Leaked: is a new Sound Devices MixPre-10T coming soon?

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That is so interesting! I hope that is true, as good as the Mixpre6 is, is missing some features for strictly professional use. I could spend double the mixpre6 money for just a few additions more, and probably better build quality and double sd card slots.

A new 633 would be perfect as well.

47 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

That is so interesting! I hope that is true, as good as the Mixpre6 is, is missing some features for strictly professional use. I could spend double the mixpre6 money for just a few additions more, and probably better build quality and double sd card slots.

Yeah when I discovered that the MixPre6 can't do TC in your bag without losing inputs 5/6, that was a massive flaw in my eyes for its price. Much happier with my Zoom F4! :-)

48 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

A new 633 would be perfect as well.

What I expect/hope is the next update on the higher end from Sound Devices is an updated 664, as that is getting long in the tooth. (it is the oldest of the 600 series)

While the 700 series might go to the same place the 400 series went....

Yes, mixpre6 is an amateurish/semi pro device with the best mic amps/limiter/headphone amp in the market(for its price), and capable of being a really good and useful usb interface.

It is a stretch for as, pro soundies, but good for smaller jobs/budgets or as a backup. 

If you already own Zoom 4/8 there is no need to worry, but as I have been left behind with the older Tascam generation, a mixpre6 for now, until a newer and better 6XX shown, is maybe my best bet.

A 664 is what I really need, I said 633 because it has a friendlier price tag to my budget!

Zaxcom is always an option as well, but it is around 20-35% more expensive than Sound Devices with Lectros/Wisycom/Audio ltd solutions, and if you have to spend 15.000$ for a good starting kit, 30% is a substantial increase in budget.

I love Sonosax's minimalism though!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Zaxcom is always an option as well, but it is around 20-35% more expensive than Sound Devices with Lectros/Wisycom/Audio ltd solutions, and if you have to spend 15.000$ for a good starting kit, 30% is a substantial increase in budget.

Yeah in an ideal world I'd like to try out a full Zaxcom system, as I like how their wireless can work together with their recorders. 

But...... PRICEY! :-o 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I love Sonosax's minimalism though!

Had a fellow local sound recordist just get a Sonosax SX-R4+, the first (and only) one in the country!

It is impressively small for what it can do. 

But.... PRICEY! :-o :-o 

On his Sonosax kit he spent over NZ$10K

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah in an ideal world I'd like to try out a full Zaxcom system, as I like how their wireless can work together with their recorders. 

But...... PRICEY! :-o 

Had a fellow local sound recordist just get a Sonosax SX-R4+, the first (and only) one in the country!

It is impressively small for what it can do. 

But.... PRICEY! :-o :-o 

On his Sonosax kit he spent over NZ$10K

But when you hear the quality of the recording with top notch mic's you will wish you hadn't as you will want one.......

https://www.sounddevices.com/news/sound-devices-news/the-mixpre-10t-announced-as-newest-member-of-mixpre-series

Wow, is real! :-o 

I'm just trying to convince myself this isn't some kind of elaborate early April Fool's Day Prank! Ha.

Impressive. Very surprised to see 10x Kashmir pre-amps on this device. (Although the price was a little on the higher side of my previous wild guess)

It is just unbelievable. I'm speechless.

What is the price anyway? I can't seem to find a valid reseller in Europe.

@IronFilm what do you think we are missing now? Timecode is there, usb backup is there, yet else?

That certainly will eat from their pro range.

It is scary to see what the next 6xx will have..

Dual SD cards would've been nice. But using an ultra low profile USB stick (that won't stick out at all in your bag) would be an ok work around.

Lacks input/output options of the higher end recorders, but practically speaking for at our level, it has everything we need.

Lacks Dugan like 633/688 has.

Am sure there are more things, but I only saw this announcement when I woke up this morning, thus only had a moment to look over it before leaving. As on a shoot today.

I'm guessing based on what the US price is, it would be around roughly 1.8K ish euros?!?! Or just take whatever is your current MixPre-6 price is, & double it, that is an easy prediction of the MixPre-10T price.

1100€ is the mix pre 6, if it is around 1999€ that would be great!

Dugan would be perfect, but there is too much to ask, I can live without, I have never used any of those before anyway, feel like AF, it is good to have, but I almost never use it anyway.

USB stick recording it is just awesome. You do not need a second sd card slot anyway, and it is directly plug n play. You do not need even a card reader!

The only thing I am sceptical about, is the joystick that play/rec/stop. I am not sure how reliable and tough this is. First time I've seen something like this.

Do not know what is the deal with, but SoundDevices brand is relentless!

20 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The only thing I am sceptical about, is the joystick that play/rec/stop. I am not sure how reliable and tough this is. First time I've seen something like this.

My Sound Devices 552 works in the same way, feels weird and strange at first, but you get used to it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Had a play around with the MixPre10T yesterday for a good length of time, the teeny tiny touch screen annoyed me much less than I was expecting, but oh boy, that menu knob on the side.... annoyed me waaaaaaaaaaay more than I thought it would! Ugh. Maybe if only the headphone input was elsewhere to give your fingers a little bit more room around the knob then perhaps I'd have found the location "tolerable". But as it is not, I'm inclined to feel like the knobs location is "almost a dealbreaker" for me when you need to use it so much during a day.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Had a play around with the MixPre10T yesterday for a good length of time, the teeny tiny touch screen annoyed me much less than I was expecting, but oh boy, that menu knob on the side.... annoyed me waaaaaaaaaaay more than I thought it would! Ugh. Maybe if only the headphone input was elsewhere to give your fingers a little bit more room around the knob then perhaps I'd have found the location "tolerable". But as it is not, I'm inclined to feel like the knobs location is "almost a dealbreaker" for me when you need to use it so much during a day.

Both the touch screen - almost unusable for my fingers, and the menu knob on the side - which do a million thing - are dealbrakers for me in the field.

Small PFL buttons on Zoom are terrible also though.

If you haven't had a play with them @Kisaha then I do recommend it! As these points are very subjective, and are sure to vary from person to person, and you really won't know for sure until you get your own hands on it. 

Certainly shifted some of my own views on the MixPre, but overall I left with the same broad opinion: am very happy to have my Zoom F8n instead! :-)