Canon 1DC Transcoding Software

Ollywood88

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Dave, and Olly, You both bought your Canon 1DC used, have either of you had any noticeable pixel issues at any ISO? the only thing that ever put me off the 1DC was some of the nightmares some owners had with pixel problems and repair of them as the 1DC doesn't have a way to remove those pixels when they show up. Just would be such a pain to spend close to $3k and have this problem come up. It sure does put out a lovely image.

11 minutes ago, Dogtown said:

Dave, and Olly, You both bought your Canon 1DC used, have either of you had any noticeable pixel issues at any ISO? the only thing that ever put me off the 1DC was some of the nightmares some owners had with pixel problems and repair of them as the 1DC doesn't have a way to remove those pixels when they show up. Just would be such a pain to spend close to $3k and have this problem come up. It sure does put out a lovely image.

I had a pixel issue but then it went away. 

That was lucky! In the old days of CCD's and my Sony BVW 400, and 600, I had to send the camera in for pixel remapping. Most pro cameras now have the ability to remap the pixel problems without a visit to the service center. It was horrible to get any footage back and have a hot pixel ruin the footage.

A good 4 core i7 machine with a good gpu you can edit in realtime 4k 60p MJPEG in Resolve. Jcs stated the same for premiere. In case of Resolve you gain nothing in converting to prores. 

If you search the forums you can see in which kind of HD it works... 

Thanks Guys 

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

A good 4 core i7 machine with a good gpu you can edit in realtime 4k 60p MJPEG in Resolve. Jcs stated the same for premiere. In case of Resolve you gain nothing in converting to prores. 

If you search the forums you can see in which kind of HD it works... 

My iMac is 2013 I7 3.0GHZ turbo boost ssd 512 and 32gb ram still struggles a bit. I will be editing in Premiere Pro.

Just wanted to see the quickest and most efficient way for pro res to Premiere? 

9 hours ago, Dogtown said:

I haven't used it much for video yet as my A Cam is a Canon C500. I haven't came across this yet? But was it the solution? 

Thanks guys

I've owned the 1dc since release.  I had to send mine in to Canon just once to map out problem pixels after some 20 + minute takes.   Only other issue in 5 years of use was a fail to power on.   Canon promptly fixed both issues free of charge and also offered to ship out a free loner cam if I needed.  The 1dc is as rock solid as they come.  Mine has been in the water beneath a frozen ice covered lake (in a water housing), strapped to a surfboard pounded by waves, suctioned to the hood of a 600hp muscle car on take off, and knocked to the ground on an Xgames style bike jumping course, all without issue.   Guess I should add that Resolve 14 plays my native files smoothly on a mid level i7 pc as long as the files are located on a fast drive, so no transcoding necessary.

I wonder if Canon would fix the pixel if it was sent in from someone other than the original buyer? I'm itching to buy a used 1DC but only if I can get a pixel blemish fixed if it shows up and not be charged for a new sensor? $2-3K for a used camera is not peanuts, and god knows what they charge for new sensor in the 1DC.

1 hour ago, sam said:

I've owned the 1dc since release.  I had to send mine in to Canon just once to map out problem pixels after some 20 + minute takes.   Only other issue in 5 years of use was a fail to power on.   Canon promptly fixed both issues free of charge and also offered to ship out a free loner cam if I needed.  The 1dc is as rock solid as they come.  Mine has been in the water beneath a frozen ice covered lake (in a water housing), strapped to a surfboard pounded by waves, suctioned to the hood of a 600hp muscle car on take off, and knocked to the ground on an Xgames style bike jumping course, all without issue.   Guess I should add that Resolve 14 plays my native files smoothly on a mid level i7 pc as long as the files are located on a fast drive, so no transcoding necessary.

I've heard the pixel issue can eventually come back, any truth to that? And are their preventative measures  one can take to avoid it from happening?

Yes the pixels can come back. Resolve 14 has a  pixel fixer or can be done manually in other software.  You can minimize heat and extra long takes when possible to decrease the chance of occurance. I myself wouldn't have the slightest concern about buying the 1dc used or the potential pixel problem,  but a new 1dxii would certainly be less of a risk.

I didn’t realize Resolve had a pixel fixer! Cool! 

I edit in FCPX and it doesn’t like MJPEG. Plus ProRes LT is slightly smaller file size so I don’t mind it. I like converting to ProRes LT because when I hand off files to people I work with, they all seem to really like how it looks and plays back.