Sony Cinegamma or Creative Style with the least amount of noise

kidzrevil

I just picked up a sony a6500 as a second body and was wondering what Cinegamma or creative style yields the least amount of noise. I don’t care about getting the flattest image or the most dynamic range. So far I’ve been playing with the Cine 1 and Cine 3 gamma. Which do you use ? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@kidzrevil How much you go up in ISO Kidz?

When I shot NX1 I go 1600, and sometimes 3200 maximum (rarely, 3200 is not good at all), while friends with a6300/a6500 go up to 6400 easily. This is somehow balanced when I use the S lens that starts from 2f, and the primes (1.8f, 2f) while most of the Sony owners use the 18-105 4f.

What is your opinion about the difference in ISO for those two cameras (NX1 vs a6500)?

What about your Panasonic vs NX1 vs a6300?

Cheers.

@Kisaha I go no higher than 1600. 800 iso is my ceiling for how I expose my images. I am looking for a cinegamma that exaggerates noise in the shadows and midtones the least. My slowest prime with the speedbooster is a 2.5 and my fastest is 1.2 so im not too worried about that. 

Generally I think all these cameras perform best between iso 100-800 and exposing at the base iso is ideal. 1600 and up I believe the camera manufacturers run some sort of noise reduction in conjunction with the codec so the bitrate doesn’t get consumed by all that noise. H.265 turns noise into macroblocking and its noticeable on the nx1 at 1600 but the bitrate hack helps tremendously. The H.264 cameras smudge the noise detail with temporal noise reduction. So the highest iso for my use is the ones where the temporal noise reduction doesn’t smear detail so I stay close to the base iso.

higher contrast picture profiles tend to help mask or eliminate the effects of the noise reduction artifacts