NX-1 3 year anniversary

Juxx989

We'll as I see it the two websites that were champion of NX1 was EOSHD  (it earned its own hack forum here) and DP Review (they prob got paid by samsung) 

article looking back at what was and what could have been.   After reading the article check comment section is quite interesting.  All most 300 replies in 24hours.  

https://***URL removed***/articles/3890465710/tbt-the-samsung-nx1-is-still-impressive-three-years-later

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would also like to add to that I am extremely happy with how the NX1 has aged meaning that if you asked me last year if I would still be using my NX1 in a year I likely would have said no yet here I am and I don't even see anything on the horizon that could really grab my attention for another year.

I always thought that once the GH5 saw a price drop I would pick one up but I am not really that drawn and with the GH6 at least a year or more away I could be using my NX1 until I end up finally dropping it off a cliff and need to replace it.

Most of the replies on DPR just arrogant and insulting.

DPR wasn't paid by Samsung in anyway, until recently people speculated about being paid by Sony, but their last reviews of Sony are very fair, I would say.

NX1 was just cool, everyone with a right mind could see all the potential through the specs, the innovation, traditional ergonomics, a modern hybrid that together with the S lenses was just unbeatable at the time, I do not see why someone had to pay money for someone to see that.

GH5 is not even 6 months old in my country, and I see product cycles on higher end cameras to increase. I wouldn't expect a new GH before 2019, and that is when I expect to change system.

I have all the lenses I need, I have 4 cameras with all form factors, I have 28 BSI photos and 4K from from 6.5K downsampling, no overheating, best battery in mirrorless, best menu system, a great EVF, good Super AMOLED touch screens, still best wireless  implementation (GH5s is very good too), great color, ergonomics.

what it doesn't have is great ISO performance, IBIS and 10 bit.

The first is the most important for me, we have fast primes and the 2f S zoom, but 3200 and 6400 would be just brilliant,

IBIS I do not care, and Crane V2 is cheap these days and 10 bit is very specialized and one has to have the total workflow to do anything with it.

DPR wasn't paid by Samsung in anyway

Says so very clearly in more than one video look at the description on youtube

This is a DPReview production made possible with the support of Samsung and Amazon. For more: dpreview.com/sponsored <----

Some of the comments were ok....

"Still the best camera I've ever owned..."

"Hurts a bit. Should have bought during the firesale for $1000. Now they go for $2k used." (not sure if this is true)

Some good but there is alot of toxic comments tho...

CTB Approved?

Amazon owns DPR, that is well known.

They are doing those kind of videos for years now, and with all the brands. I do not think that camera makers paying them money every time they review or test gear, cameras, lenses, or whatever.

Back then NX1 was the most modern hybrid in the market, I do not see in their review any lies, or trying to push people buying NX.

I wish Samsung had paid a few people, notably photographers and videographers, but they failed miserably in their (lack of-) marketing.

15 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I can say to this day I have not used a camera with an image as brilliant as the hacked nx1. Too bad Samsung pulled support for a camera I still see as being ahead of its time ! a nx2 with ibis was my dream

I thought you have already switched to some of competitiors (A6500?)  ;-) So NX1 is still better?

My "next system" will need to be 8k@30, 4k@120, 2k@460, apsc or bigger, 10-12bit at all the resolutions, with very high bitrate (over 200) and h.265, in a packaging with the size of nx1 and a cost of 2k$ for the body at most. And a good selection of outstanding, yet affordable, af lenses.

I think I'll have to wait several years, since Samsung is no longer in the game.

@kidzrevil Can you propose any specific way (software/process) to handle those H265 files?

What do you thing are the benefits of such a transcode?

As of the NX, I have 2 NX1, 1 NX500 and 1 NX3000 with all the lenses I need, natively.

Every time there is a new camera, I am consider the pluses and the minuses, even now, there isn't a clear winner in front of me. Right now I am thinking, to just keep everything I have, and go on, until they broke.

Ibis for me ain't a big deal (I am old school monopod/tripod kind of guy), and I am using gimbals for when I really need it (even AF with the right settings is great on Ronin and even lighter ones). I recently started using DIS also, good to have, works quite well if you do not expect the moon and the earth (it is good together with the cropping that it does with some primes)

The other cameras I use most (Canon C100mkII, JVC LS300) ain't 10 bit either, and do NOT have any high speed capabilities, while the 120 frames of NX1 are perfect for me (and too much most of the times, I shoot PAL 100frames).

Unlimited recording (73 minutes in reality), even relatively slow and cheap cards do the magic, the ergonomics of the NX1 is unparalleled, the touch screen UI just out of this world (most competitors do not even have proper touchscreen functions!), monitors do not dim, stays cool even with hacking bitrates, best mirrorless battery performance (GH4 was good also), and some unique lenses I LOVE to use (such as the tiny 10mm fish eye, a gem of a lens)

Most of my footage ain't even 4K(UHD), so I do not feel like I have exhausted everything these cameras can do, and also, great photo cameras!

I add the 2 things that eventually will lead me to change though, High ISO is terrible above 1600 (NR and all), I wish that the limit was 3200 and 6400 usable with Neat video or something (I know, just 1-2 stops, but it makes a lot of difference in my line of work, and I could use easier slower lenses, such as the excellent 12-24 and 50-200) and I can not zoom in to focus while the camera records. I am considering the Small HD Focus (for other cameras too), but it will add to a very light and small camera, but I want to see if it is solving the problem, and focus peaking on NX seems to me that is working great.

Just now, Kisaha said:

@kidzrevil Can you propose any specific way (software/process) to handle those H265 files?

What do you thing are the benefits of such a transcode?

I use dali's mustache which was formerly known as v4 convert http://hdcinematics.com/

the benefits that I have noticed using their software is an increase in micro contrast thus making tonality better and the noise is masked due to the compression from 4k to 1080. Your perceptual resolution takes a huge leap and your workflow is faster if you transcode to something like dnxhd. Transcoding to 10bit is not going to give you increased DR or anything like that but the true oversampling from 4k to 1080 is visible. Works wonders if you deliver in 1080 like I do

10 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

My "next system" will need to be 8k@30, 4k@120, 2k@460, apsc or bigger, 10-12bit at all the resolutions, with very high bitrate (over 200) and h.265, in a packaging with the size of nx1 and a cost of 2k$ for the body at most. And a good selection of outstanding, yet affordable, af lenses.

I think I'll have to wait several years, since Samsung is no longer in the game.

Yes, because otherwise you just described the NX2 ;-)