Canon 1DC vs Canon 5D Mark IV

liltoua

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hopefully this video will show dissuade you from buying a 5D4 if you need 4k.  From my personal tests, the rolling shutter is so bad you can even see the lag when doing a closeup on someone's face even when you're not panning.  They compare the rolling shutter to the 1DX2 which is far better in 4K when it comes to rolling shutter.

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Most of the cheap C500's I have seen are PL mount, and by the time you buy a external recorder to do 4k well, you might as well buy a stripped down C200 and get DPAF to boot.

Yeah is one of the annoying features of the Canons (vs say Sonys) is you're stuck with PL or EF, you can't switch between!

18 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

Geez! Didn't know it was that bad. Seems like my only option for something compact and under $3K with DPAF from the Canon line is the 70D (?)

Or get a Canon C100 mk1 upgraded to DPAF

Or just get a Sony a6500, the AF is decent enough.

Or hire a 1st AC ;-)

1 hour ago, Ty Harper said:

Geez! Didn't know it was that bad. Seems like my only option for something compact and under $3K with DPAF from the Canon line is the 70D (?)

Well the 80D is the newer model and like Ironfilm said, the C100 is always a good option. 

Also, if you can get the 5D4 for a good price, the 1080p is pretty good. I posted this video in another thread, but this guy did a great job with the high bitrate 1080p on the 5D4 using James Miller’s C-Log profile...

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well the 80D is the newer model and like Ironfilm said, the C100 is always a good option. 

Also, if you can get the 5D4 for a good price, the 1080p is pretty good. I posted this video in another thread, but this guy did a great job with the high bitrate 1080p on the 5D4 using James Miller’s C-Log profile...

The rolling shutter on the 5D MK4 seems unacceptable, and prefer the dslr form factor to the C100/300 line. I'd pick the 70D over the 80D bcuz of the Magic Lantern hack.

1 hour ago, Ty Harper said:

The rolling shutter on the 5D MK4 seems unacceptable, and prefer the dslr form factor to the C100/300 line. I'd pick the 70D over the 80D bcuz of the Magic Lantern hack.

Yeah, not great but better in 1080p. Then again, do you plan on doing a lot of back and forth whip pans? 

They’re on the verge of cracking the 80D which has a faster buffer than the 70D and more AF points. Plus the original Canon firmware 1080p is better with a higher bitrate, all-i codec. Plus the revered Canon crop mode. 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Ahh just like the good old days when all you needed was your Canon dSLR, a nice bright yellow jacket, some moody landscapes and way too much time on your hands with no kidlets to look after ?

19 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

Hopefully this video will show dissuade you from buying a 5D4 if you need 4k.  From my personal tests, the rolling shutter is so bad you can even see the lag when doing a closeup on someone's face even when you're not panning.  They compare the rolling shutter to the 1DX2 which is far better in 4K when it comes to rolling shutter.

So you're saying the rs shows up, even when you're doing static closeups?

• 2 weeks later...