Nikon D850 vs everything

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Sounds like the AF/EVF/OIS make the Sony cameras much more flexible for video, and if the A7III gets the full frame 4K image right as well, at a reasonable price, then it will be hard to justify getting the 850 unless you need the top class stills performance.

Don't see the point in the a7 series when if you just wait a few months more you can get the video focused a7S update instead!

7 hours ago, salim said:

There is a comparison near the end of this video: 

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh..... that audio is awful! Noise floor is way too high.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Someone needs to explain that test from Tony I guess.

The D850 has 3 auto white balance modes -

1. Keep absolute white

2. Normal

3. Keep warm ambient cast

The A7R II in the test is shifted to the usual Sony zombie yellow with poor skin tones and warm whites are neither true white or orange - they are yellow! This is exactly what EOSHD Pro Color sets out to fix - and does. Don't use the default Standard Sony colour!!

The GH5 in the test is under exposed or some other issue. It is doing a good job of getting the ambient temperature of the light in that room though, whereas the Nikon appears to be set to the first auto WB mode.

This stuff should be mentioned at the very start of the test and the different options cycled through in the test as well...

Otherwise people think it's a performance issue.

It's not. It's a setup issue.

"Good in low light. Check!

Articulated screen with peaking? Check! And you don’t need me to remind you the 5D Mark IV lacks both!"

According what I have read and observed from web sources the D850 does not have peaking in 4K video mode.  peaking only in 1080p and photography

9 hours ago, kaylee said:

ive been looking for some d850 footage of humans in daylight... is there such a thing?

lol ill keep looking

EDIT: whoops this applies

The colors of that are just so good. Crazy good. Doesn't really get better than that good.

Yah. If they could improve RS and maybe add IBIS, I would snap this up faster than whatever. 

5 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

The colors of that are just so good. Crazy good. Doesn't really get better than that good.

Yah. If they could improve RS and maybe add IBIS, I would snap this up faster than whatever. 

Seems like that already exists in the A7rII and A7sII.

Ungraded screen cap SOOC, similar to the d850 vid posted.

Kruger National Park, South Africa. Full video coming soon...

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.35.38 PM.png

On 10/6/2017 at 12:22 AM, jcs said:

The D850 has better color/skintones vs. Sony or Panasonic, however AF isn't really usable and rolling shutter is very high. Do you still have a 1DX II? Curious why you didn't compare the 1DX II, which currently has the best balance of usable features for high-end stills and 4K DSLR video. 4K MJPEG is indeed heavy for storage, though the latest version of Resolve can play the footage smoothly on somewhat old hardware (e.g. 2010 MacPro and GTX 980-level GPU). A modern PC can play the 4K MJPEG (including 60p) in real-time in Premiere Pro CC. When aliasing isn't an issue and doing mostly medium and closeups, 1080p full frame looks excellent / filmic at 24, 60, and even 120fps (DPAF works in all modes), along with fairly small H.264 files.

1DXII is $3000 more expensive. You should compare that with D5, which its replacement will come in the first half of 2018, if not sooner. 

On 05/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Nope. Only the Sony cameras allow this. Not even the Panasonic GH5 lets you do it.

Are you serious?! I've been somewhat contemplating a GH5 recently and thought this was fixed... That's a major letdown, pretty much scrubbing it from my list based on that. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The D5 replacement is not coming in 2018, maybe not even 2019.

Exactly, its barely a year and a half old, it'l be at least two more years before its successor is even announced. The big sports bodies are on a 4-year cycle. The d750 and 610 replacements will likely be next in 2018 - along with the FF mirrorless cam.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:23 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Someone needs to explain that test from Tony I guess.

The D850 has 3 auto white balance modes -

1. Keep absolute white

2. Normal

3. Keep warm ambient cast

The A7R II in the test is shifted to the usual Sony zombie yellow with poor skin tones and warm whites are neither true white or orange - they are yellow! This is exactly what EOSHD Pro Color sets out to fix - and does. Don't use the default Standard Sony colour!!

The GH5 in the test is under exposed or some other issue. It is doing a good job of getting the ambient temperature of the light in that room though, whereas the Nikon appears to be set to the first auto WB mode.

This stuff should be mentioned at the very start of the test and the different options cycled through in the test as well...

Otherwise people think it's a performance issue.

It's not. It's a setup issue.

Thank you for explaining this.  I've seen all three cameras come up with nice footage.  Obviously it will be easier to achieve with some cameras vs others.  I think a review like Tony's does a real disservice.  I agree with your comment about the GH5 exposure.  There is obviously so much more detail present in the overhead lights.  The D850 has less detail and the lights are totally blown in the A7R II footage.  But the A7R II has more details in the shadows.

It would be interesting to see the colors on each camera with something like a simple gray card used for custom white balance.

I just think it is ludicrous to get wildly different results out of cameras of that caliber and not even attempt to try some very easy common sense adjustments.  It just turns it into an utterly meaningless exercise.