Nikon D850 vs everything

Andrew Reid

@Andrew Reid I would be super interested how this beast is working with old glass? I have heard a lot that high res cameras need "new" glass to make use of the resolving power but it would be great to have a kind of A-B comparison of that. Body wise  the d850 is ticking all the boxes for me but I think it is a bit of resolution overload. No idea what lenses you have that fit the F mount but if you fancy it I can let you have a play with my old 28. 2.8 AIS, 50 1.2 AI and 85 1.4 Af-d...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think a lot more has been made of replacing glass because of the higher resolution sensor than needs to be.  The D500 has the same pixel density as the D850, but I don't hear the same arguments.  In general, a higher resolution sensor will make any glass look sharper.  You can see that by looking at DXOmark tests.  Higher quality glass will just look even better.

12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Image quality and sharpness is subjective. You can't measure and say camera x did better than y. Its just your personal feelings.

Yes, sharpness absolutely can be quantified.  Image quality is a vague term that doesn't really mean anything from person to person.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:52 AM, Don Kotlos said:

Anything can be quantified, all it comes down to is a common definition. 

Sharpness = Acutance + Resolution 

59f36ff208f2a_ScreenShot2017-10-27at12_41_50PM.png.8fa484e2590520c7dfb9ed4d88234a27.png

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sharpness.htm

Nice article.

On 10/27/2017 at 11:15 AM, Mattias Burling said:

You didn't read my post, I said "nice sharpness" :)

So no, iq is not measurable. Not even sharpness.

OK, I see what you are talking about now.:blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious if anyone has been cross-cutting Nikon footage shot in flat profile and Panasonic Cine-D footage. I've been using the D500, D810, and G85, and will soon add a D850 to the mix, and while the Nikons are relatively easy to match (they're not identical despite using the same manual WB and profile settings), I've had a really hard time getting the G85 footage to match. The G85 is nice because it's small and can be flown easily on a gimbal, but still has great image quality.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Matthew Capowski said:

What is the approximate maximum dynamic range of the D850 video? What existing camera is it comparable to dynamic range wise? 

Well since it is probably using the same sensor as the Sony A7r mk III, whatever that is is probably a little less on the Nikon D850. Probably around 12.0 stops video wise which is damn good. They are probably claiming more but it really isn't. Nikon's FLog is more like Sony Cine 4 than like SLog 2 or SLog 3. And even SLog 3 on a A7r mk III isn't really doing in reality more than 13 stops I think. You have to be doing 12 bit Raw to get any higher than that. Sony might claim 15 stops but that is bullshit. A Red in 14 bit Raw is lucky to pull that much. That is Arri territory.

His results for photo always seem low but at least they are consistent, and truth be told maybe really right!

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Leica M10,Nikon D850

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. 

The sensor isn't made by Sony. I've seen a few D850 owners suggest that the dynamic range is lower than expected and around the level of the GH4. I've seen no objective measurements or definitive statements. I was hoping someone who has spent some time with this camera could comment.