Riser to lift G85 above tripod head that is too large

brentil

I bought a Panasonic G85 and a Manfrotto 502 head/tripod for some students to use for school projects.  I did not consider the fact that this head is much too large for a small camera with this form factor.  It's impossible for us to operate zoom and focus rings on our lenses unless we mount the camera very far forward on the tripod head.  But then I can't reach the EVF with my eye.  I imagine some kind of riser that lifts the camera above the tripod head would give me the clearance I need. 
Something like this seems like it would work:  http://www.filmtools.com/cameradept/spreadtripca/tripod-accessories-93/risers/arri-canon-5d-riser-for-mbp-1-337151.html

or: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044142-REG/cambo_99211106_compact_camera_tripod_mount_riser.html

Any simple and more inexpensive solutions recommended?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I thought those prices are high too, but I hate to complain when I know that there is value to the skills and tools it required to make specialized products like this. 

We are in USA. However, it's tricky for us to purchase anything outside of our approved vendor list (Amazon, BH Photo, etc) unless it comes out of our own pockets. 

I don't think the riser needs to be very tall. One or two inches would be plenty.  

If you're going to buy either of those, I'd seriously consider the Zacuto DSLR baseplate.

It's an older model that is still available on some places like Adorama and I think Amazon, but is right around the price range of the items you have listed and gives you a lot more variety and options in addition to simply raising the camera.

https://www.adorama.com/zczdslrb.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJaly8LK1gIVjlmGCh1j1QNHEAQYASABEgL1ovD_BwE

1 hour ago, brentil said:

I thought those prices are high too, but I hate to complain when I know that there is value to the skills and tools it required to make specialized products like this. 

We are in USA. However, it's tricky for us to purchase anything outside of our approved vendor list (Amazon, BH Photo, etc) unless it comes out of our own pockets. 

I don't think the riser needs to be very tall. One or two inches would be plenty.  

I can put it on Amazon (where I sell my vlogging mirror, and X3000 attachment).  At workshop now, will see what I can cobble together!  No obligation for you to buy!  It's a problem I've had before too so I'd like to have a solution ready.

2 hours ago, maxotics said:

I can put it on Amazon (where I sell my vlogging mirror, and X3000 attachment).  At workshop now, will see what I can cobble together!  No obligation for you to buy!  It's a problem I've had before too so I'd like to have a solution ready.

That sounds promising. I don't have total control of spending here but if you come up with a good solution I'd love to support you. 

On my NX1 I attach the extra grip when using the 16-50mm S lens, since the lens protrudes below the body and it does not have a tripod collar like it's longer sibling. It lifts the camera clear of the bridge. Otherwise you have to mount the camera far forward on the slider and it unbalances the head. If there is any sort of attachment like that for your camera, you could use that. Even a grip for a completely different body might work, since they all use the tripod screw at the base of the camera to attach anyway. It would look a little odd, but it should do what you need.

7 minutes ago, Bizz said:

You beat me to it!  I was also going to suggest a cheap base rig with rails with this one that has adjustable height on the camera platform.

Op, you might as well get a cheap rig such as this that additionally gives you rails to attach a matte box or lens hood, a follow focus, etc., if you ever want to use such items.

On the other hand, you could also just slide the camera to its most forward position on the Manfrotto 502.

48 minutes ago, brentil said:

That sounds promising. I don't have total control of spending here but if you come up with a good solution I'd love to support you. 

For now, just looking to solve a problem ;)  Here's where I'm at now.  I can already think of some improvements.  PM your address if you'd like to try it out and give me some feedback.  Don't want any money!  

WIN_20170929_14_03_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170929_14_04_13_Pro.jpg

57 minutes ago, maxotics said:

For now, just looking to solve a problem ;)  Here's where I'm at now.  I can already think of some improvements.  PM your address if you'd like to try it out and give me some feedback.  Don't want any money!  

WIN_20170929_14_03_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170929_14_04_13_Pro.jpg

I would like to try that! The classroom teacher and I talked about trying to make something similar to that but weren't exactly sure how to approach it. 

3 minutes ago, brentil said:

I would like to try that! The classroom teacher and I talked about trying to make something similar to that but weren't exactly sure how to approach it. 

That's done using a laser cutter.  Makes it easy to dimension everything exactly.   I need the top part to be higher, so a longer 1/4 screw could fit in.  Thinking I should make it wider so 1/4 things could be mounted on sides, one hole pass-through, another 1/4 threaded.  For example, one could mount a boom mic on the side, or a receiver, etc. Any thoughts anyone has here please let 'em fly!

1 hour ago, tupp said:

You beat me to it!  I was also going to suggest a cheap base rig with rails with this one that has adjustable height on the camera platform.

Op, you might as well get a cheap rig such as this that additionally gives you rails to attach a matte box or lens hood, a follow focus, etc., if you ever want to use such items.

On the other hand, you could also just slide the camera to its most forward position on the Manfrotto 502.

I like that a lot. Verb affordable too. Just yesterday I was explainibg to the classroom teacher why it's good to rig up a camera and attach accessories like Follow focus. We don't have much of a budget,  but with stuff like this maybe we could venture into it.