gh5 timelapse

gethin

Was rather bamboozled by how to get to the timelapse functionality. I had to google it, sheesh.   So does the screen stay on for a whole timelapse?  WHen I left it the viewfinder screen was active and I couldn't seem to turn it off. The camera only lasted 2 hours.  Also did not notice any exposure smoothing function. Kinda assumed this kitchen-sink camera would have something of the sort built in. 

Am I missing some things?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, gethin said:

Was rather bamboozled by how to get to the timelapse functionality. I had to google it, sheesh.   So does the screen stay on for a whole timelapse?  WHen I left it the viewfinder screen was active and I couldn't seem to turn it off. The camera only lasted 2 hours.  Also did not notice any exposure smoothing function. Kinda assumed this kitchen-sink camera would have something of the sort built in. 

Am I missing some things?

Big knob... on the left side. Turn to time lapse. 

Power saving: electronic shutter might be handy to reduce wear

Screen: This is a bit crazy, but what people normally do is set the monitor/EVF to auto. Then mostly close the monitor screen which turns it off. The EVF will only turn on if you cover the sensor so will also stay off. 2 hours and 20 minutes is the normal 4K recording time of the GH5. Using just jpeg might reduce battery load a bit too. Otherwise one of those plug-in adaptors to Li-ion external would be the way to go. I think @Fritz Pierre has a setup that uses it. 

Exposure smoothing: That sounds like a Lightroom feature or plugin.

Momentary flicker is usually removed with something like “Flicker Free” from Digital Anarchy. They have sales every so often so you can look out for those. Very cool plugin. 

You can try using Manual with Auto ISO. I then add a reducing brightness to an evening shot otherwise you end up not realising the sun has gone down. Don’t forget to turn AutoWB off.

thanks @Orangenz   was hoping it would have the sense to go to a low power mode save for the timer. Probably doesn't have one would be my guess. Hey ho.  I've got so many dummy batteries knocking about (including a few I made). 

The exposure smoothing is something you can do with sony cameras, I just assumed panasonic would have similar: it allows you to track changing ambient light but ignores minor variations.  Its a bit crap for day to night transitions (at east on my rx100iv), but it could be perfected.

The GH5 is a fantastic camera, including for timelapse. While @Orangenz already answered most of your question I would add:

- Smoothing Expo is not really a thing. AV mode and auto metering on Sony camera works very good though. However past a certain level of darkness the metering module is not working and you'll have to make the change manually. Personally I always lock everything in manual and change the expo manually (first shutter speed and then ISO). You can use Flicker Free which is great to correct minor flickering but for serious work there is only LRTimelapse (there is a free demo version that work with up to 400 frames, which is more than enough for most time-lapses). Otherwise you can try to set the camera in AV mode with auto ISO (and set a limit).

- Two hours of battery life in time-lapse mode is not that bad actually. Turn off the screen (in the menu or close it physically) to increase the battery life. You can also reduce the brightness to the minimum.

- Use a strong ND filter for daylight stuff, it makes such a big difference in quality. Pick an ND7 or ND10.

I did all this video and timelapse with the GH5. Superb camera except for very high ISO stuff like astro. I usually don't like to go over ISO 1600 with it but you can compensate with long exposure.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an example which mixes a static Canon 700D, a static Panasonic GX85 and a Panasonic GH5 doing the dynamic hyper lapse stuff.

It was shot over 2 days (09.00-21.00) and the edit was done over night on the second day so it could be presented to the press at 10.00am the next day! Hence it has had no post production to remove flicker and any changes in lighting etc, there simply wasn't enough time as the site was over an hour or so from my home. The client was extremly happy with the result with it what matters!

Key point about the GH5, all the hyper lapse was done by hand with no monopod or tripod! It's amazing what this camera offers in terms of flexibility!

OliKMIA's videos are simply top notch!

11 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Thanks. Actually you got very good results for handheld hyperlaplse. By the way, try Flicker free for your sequence, it would really help to remove some of the flicker and it's very easy to use (just apply the effect in AE and the auto settings work most of the time).

Thanks. I would have liked to have had more time to correct flicker but it was not to be!

Can Flicker free be applied to the video file or should I have applied it to the photo sequence before exporting?

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone. I’ve just got a gvm slider and every time it triggers a shot it will only trigger the video mode, so I end up with 400 half-second miv clips instead of stills. 

Does anybody know where in the dark recesses if the camera menu I can override that and make it trigger the shutter properly?