Gig Inquiry

fuzzynormal

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

My musician friend once had an interesting idea. If 10 people pool resources every month (say just $100 each), they pay the 1st person in line ($1000) to take the month off to do nothing but record music. Then the next month the same again, but the 2nd person gets the pot. And so on. Then whatever revenue is made at the end of the year from all 10 musicians having something to show in terms of a record, they share that as well.

Interesting idea but doesn't really solve the main problem, which is that consumers no longer really buy any more. 

Between Pandora, Netflix, Amazon, and Redbox the habits of most have been set against long form content creators. 

Not to mention that if I were to buy, from where and what would I purchase? Blu ray? 4K? Soon HDR? Or should they buy digitally from Amazon, iTunes, Vudu? The amount of options paralyzes consumers.

I realize this is not an axiom, but it's mostly true. Unfortunately independent content creators need people to buy, which people just don't really do anymore. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Andrew Reid....It's an interesting idea though...what Edward Burns (Brothers Macmillan) does is, they have a film crew who all own interest in every project...a skeleton crew...it requires having some money up front by everyone involved...they write, produce and make each film themselves as a team, and sell it, presumably to a Streaming service like Netflix or Amazon, and everyone takes their proportional cut and on to the next. With today's gear, this concept is now entirely possible...anyway, he talked about this in an interview of a model by which Indy filmmakers could keep working steadily....I suppose Roger Corman was the precursor to this model...but these concepts have great merit for the right team!