jonpais

Say Your Goodbyes to V-Log Lite and Cinelike D

Since playing around a bit with Paul Leeming’s LUT for HLG to rec. 709 and seeing the excellent skin tones and dynamic range it’s capable of, I’m fairly certain Cinelike D is going to be a thing of the past fairly soon, like upturned Polo collars and bell bottoms (except in South Korea, where unfortunately, the former practice still thrives!). Apologies to those with their newly hacked Lumix GX80s and ‘85s, but it’s time to get with the program - c’mon, you didn’t really think Cinelike was going to let you play with the big boys, did you? I no longer even want to look at Cinelike D again! With HLG and the Leeming LUT, the image fairly pops off my monitor, there’s gobs of information around specular highlights, detail that was lost shooting Cinelike D; and I’ve never gotten such pleasing skin tones before, not with Cinelike and certainly not with that abomination known as Natural, which had to be shot with everything at -5, then processed with that garbage disposal FilmConvert to get something resembling well... something! Then there’s those extra two stops of dynamic range. I realize some may scoff at me and say dynamic range is not all that important, especially those of you who still insist on viewing everything in 540p...  HLG was conceived of as a distribution format; editing it is and will be a bitch for a long time to come; I would go so far as to say that even attempting to grade it would be an act of brazen foolishness; and unless your client or audience already owns an HDR-ready monitor or television set, delivering in HDR makes little or no sense. Take your pick. I go with no sense. To be frank, I can’t tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. And you’d have to stick needles under my fingernails to get me to lie and say I can tell the difference between SDR and HDR unless they were shown side-by-side in split screen.... Whereas any dolt can appreciate the stunning color and tonality of HLG rec. 709 right now. 

written only ever so slightly tongue-in-cheek, with apologies to Canon the Barbarian.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

do you have examples for this statement?

thx

2 hours ago, Linus N said:

Curious about workflow as well, does one need a HDR capable monitor or is this some sort of HLG to SDR wizardry without the need for 10bit 1000nits+ while still getting the benefits of HLG?

Working with the Leeming LUT, it’ll no longer be rec. 2020, but you’ve still got that great color and dynamic range. No need for an external monitor. Here’s a description of the workflow.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

Have you seen the room? The exterior light is coming onto the subject after bouncing off bright yellow surfaces. 

I think it looks like he's right in front of a window actually.. but I might be wrong. And it doesn't look terrible, it's just that amazing skintones was one of the main points of the post, right? So I was just a little unimpressed after that introduction. But it looks nice

4 minutes ago, Liam said:

I think it looks like he's right in front of a window actually.. but I might be wrong. And it doesn't look terrible, it's just that amazing skintones was one of the main points of the post, right? So I was just a little unimpressed after that introduction. But it looks nice

Just look at the picture. I can see bright yellow paint around each window. You can see it on that side of his head. 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’m in Singapore now. When I get back to Saigon, promise a short but brilliant video. 😂

i think you got me wrong. I wasn't sarcastic or something. I just didn't see the footage you were talking about and wanted to have a look. You kinda made me curious about the skin tones. :) cheers

@cojocaru27 Above, I posted a link to a screen grab from a clip shot in HLG and corrected using the Leeming LUT in Orangenz’s Tips and Tricks thread. I finished shooting the obligatory talking head stuff today and will be returning to Saigon tomorrow afternoon. So expect a short video hopefully by the weekend. To learn more about HLG rec. 709, you can also check out the PDF Iinked to above, or Paul Leeming’s FB page. Not sure what’s there since I deleted my FB account over a month ago.

I actually own the CineLikeD Leeming LUT... I bought it for my brief affair with the FZ300 about a year and a half ago. It was in its early stages back then. It was definitely okay but I think I probably could have gotten there on my own with a little work. I did appreciate his quick replies to any questions and the other day I received the updated LUT for free so I thought that was pretty cool. 

Since you have a GH5, I wouldn’t be so fast to just throw a LUT on every video... you may as well just sell it and use your G85?

With Color Finale and 10bit color, you have the tools to do your own corrections and grades. The Leeming LUT seems great for projects that require a quick turnaround, but for those projects that require a personal touch, the one stop shop solution may not always be the best bet.

Between VLog or the CineLike and Rec709 profiles, there are so many options to create unique looks with the GH5, so I hope you continue to work at color correction/grading rather than just slapping a LUT on it and being done.

And @Liam does have a fair point. I understand the yellow paint on the walls and reflection and I think the skin tones held up fairly well under those conditions but to proclaim it as the be all, end all solution for great skin tones may be a bit hyperbolic?

I am loving that Veydra lens though. 

To add, I will say it does look good and I can see the appeal. 

Just tried HLG at home... skin tones seemed really borked but I just dropped the files into premiere and messed around a bit.  A weird yellow tone. 

Some of the youtube samples look good but these videos say you need to use HLG workflow including HDR monitors and NOT using premiere as only resolve and another NLE properly imports the HLG files into the rec2020 color space.