Testing Resolve 14 Video and Audio FX

jcs

Tried the latest release version of Resolve 14 (free version, will probably get the $299 version after this test). Added a bunch of video and audio effects to a Canon 1DX II clip (1080p, full frame):

59d29c018f014_ScreenShot2017-10-02at1_04_45PM.png.17113360826ff27b2103426a0c23d2e9.png

Pretty impressive performance on a 2010 MacPro and GTX980ti. Close to real time loaded with all these effects (easily realtime with basic effects / grading). Audio when not in the Fairlight panel is still 'clicky' after a few effects have been applied; guessing they're making video a priority and dropping audio samples to 'keep up'. A trivial linear interpolator could eliminate those annoying clicks; hopefully they'll fix that soon. Other than that, Resolve is looking really good. The stabilizer is faster than PP CC, and works much better. Their Film Grain and other locked/watermarked effects looked decent, will test them out after purchasing the app.

1DX II 4K 422 MJPEG also played butter smooth- first time I've seen this footage in real-time on this computer (state of the art PC plays these clips in real-time on GTX1080).

Purchasing: when you click the Buy Now button, it takes you to the web, then shows a list of retail stores. It's also available in the Apple App store, however someone reported that the App Store version won't allow the use of 3rd party OFX plugins? Is there a dongle for the retail/box version? One thing I like about PP CC is the ease of use on multiple computers and OSes vs having to schlep around a hardware dongle and use up a USB port.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Ty Harper said:

Are you able to export single clips with the source audio swapped out for external audio?

Did a quick test- it appears to stop / not-export on sections where the audio has been swapped. I would expect it to render each video section as a separate clip, no matter what audio is included (even if the audio bridges multiple video clips). That would be the 'obvious' behavior, and thus the current behavior looks like a bug. From a code/design point of view, running the renderer for each video clip as the in/out for each clip would be trivial to code... If not they need to abstract out the rendering system and generalize, then doing what I described is trivial to code. Guess product managers have developers working on other things they deem higher priority.

I played a bit with the previous version and I went back to my bad old Ad Pr.

The software ain't there yet for me to change completely my workflow. I was hoping the latest version would be much improved, as I could be able to edit some basic projects on the free version.

I will be looking forward for the next version now. At one point, it may be the king, and for cheap.

13 hours ago, jcs said:

Did a quick test- it appears to stop / not-export on sections where the audio has been swapped. I would expect it to render each video section as a separate clip, no matter what audio is included (even if the audio bridges multiple video clips). That would be the 'obvious' behavior, and thus the current behavior looks like a bug. From a code/design point of view, running the renderer for each video clip as the in/out for each clip would be trivial to code... If not they need to abstract out the rendering system and generalize, then doing what I described is trivial to code. Guess product managers have developers working on other things they deem higher priority.

People have been asking them to address this issue for years now. Not sure why they haven't but it's the reason I can't fully commit to this program. Thanks for the update tho!

The Fairlight panel needs dramatic improvements IMO. I just tried to record 40 seconds of ADR but ended up with 14hrs of RAW audio on my HDD. All of which had the same recording on it from when I made the track record-enabled to when I exited the program in frustration. The clip it generates also starts at a random location from your session (and is an hour long). The sound I literally got was "Okay I'll do that recording now" and the clip ends... Creepy! - Atleast its that for me, I'm using Windows 10. Messaged them about it right now + a bunch of other quirks.