Nikon D850 vs everything

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Nice review. I had a feeling (knew) this would be a lovely camera.

Also,

"I love – absolutely love – that you can press the joystick and turn the front dial to instantly toggle between FX and DX mode for video shooting."

Hallelujah! I remember screaming at my Sony menu, "Why, whyyyyy!!?" :)

• Administrators
6 hours ago, EduPortas said:

Can you use punch-in focus during recording?

Now that I mention it, is there any DSLR that allows you to do this?

Nope. Only the Sony cameras allow this. Not even the Panasonic GH5 lets you do it.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Nice review. I had a feeling (knew) this would be a lovely camera.

Also,

"I love – absolutely love – that you can press the joystick and turn the front dial to instantly toggle between FX and DX mode for video shooting."

Hallelujah! I remember screaming at my Sony menu, "Why, whyyyyy!!?" :)

I think you will love it

As a stills camera foremost it's amazing. The new additions like silent shutter & articulated screen are great for stealthy street photos.

For video it's all I really need... amazing full frame 4K in a compact body, even smaller than 1D C... With Nikon colours.

ISO 64 is like a digital ND filter. Can shoot in daylight at 1/50 at F4 and still get as much shallow DOF as a Micro Four Thirds lens at F2

Overcast day mind you... In the sun you still need NDs or high shutter speeds.

But it's a nice bonus!

Hey Andrew,

sorry if you know this already. Not sure if there are any "i" buttons on the d850? On my d750 there is one on the right side of the cam which lets you toggle screen overlays in live view. This lets you remove (pretty much) any overlay but the red rectangle. The other "i" button on the left lets you open a sub menu to change different things, including framerate, while in live view....

Does this work on the d850?

Best.

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think you will love it

As a stills camera foremost it's amazing. The new additions like silent shutter & articulated screen are great for stealthy street photos.

For video it's all I really need... amazing full frame 4K in a compact body, even smaller than 1D C... With Nikon colours.

ISO 64 is like a digital ND filter. Can shoot in daylight at 1/50 at F4 and still get as much shallow DOF as a Micro Four Thirds lens at F2

Overcast day mind you... In the sun you still need NDs or high shutter speeds.

But it's a nice bonus!

ISO 64 is a really nice addition. 
I will definitely keep an eye on it for next year when I might need a DSLR again for some sports type of events.

Is the video AF useless for anything other than stationary objects?

Sounds like the AF/EVF/OIS make the Sony cameras much more flexible for video, and if the A7III gets the full frame 4K image right as well, at a reasonable price, then it will be hard to justify getting the 850 unless you need the top class stills performance.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nope. Only the Sony cameras allow this. Not even the Panasonic GH5 lets you do it.

I'm still not sure why Panasonic cameras (or Olympus) haven't implemented this, especially now with the increased CPU power. in the cameras.  All the Panasonic cameras can punch in  before pressing record with a simple click of a wheel.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, hansel said:

Hey Andrew,

sorry if you know this already. Not sure if there are any "i" buttons on the d850? On my d750 there is one on the right side of the cam which lets you toggle screen overlays in live view. This lets you remove (pretty much) any overlay but the red rectangle. The other "i" button on the left lets you open a sub menu to change different things, including framerate, while in live view....

Does this work on the d850?

Best.

Of course there's the "i" and "info" buttons and you can cycle display modes but none of the cycles remove the filename stamp during recording or the clip time remaining counter unfortunately.

Why aren't Nikon testers picking up on stuff like this... Oh I forgot they are all "yes men"

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why aren't Nikon testers picking up on stuff like this... Oh I forgot they are all "yes men

I think "Nikon testers" is an oxymoron. Personally I think their menu(s) are quite flawed specially when you jump in and out of Liveview. I doubt they do proper User testing sessions. It should be easy giving you a couple of monies and let you fondle it abit would increase usability by far  but who am I saying this to....

2 hours ago, ivanku said:

How does the rolling shutter compare to A7sII? 1DX II? And given that the 1DX II has no LOG natively, how does the quality of the flat profile and overall look of the 4K footage compare to the regular profiles from the 1DX II?

There is a comparison near the end of this video: 

The D850 has better color/skintones vs. Sony or Panasonic, however AF isn't really usable and rolling shutter is very high. Do you still have a 1DX II? Curious why you didn't compare the 1DX II, which currently has the best balance of usable features for high-end stills and 4K DSLR video. 4K MJPEG is indeed heavy for storage, though the latest version of Resolve can play the footage smoothly on somewhat old hardware (e.g. 2010 MacPro and GTX 980-level GPU). A modern PC can play the 4K MJPEG (including 60p) in real-time in Premiere Pro CC. When aliasing isn't an issue and doing mostly medium and closeups, 1080p full frame looks excellent / filmic at 24, 60, and even 120fps (DPAF works in all modes), along with fairly small H.264 files.