Can we finally agree that 5D mk3 is the ultimate after so many years ? ..

CanonTheBarbarian

brb robust and strong body with great ergonomic made for pros, not like sony toys

brb 14 bits 4:4:4 RAW video with motion cadence of gods - AESTHETICS OVERLOAD

brb easy RAW workflow, SSD > MLFS> resolve> ??? > profit (how is that any problem lol)

brb COLORS! I mean lets face it, NOTHING comes close (apart of almighty Leica) 

brb 3,5k RAW video and probably more to come - tour over  

Sony and panny cameras come and go, yet big Mark remains a modern classic, in 20years I will be still producing jooouicy stuff with my Mark while all the sonys a7 mk8 will just paper specs monsters but obsolete.

discuss!

Pic of my battered mk3 with most zeissy glass -contax zeiss (the best there is)

CTB APPROVED

IMG_4045.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, tweak said:

I got a GH5 recently for specs needed for work (high res, high frame rate, anamorphic de-squeeze) and I still prefer 7D raw image and workflow. 5Dmk3 is even another step beyond that, image is amazing imo.

I feel your pain, gh5 would be alrite if not the sensor size that is basically is the same as in iphone camera

CTB APPROVED

Even with magic lanern:

No XLR, no EVF, poor live-view when recording raw (it's practically unusable in 3.5K), huge data rates, limited dynamic range...

Not to mention using raw on a paid shoot would be a risk most wouldn't (shouldn't) take. I've done it.. but I'm not into those risks anymore.

It's a great camera - Amazing image, built like a tank, pleasing skin tones. I may never sell mine.

But, ultimate? No way.

Also, please top approving your own posts. Every forum post in the history of the internet has been approved by the author of said post, or they wouldn't hit submit.

5 hours ago, CanonTheBarbarian said:

I feel your pain, gh5 would be alrite if not the sensor size that is basically is the same as in iphone camera

CTB APPROVED

GH5 with XL speedbooster is really nice imo (basically APS-H crop) makes a huge difference. EVF on GH5 is also amazing and one of the reasons I use it a lot. 

1 hour ago, EthanAlexander said:

Even with magic lanern:

No XLR, no EVF, poor live-view when recording raw (it's practically unusable in 3.5K), huge data rates, limited dynamic range...

Not to mention using raw on a paid shoot would be a risk most wouldn't (shouldn't) take. I've done it.. but I'm not into those risks anymore.

It's a great camera - Amazing image, built like a tank, pleasing skin tones. I may never sell mine.

But, ultimate? No way.

Also, please top approving your own posts. Every forum post in the history of the internet has been approved by the author of said post, or they wouldn't hit submit.

XLR - true dat, but with shotgun on for scrap audio and external recorder (which you should ALWAYS have for pro shoots) it's alrite (its so easy to sync nowdays)

1080p raw 24p live view is perfect (even with zebras and peaking) I used mk3 raw for many many paid jobs without stress, it always worked flawless 

CTB APPROVED

Nice camera Satoshi but to answer your question.

No, not for me.

Some of the main reasons,

A) it isn't the best for low light/high ISO

B) It has a mirror

C) It doesn't take five of my nine most used lenses at all and it isn't as good for me with my favourite CANON  lens as my Sony is.

D) It doesn't have a tilting LCD

E) it doesn't have an EVF

It is early and I am bored (why I responded to such an obvious troll post clearly designed to be obvious).

8 minutes ago, noone said:

Nice camera Satoshi but to answer your question.

No, not for me.

Some of the main reasons,

A) it isn't the best for low light/high ISO

B) It has a mirror

C) It doesn't take five of my nine most used lenses at all and it isn't as good for me with my favourite CANON  lens as my Sony is.

D) It doesn't have a tilting LCD

E) it doesn't have an EVF

you use 9 lenses ? oh boi, all you need is contax zeiss 28mm f2.... the less you use the more creative you become

iso - u wat? 12800 still remains very profesional  with beautiful film grain like grain

CTB APPROVED

I decided a while ago that for short narrative films, there isn’t a better option, unless you want to go the BlackMagic Pocket/Micro route, but even then the FF sensor of the 5D3 and the native lenses with OIS wins, IMO. 

With that being said, I’d hate to discourage younger, newer filmmakers from going out and making a movie if they want to but cannot afford a 5D3. For me the best option is the 5D3. If you have a smaller budget, then there are a lot of options.

The idea that you need Raw or 4K to shoot a good narrative short film is pushed by people that lack creativity. The best advice is to buy the best camera you can afford, learn how to use it and make the best film you can with the resources you have.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

I decided a while ago that for short narrative films, there isn’t a better option, unless you want to go the BlackMagic Pocket/Micro route, but even then the FF sensor of the 5D3 and the native lenses with OIS wins, IMO. 

With that being said, I’d hate to discourage younger, newer filmmakers from going out and making a movie if they want to but cannot afford a 5D3. For me the best option is the 5D3. If you have a smaller budget, then there are a lot of options.

The idea that you need Raw or 4K to shoot a good narrative short film is pushed by people that lack creativity. The best advice is to buy the best camera you can afford, learn how to use it and make the best film you can with the resources you have.

Agreed!

5D mk2 and mk3 are the best value really, mk2 can be had for thousand bucks brb full frame raw, mk2 has also nice signature look to it

CTB APPROVED

3 minutes ago, tweak said:

Yep, could still shoot a good film with a 100dollar purchase.

I’ve been watching a friend of a friend’s short films this morning that were shot on a 70D with original Canon FW and they are great, never once did the IQ, or lack of, get in the way of the story or quality of filmmaking skill.