Vignetting tests on Metabones Speed Booster XL version coupled to Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens + GH5

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Very interesting results...

I didn't have vignetting issues on the regular 0.71 speedbooster with this lens. I did have IBIS issues though using the nikon mount, unless I set it manually to different parts of the zoom. This seems to confirm that IBIS communicates properly with the camera through the canon adapter. Tempting.

56 minutes ago, thehebrewhammer said:

Very interesting results...

I didn't have vignetting issues on the regular 0.71 speedbooster with this lens. I did have IBIS issues though using the nikon mount, unless I set it manually to different parts of the zoom. This seems to confirm that IBIS communicates properly with the camera through the canon adapter. Tempting.

Because Nikon one is dumb adapter ie no electronic contacts unlike Canon version

I use the Speedbooster XL on the Tokina 11-16 APS-C...hand held with IBIS on, I get zero Vignetting and it gets me down to 7.4mm at f1.8, so very fast and very wide!...I did consider the PL 8-18 for a bit, but I find 12 mm already wide on the GH5 (I own the PL 12-60), so for the rare occasion I need wider, I already owned the Tokina and it's 1 1/3 stops faster....I remember previous discussions, re the XL or Ultra SB, on APS-C lenses, though at the time, I felt it was easy enough to do a small crop in post and the wider FOV and extra 1/3 stop was significant with the XL...also no issues with the Sigma 18-35...these lenses are Nikon mount and on a tripod the results are the same...I had initially thought it might be an issue with handheld, but there's none.

I also have the speedbooster xl and tokina 11-16, and gh5. The corners vignette in 16:9 in 11mm, by 12mm it's away. If you'd crop to 2.35:1, it doesn't vignette at 11mm.

Yes, I'm thinking of doing 2.35:1 with cropping. From 4K the quality should be satisfactory.

24 minutes ago, Ari said:

I also have the speedbooster xl and tokina 11-16, and gh5. The corners vignette in 16:9 in 11mm, by 12mm it's away. If you'd crop to 2.35:1, it doesn't vignette at 11mm.

Yes, I'm thinking of doing 2.35:1 with cropping. From 4K the quality should be satisfactory.

And on the anamorphic, 6K Photo and all 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, 1:1 stills modes? Have you tested the vignetting along such lens on all or any of them?

On 10/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, Ari said:

That's curious...I just did a quick test in my living room when contemplating the PL8-18 and did not see it...unfortunately deleted the clip, but if it's there, it has to be very slight.

On 10/14/2017 at 5:06 PM, Fritz Pierre said:

That's curious...I just did a quick test in my living room when contemplating the PL8-18 and did not see it...unfortunately deleted the clip, but if it's there, it has to be very slight.

I went out and shot some impressingly boring test footage with the tokina 11-18 that also included sky. I used different settings, these affect the vignetting of it. I'll publish it later today, now I gotta run..

Ok, here you go, 11-16mm tokina lens at 11mm, and several options:

6K anamorphic 24p 4992x3744
- stabilizer off
- stabilizer ‘hand’

C4K all-i 24p 4096x2160
- stabilizer off
- stabilizer ‘hand’
- stabilizer ‘hand’ + e-stabilization (video)

4K all-i 24p 3840x2160
- stabilizer off
- stabilizer ‘hand’

https://youtu.be/Al-FkHgO6Ik

How do I make it show the player? Ah..

1 hour ago, Ari said:

Ok, here you go, 11-16mm tokina lens at 11mm, and several options:

6K anamorphic 24p 4992x3744
- stabilizer off
- stabilizer ‘hand’

C4K all-i 24p 4096x2160
- stabilizer off
- stabilizer ‘hand’

4K all-i 24p 3840x2160
- stabilizer off
- stabilizer ‘hand’

https://youtu.be/Al-FkHgO6Ik

How do I make it show the player? Ah..

And others like 12mm 14mm 16mm? They say 16mm covers full frame. For anamorphic too?

On 12/10/2017 at 2:05 PM, Fritz Pierre said:

I use the Speedbooster XL on the Tokina 11-16 APS-C...hand held with IBIS on, I get zero Vignetting and it gets me down to 7.4mm at f1.8, so very fast and very wide!...I did consider the PL 8-18 for a bit, but I find 12 mm already wide on the GH5 (I own the PL 12-60), so for the rare occasion I need wider, I already owned the Tokina and it's 1 1/3 stops faster....I remember previous discussions, re the XL or Ultra SB, on APS-C lenses, though at the time, I felt it was easy enough to do a small crop in post and the wider FOV and extra 1/3 stop was significant with the XL...also no issues with the Sigma 18-35...these lenses are Nikon mount and on a tripod the results are the same...I had initially thought it might be an issue with handheld, but there's none.

Okay but 4k I assume. Did you test with the GH5 but anamorphic? Isn't it full sensor area when it is anamorphic? I wonder if happens the same results.... Can you check that? I don't know if I am safe with XL for a Tokina 11-16 (not the widest 11 mm). The same for Sigma 18-35 mm.

23 hours ago, Ari said:

I tried the 6K anamorphic a bit more at different focal lengths. 14mm marker looked pretty safe from vignetting, but 13mm had a bit of dark corners.

I'm not sure what my use case for this would be..

Thank you! 6k anamorphic with full sensor area is my main worry. Can you post an example?

On 17/10/2017 at 12:42 AM, shooter said:

Thank you! 6k anamorphic with full sensor area is my main worry. Can you post an example?

On 15/10/2017 at 9:52 PM, shooter said:

Okay but 4k I assume. Did you test with the GH5 but anamorphic? Isn't it full sensor area when it is anamorphic? I wonder if happens the same results.... Can you check that? I don't know if I am safe with XL for a Tokina 11-16 (not the widest 11 mm). The same for Sigma 18-35 mm.

Indeed @Ari and @Fritz Pierre that (your tests) would be nice to check it out! (E :-)

@EmanuelI did not keep my test...also I only tested in 16x9, but lastly and perhaps most importantly, I really do not move a camera much...so I used IBIS instead of a tripod...I would only ever pan if I was following an actor...and strictly narrative, so for my purposes the XL is a no brainer....an extra 1/3 stop...huge if you're looking at the difference above 3200iso and the widest FOV...I can always crop a little in post if need be, and still have the extra speed from the XL over the Ultra...I posted this in another thread on the 2 speedboosters.

15 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@EmanuelI did not keep my test...also I only tested in 16x9, but lastly and perhaps most importantly, I really do not move a camera much...so I used IBIS instead of a tripod...I would only ever pan if I was following an actor...and strictly narrative, so for my purposes the XL is a no brainer....an extra 1/3 stop...huge if you're looking at the difference above 3200iso and the widest FOV...I can always crop a little in post if need be, and still have the extra speed from the XL over the Ultra...I posted this in another thread on the 2 speedboosters.

Where's exactly the link for, buddy?

It was on EOSHD....the general sense was if using with APS-C lenses, and you want to play it safe, use the Ultra....most of my lenses are full frame, but I do have the Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 18-35....APS-C....regardless my choice would not have changed....so somewhere several pages back the thread exists

39 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

It was on EOSHD....the general sense was if using with APS-C lenses, and you want to play it safe, use the Ultra....most of my lenses are full frame, but I do have the Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 18-35....APS-C....regardless my choice would not have changed....so somewhere several pages back the thread exists

This one, right?