Leaked: DJI's new super-35 sized X7 drone camera for Inspire 2 and possibly Osmo

Parker

I didn't see anybody on the forum talking about this amazing-looking new camera from DJI. 4.6k at 60p, records to C-Fast cards. Poorly translated page suggests 16 stops of dynamic range. More specs and info here: http://dronereviewsandnews.com/dji-october-11th-reflections-guess-1-zenmuse-x7/

Supposedly this thing is supposed to be announced on October 11, but somebody got a hold of the details early. 4k sample footage here: 

What do you guys think? With an Inspire 2, as well as paired with an Osmo, this could be a pretty formidable combo. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Judging that video thumbnail I'd almost be tempted to say a re-worked Sony E-mount lens, like a 24mm f/1.8 perhaps? DJI also released their own adapted version of the MFT Leica Summilux 15mm f/1.7. Just... MFT is a collaborative effort and open system alliance. Surely others are using EF-mount already, but I think it would be a first for E-mount to make it to third party hardware/camera systems? So... interesting. Sony/E-mount is the move 3DR made as well: https://3dr.com/solo-drone/specs/ .

6DLYQiX.png

52 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Bets on it being MFT mount.

Sony won't let others use E mount

Can an MFT mount accommodate a Super35 (~APS-C) sensor/lens?  I don't think is possible without a speed booster but then is not a Super35 sensor. From the leaked (assuming real) spec it is a Super35 mm sensor. Tomorrow we will know

Amazing. 

If only you could mount that to a Phantom sized drone... would be the perfect video package for me since I do gimbal and aerial work mainly. This and a D850 on the side for stills as well as non gimbal tripod video work = as good as it gets.

hope it comes with good AF.

16 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Amazing. 

If only you could mount that to a Phantom sized drone... would be the perfect video package for me since I do gimbal and aerial work mainly. This and a D850 on the side for stills as well as non gimbal tripod video work = as good as it gets.

hope it comes with good AF.

AF is a big question mark and I expect the price to be quite high. I doubt that they can fit it on P4 class size although I agree with you it would be super cool.

It is very good if they use CFast card but then it makes the inspire processing unit completely redundant... really curious to see what they came up with....

8 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Can an MFT mount accommodate a Super35 (~APS-C) sensor/lens?  I don't think is possible without a speed booster but then is not a Super35 sensor. From the leaked (assuming real) spec it is a Super35 mm sensor. Tomorrow we will know

Well, JVC GY-LS300... BMCC 2.5K. And DJI is member of the MFT alliance already. Just I sorta had an E-Mount/lens vibe there, which doesn't give you any 2nd guessing if certain lenses have signs of vignetting or not.

6 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Of course it can! For instance the JVC LS300 camera.

6 hours ago, Herbert Massey said:

I read somewhere that the Osmo with the RAW recorder was loud. Hopefully they sort that out. Looks like it could be a winner.

Loudness doesn't really matter when mounted on a drone!

6 hours ago, gt3rs said:

AF is a big question mark and I expect the price to be quite high. I doubt that they can fit it on P4 class size although I agree with you it would be super cool.

No chance in hell this fits with a Phantom sized drone.

5 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

If they don't take advantage of E mount lens sales then they have no business being in business ;)

...Just like whoever decided on EF for the EVA lol

EF vs MFT is a choice they make.

E vs MFT is *not* a choice they make. As they have no choice at all in using E mount. It isn't an option at all.

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

EF vs MFT is a choice they make.

E vs MFT is *not* a choice they make. As they have no choice at all in using E mount. It isn't an option at all.

I think you're misunderstanding me... I'm saying sony should be happy to put an E mount on a sony-sensor'd DJI product so they'd get the lens sales.

And the guys at panasonic I think really dropped the ball chosing EF mount, but for different reasons (since panasonic doesn't make any lenses that cover S35).

Its not been released quite yet, but it must be soon because google gave me:

http://nofilmschool.com/2017/10/detailed-look-35mm-zenmuse-x7-dji

what is this DL-Mount of which they speak?

text highlights, in case they take it down:

The Zenmuse X7 takes that further by providing a Super 35mm (23.5×15.7 mm) sensor, and increasing the single-pixel size to 3.91 micrometers. It captures RAW videos at up to 6K/30 fps or 3.9K/59.94 fps and photos with a resolution up to 24 MP. The larger sensor in the X7 not only delivers excellent photo and video quality but also provides up to 14 stops dynamic range.  Image processing for Cinema DNG / Apple ProRes takes place in the CineCore 2.1 Image Processing System just like the Zenmuse X5S, so for current Inspire 2 owners, the X7 is a nice camera upgrade. 

In order to make the Zenmuse X7 more compact and stable for aerial shooting, DJI integrated a DL lens mount which shortens the X7's focal distance to only 16.84mm The DL-Mount significantly cuts the size and weight of a camera while retaining cinema-grade image quality. 

Currently, the Zenmuse X7 is compatible with four DL mount prime lenses with a maximum aperture of f/2.8. The 16mm lens comes equipped with a built-in ND filter and the 24, 35, and 50mm lenses are equipped with leaf shutters (available in single shot mode) that support shutter speeds up to 1/1000s and are designed to reduce or eliminate rolling shutter effects and banding when shooting in artificial lighting.

Workflow

For current Inspire 2 owners, the workflow will be familiar. Videos that are recorded in h.264/h.265 along with JPEG and DNG still images will be recorded on a Micro SD card inserted directly into the camera. For those with the appropriate activation key, Cinema DNG / Apple ProRes RAW video will be recorded and saved on the DJI CineSSD. Video recording capacity is dependent on the size of the CineSSD being used. 

Pricing & Availability

The Zenmuse X7 is priced at PRICE and DJI has announced a ship date of SHIP DATE.

Tech Specs

3 Axis Stabilized Gimbal & Camera

35mm Image Sensor

DL Lens Mount

Resolution:

Up to 6k 30fps video

24MP Raw DNG still images

Recording Formats:

Cinema DNG

Apple ProRes

h.264

h.265