DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1 Update: supports HEVC decoding

IronFilm

DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1 Update

Today we released DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1. This software update adds support for software based HEVC decoding and hardware accelerated HEVC decoding on the latest Mac OS. In addition, DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1 now displays RGB color picker values when setting the black and white point, supports RGB picker for OpenFX and ResolveFX plugins and also adds embedded matte indicators on Media Pool thumbnails.

We’ve also continued to add and refine Fairlight audio features in this update. DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1 now supports 7.1 audio track types, improved loudness meters, dynamics processing on audio buses in the Fairlight mixer, selection of one or more tracks using command/ctrl clicking, single and multi frame nudging on the Fairlight page, better audio keyframe navigation, and much more.

DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1 also includes dozens of general performance and stability enhancements. This update is recommended for all DaVinci Resolve 14 and DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio users.

DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1 is available now as a free download from www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

Samsung NX1 owners will be stoked! :P

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

Before the only way nx1 files worked was in studio version. You had to pay for dongle... 

Maybe you can use them in free version now? 

Well I tried, but I have Amd RX 480 GPU and I doesn't seem to work with HEVC files (NX1) in Resolve. As an Windows 10 home user I am hoping that someone with modern Nvidia GPU can confirm that NX1/NX500 files works in free Resolve 14.01 in W10 system. Also how smooth the playback is with UHD files would be very intresting to know.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:45 AM, BopBill said:

Thanks! Must try it today.

Edit: Did try, but no luck for me. I have Windows 10 home and AMD GPU. I got a sound but no picture with HEVC.

I have the same issue on Windows 10 with i7/GTX960 setup.
Only audio is being imported. Davinci metadata sees the files as audio only...doesn't display any resolution or fps info.

Strangely enough NX1 HEVC files import fine on my old  13 macbook pro.
(and struggle to playback at around 8fps)

52 minutes ago, Antonis said:

I have the same issue on Windows 10 with i7/GTX960 setup.
Only audio is being imported. Davinci metadata sees the files as audio only...doesn't display any resolution or fps info.

Strangely enough NX1 HEVC files import fine on my old  13 macbook pro.
(and struggle to playback at around 8fps)

Good to know. Your GPU should be ok. So the problem is maybe Windows related. Do you have W10 pro or Home version?

1 hour ago, sondreg said:

Mac OS being the key words here...

What is confusing is that this line below is also in the free versions description:

"Added support for hardware accelerated HEVC decode on supported NVIDIA GPUs on DaVinci Resolve Studio on Windows and Linux"

But yes there is the Studio word.

So it must be that there is no support for HEVC in the free Windows Resolve version.

7 minutes ago, BopBill said:

What is confusing is that this line below is also in the free versions description:

"Added support for hardware accelerated HEVC decode on supported NVIDIA GPUs on DaVinci Resolve Studio on Windows and Linux"

But yes there is the Studio word.

So it must be that there is no support for HEVC in the free Windows Resolve version.

Oh! Didn't actually read through the entire update log! My bad! However I'm currently in the process of buying the Studio version so I can check that it's indeed the case. Might just be another bug from them as there seem to be a lot of them...

Weird to offer full HEVC support in the MacOS version but leave it out of the free Windows version.

Maybe it's the way Apple have implemented HEVC decoding into High Sierra...or maybe Apple are more demanding of software developers to implement the latest available resources.
Which they probably will be doing now that the latest iPhones use HEVC for 4k60fps.

3 hours ago, sondreg said:

Can confirm, HEVC runs silky smooth on the Studio version, probably because of the 'Use Display GPU for Compute' function it unlocks in Hardware configuration (or maybe not im not sure).

Could you tell what GPU you have, that runs NX1 files smoothly? Also do you have W10 Home or Pro version?

I am thinking to buy Resolve Studio version, but I should also buy Nvidia GPU and maybe (hope not) W10 Pro update.

1 hour ago, BopBill said:

Could you tell what GPU you have, that runs NX1 files smoothly? Also do you have W10 Home or Pro version?

I am thinking to buy Resolve Studio version, but I should also buy Nvidia GPU and maybe (hope not) W10 Pro update.

I'm using W10 Home, with an AMD Radeon R9 Fury X. I didn't mock about too much with the H265 files with coloring and stuff but the playback was just fine in 4K.

16 hours ago, BopBill said:

Intel and Blackmagic have been working together to improve Iris Graphics performance (Intel i5/i7 proccessor).

Good chance that you will be just fine using your onboard graphics and without the need to upgrade to an Nvidia card.

In the free version on my pc I don't really see any performance difference when switching from OpenCL to Cuda in Resolve.