Forum guidelines

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

These are not hard rules but I have some suggestions for making the place easier to read and less cluttered...

1. Please don't quote an entire post or topic as the next reply directly underneath... We know you're replying to it, we don't need to see the same big post repeated 2 times in a row.... If your post is on the same page, people usually see the content you're referring to and the context. If there's a big post with 6 images for example, and you quote it in the very next reply... think about how stupid that looks to the reader.

2. Please try to avoid putting signature text in the main body of your post like "CTB Approved". Put it in the signature of your account profile. That way, it can be formatted separately (smaller, with divider) to the main post text in keeping with the forum design - easier to read for us all.

3. This is a place to discuss camera gear, filmmaking and films! If the main purpose of your account is to promote a service, product or another blog or YouTube channel, then it will be deleted. I want to see real people, with great posts like Mattias Burling, actual organic users with things to say and not a heavy bias or promotional bias towards one thing, or one brand.

4. This forum prefers people who post under their real name, rather than the name of their channel, online presence or a nickname.

5. If your topic is a question please search first before posting it, so regular visitors don't have to read the same questions every day that have already been answered before.

6. If a rumors site posts news, link to the ORIGINAL SOURCE of the news, NOT the rumors site. Save us all the bother, go direct to the source and bypass all those ads.

7. If you are selling products and services that rival EOSHD's, I will allow it only at my discretion. Charging $100 for a picture profile I don't like, that is of low quality and in direct competition with my own, is a certain ban.

8. Please be civil to myself and the mods - because we're here every day and getting heckled everyday isn't what I run this site for! It's the quickest way to get banned.

9. I am all for blunt, non-politically correct chat, banter and forthright opinions, just be respectful of each-other :)

10. Post good stuff that starts a discussion... leave the boring stuff to the other sites :)

These are guidelines not the law... I will as always be casually keeping an eye out for people who flout multiple guidelines regularly as I want to maintain the quality of the community for the regulars.

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

41 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

Do you think you could add to that:

11. When asking a question like "what's the best gimbal?" or "which lens should I buy?" add what kind of camera you're using (or system) and especially for what purpose.

So hard to be helpful when there's no way to tell what the gear will be used for.

Yes, same as if it's a tech problem, always helps to be really specific, rather than a general complaint "it won't work"

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

4. This forum prefers people who post under their real name, rather than the name of their channel, online presence or a nickname.

If you've already created an account with a silly name, like I did, you can add your real name if you go to Profile > Edit Profile > Member Title

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM, EthanAlexander said:

Do you think you could add to that:

11. When asking a question like "what's the best gimbal?" or "which lens should I buy?" add what kind of camera you're using (or system) and especially for what purpose.

So hard to be helpful when there's no way to tell what the gear will be used for.

Or just a more general rule: INCLUDE MAXIMUM CONTEXT!

As there are many many threads which would benefit from more information: specific budget, overall budget, what country, what do you do already, medium/long term goals, etc

12. Adding a completely irrelevant comment that adds zero calories. eg. Question about a specific camera issue being answered by "I have never used that camera and don't know anything about your problem but you could try buying a different camera". The trick is to find a post that you *can* help with and post *there*. 

• 1 month later...