Canon 1DC vs Canon 5D Mark IV

liltoua

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on my next purchase. I guess I should start off with a little bit of my needs. Not sure if it's very obvious that I should just get the Canon 5D Mark IV.

I'm more of a photographer, but I really want to get into videoagraphy as well. That's why I have paired these two since they both support 4k and now the 5D Mark IV has released the CLOG capabilities. Before people start saying that there are better options, I already have a good amount of Canon lens and want to stick with Canon.

Also with the price drop of used Canon 1DC these two are in the same price rang, just one is a lot older than the other. Spec to Spec the 5D Mark IV is clearly the winner, but just wondering what peoples thoughts are?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I own 1DC and have been considering selling and going 5D IV with Canon Log. 

The crop and lack of the great super35 mode and the 30 minute cutoff on the 5div made me stick with 1DC

Nice.. stick with the 1DC Club, following you on Instagram buddy. Hows the c200? 
What monitor are you using with the 1dc? Looking at picking up one. 

Thanks

• Administrators

I would go for the 1D C.

It's a better stills camera not just a better video camera.

The low-light is better as well, compared to the 5D Mark IV.

Battery life, hugely better.

Weather sealing, and build quality is better.

Burst rates... up to 14fps! Massive buffer.

Better AF.

Manual focus in video mode is the only drawback... Except it's not really. Manual focus is just fine.

59 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I would go for the 1D C.

It's a better stills camera not just a better video camera.

The low-light is better as well, compared to the 5D Mark IV.

Battery life, hugely better.

Weather sealing, and build quality is better.

Burst rates... up to 14fps! Massive buffer.

Better AF.

Manual focus in video mode is the only drawback... Except it's not really. Manual focus is just fine.

Yea it's really hard to argue against those points.  I mean this was their top of the line camera at some point for DSLR.  Hard decision, but I might bite the bullet and get the 1DC.  It's a pretty sold camera hanging with the cameras even put out today.

• Administrators

It's a 2012 camera but it was a $12,000 2012 camera, which is why it's still better in many ways than what Canon give you for $3500 today.

The technology hasn't moved on that much anyway.

1D X (1D C) and 1D X Mark II stills quality are almost identical.

5D Mark IV is just a higher megapixel count... but worse in low light.

The 1D C is not old, or past it, in any way.

It would be very very VERY useful to give some context! Such as what exactly are you doing currently, and what do you realistically aspire to do? What gear do you currently have? etc

For instance if this is your first camera, and you're just an amateur hobbyist who will do 80/20 split of stills/video then I'd suggest the Nikon D7500 (or maybe the D750, or even... save a heap, and get a D7100 or even D5200!!). 

• Administrators

The $15,000 is what happens when there's no competition and Canon wants to sell in small quantities to film studios and Hollywood.

Thankfully that was 2012 and this is 2017, very different.

I think Canon don't see a market for another 1D C at silly prices. The 1D X Mark II isn't really a follow-up. It's "only" $6,000 for a start :) Hollywood clearly isn't buying any more DSLRS :)

Not now there is the GH5.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The $15,000 is what happens when there's no competition and Canon wants to sell in small quantities to film studios and Hollywood.

Thankfully that was 2012 and this is 2017, very different.

I think Canon don't see a market for another 1D C at silly prices. The 1D X Mark II isn't really a follow-up. It's "only" $6,000 for a start :) Hollywood clearly isn't buying any more DSLRS :)

Not now there is the GH5.

Agree. 

I brought the 1dc for cheap around 2700 with mic, 3 batteries a card and new charger. I love the camera.  Shane Hurlbut loves the 1DC, Shame the 1dx mark 2 has no CLOG. 

Guys, @DaveAltizer wants to do an in depth guide. 

Keen to hear everyone who uses it their workflow 4k - pro res options. Or any accessories you like of the 1DC

I have had mine for over a year now, and rented it back when it first came out for a documentary in haiti. I had to get insurance because it was so expensive at the time. Crazy how things change. 

I think there is a lot to talk about with it. The Super35 mode is great for when you just need quick and easy, and the 4k on it is better than any of the other 4k dslrs from canon.