GoPro Fusion - The natural evolution of GoPro

Don Kotlos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, jcs said:

What makes it cool is ease of use for these advanced effects. Lots of creative possibilities! Next they'll add depth sensors so we can simulate any camera/lens in post :)  

Yeah, crazy how the tools in cinematography can change over time, it is so fast that sometimes is hard to keep up with all the new tools. 

24 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

Also the Hero 6 was announced. 

I was aiming for Hero 6 then I found out about Fusion and now I am in confusion. 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Why can't we have an action camera with a bigger sensor??!!(m43 cameras cost less than hero6)

Sony (again) is in the right track I guess, just not good enough yet.

Mi is doing interesting action cams for very competitive prices.

DJI?

There was the Z Cam E1 one time... indeed Sony with the RX0. I think it's a miss not going for optical/sensor stabilization. Again this EIS, with accelerometers and gyroscope to get some 'advanced stabilization' going on, the best in any HERO thusfar they say (I mean, I better hope so)... but although we've seen SteadXP & Microsoft Hyperlapse can be somewhat effective, there's a high change or unwanted image warping and you're throwing away resolution. So... not sure if that's the right move. Sony goes SteadyShot... but that formfactor to me is awkward as fuck and seems only used by people who are riding motorcycles and other vehicles to get rid of that road bumpiness. Yeah, I quite like DJI. I remember seeing the following video and that really impressed me... just comes down to affordability, really. Maybe it's the midrange norm soon enough!

-- Dang, just looking back at this footage again, that '3D pop' that depth layering is absolutely insane. Details and everything is so stunning.

39 minutes ago, thefactory said:

Bit late to the 360 party and already behind. 

Sorta... though everyone bought a bunch of GoPros to form their own multicam rigs... so... that must not have been that bad. And 360 like that of the Ricoh Theta or Nikon Whatyamacallit is not really up to snuff. I don't actually think it's that much about the camera itself, I think it's more about that OverCapture that's going to make it sell.

9 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Sorta... though everyone bought a bunch of GoPros to form their own multicam rigs... so... that must not have been that bad. And 360 like that of the Ricoh Theta or Nikon Whatyamacallit is not really up to snuff. I don't actually think it's that much about the camera itself, I think it's more about that OverCapture that's going to make it sell.

Yeah the entry level stuff is still a bit junky. I have been playing with the Insta360 one (300 bucks) and it’s not up to it yet but they already have OverCapture type software. I think you need 8k to get decent results. I think the Insta360 Pro does 8k (6k internal camera auto stitching 8k external stitching). 

The next 12 months is going to be interesting as the higher end stuff is coming down in price fast. 

10 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I’ll be shooting a review of the GoPro 6 next week. Anything you guys want to see? Any requests?

Yes please! Noone yet compared Protune NativeWb  Flat gamma Low sharpness with the previous models. The Ceo said they improved the dynamic range here about 1 stop in this mode too! 

Noise comparison in low light with 1080p? Everyone comparing 4k in low light so the new NR cant shine.

Ohh and please show comparison with the new codec noise levels. With the Hero4 black in 4K Protune native flat with low sharpness the codec is clearly unable to hold up (400% crop and its obvious) even with static frame

It would be nice to see a comparison with the new raw audio options with and without external microphone.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I just got my GoPro Hero 6 vs 5 comparison video finished! I shot the non GoPro stuff with my 80D using the EOSHD Cinema 4 profile! No color grading at all.

This video asks the wrong question (still well done). The question should be: Should I upgrade by buying a GoPro? The answer is likely 'no', if you want 4K 60P consider the Yi 4K+, at half the price of the GoPro 6. See the thread on that here, with actual video examples.

On 10/2/2017 at 2:37 AM, Santiago de la Rosa said:

Interested in Hero 6 Black, anyone has tested it? Image quality vs Hero5?

I know it already clearly illustrated elsewhere, but the Hero6 is without a doubt a step up from the Hero5. You just have to decide if those improvements are useful to you. I've got a few Hero5's and they stay at home unless I need an extra or dummy cam now that I have the Hero6

22 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

GoPro.IS and color science alone justify the hero6 

No. Why act as if the only action cam upgrade is a new model GoPro? I agree that the IS is good, but it's still not working in 4K 60P, it still degrades the IQ and it is nowhere near as effective as a gimbal. 60P is essential for action. The GoPro 6 image quality ("color science") is inferior to that of the Yi 4K+, which also shoot 4K 60P, at up to 200 Mbps. It has better audio too. And it is half the price. Google dropped GoPros in favor of Yi's for its 360 camera array.

25 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

IS and color science alone justify the hero6 

Good review. I like what you’re doing with your channel. Any plans on reviewing the 5D4? I’ve seen some really good videos from it lately.

1 minute ago, markr041 said:

No. Why act as if the only action cam upgrade is a new model GoPro? I agree that the IS is good, but it's still not working in 4K 60P, it still degrades the IQ and it is nowhere near as effective as a gimbal. 60P is essential for action. The GoPro 6 image quality ("color science") is inferior to that of the Yi 4K+, which also shoot 4K 60P, at up to 200 Mbps. It has better audio too. And it is half the price. Google dropped GoPros in favor of Yi's for its 360 camera array.

Well this is a thread about GoPro and his review was a comparison between two GoPros... so...

Of course I just asked him a question about the 5D4, so don’t mind me.

With that being said, I really like your Yi 4K videos... great work!!!

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

omGood review. I like what you’re doing with your channel. Any plans on reviewing the 5D4? I’ve seen some really good videos from it lately.

Well this is a thread about GoPro and his review was a comparison between two GoPros... so...

Of course I just asked him a question about the 5D4, so don’t mind me.

With that being said, I really like your Yi 4K videos... great work!!!

Thanks, I take your point but

And then someone posted a video here comparing the Yi to the GoPro...

I do perhaps over-react because there is such a focus on GoPro from their early domination, that many just will not look around at what is happening, which is that GoPro is no longer at the frontier and is way overpriced.

33 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Thanks, I take your point but

And then someone posted a video here comparing the Yi to the GoPro...

I do perhaps over-react because there is such a focus on GoPro from their early domination, that many just will not look around at what is happening, which is that GoPro is no longer at the frontier and is way overpriced.

Have you tried the Ribcage mod for the Yi? I’ve been a fan of it since the earlier GoPro variation but I recently saw they made one for the Yi 4K... with some old Kern Super 8mm lenses and that high bitrate 4K, there could be a really interesting look to be had.

Btw, I see your point also. GoPro has gotten better with every generation but they are a bit overpriced and Yi seems to take huge jumps with every generation. How’s the build quality?