than HLG, like HLG has been smoothed out too much?

Your videos have always had a pop to them which I am not seeing with any HLG footage. Of course, most people seem to like it, so I’m probably off base.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:26 PM, jase said:

This is HLG in C4K (150mbit), shot ETTR with Leeming LUT applied and some minor exposure corrections.. I think I am sold.pieter.thumb.jpg.25ba6306eeb89bc3239222829aa86790.jpg

Hi Jase, would it be possible to post the raw still before any effects/luts, I'd like to try applying a custom LUT to it as I'm having some issues with HLG.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Hi Jase, would it be possible to post the raw still before any effects/luts, I'd like to try applying a custom LUT to it as I'm having some issues with HLG.

Thanks!

Sure, here you go:

hlg_ooc.thumb.jpg.dab75d3dc0f0717765134d82bc29aee8.jpg

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@jonpais, I like the pacing of your video, great edit. Could it be that the sound is a bit harder to hear than it was on your Sigma 16mm video?

Thanks. We first shot in a quiet bright cafe, but I didn’t like the lighting or color. We ended up shooting on a holiday weekend on one of Saigon’s busiest streets, and the mics were acting up too. But I really just wanted to get this done. Next time! 🙂 Now I can update FCP X at last!

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 7.06.12 PM.png

One of your best GH5 frames to date with this model.

To be honest though, I am not completely sold on HLG over vLog or CineLikeD. If you ever have the time or inclination, I think a comparison test could be an interesting video. I would only ask that you keep the Leeming LUT out of the equation, or at least offer the ungraded clips for download.

Btw, are you still exploring anamorphic? And can anamorphic be shot in HLG or CineLikeD, or do you have to use vLog?