Old Fords NX1 +Pro Mist Filter

Juxx989

Shot this throw away footage about a month ago. at the time I was all into that Steve Yedlin post and talk about resolution and haliation (is that how you spell it?) Went on a tear looking for a some Tiffen filters from my NX "S" Lenses average price was $100+ for a pro mist black. I scoured until I found a Pro-Mist 3 for $18 on amazon.

I was walking past a classic repair shop and found these subjects...  I put mega film grain on it trying to match that Yedlin look.

Untitled_2.1.1.thumb.jpg.d54f038cb6582b1be7e52282e37dcd17.jpg

Untitled_1.2.1.thumb.jpg.95a42eb3b9648db1feee22065cf2f640.jpg

Untitled_1.2.1.thumb.jpg.0bf78097932af5043710ef90b2cc4e45.jpg

Untitled_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.7367f3ed4c239aabe7ac4055594c1cfe.jpg

All Hand held stuff. 

and if for some reason you want the 1.8 GB output from resolve (not sure why) its here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0mz6D_bQOx7dHRLZzJ4bThCdm8

Next Test I got a Tiffen Ultra Contrast Low Light....

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/27/2017 at 12:51 PM, Juxx989 said:

Shot this throw away footage about a month ago. at the time I was all into that Steve Yedlin post and talk about resolution and haliation (is that how you spell it?) Went on a tear looking for a some Tiffen filters from my NX "S" Lenses average price was $100+ for a pro mist black. I scoured until I found a Pro-Mist 3 for $18 on amazon.

I was walking past a classic repair shop and found these subjects...  I put mega film grain on it trying to match that Yedlin look.

Untitled_2.1.1.thumb.jpg.d54f038cb6582b1be7e52282e37dcd17.jpg

Untitled_1.2.1.thumb.jpg.95a42eb3b9648db1feee22065cf2f640.jpg

Untitled_1.2.1.thumb.jpg.0bf78097932af5043710ef90b2cc4e45.jpg

Untitled_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.7367f3ed4c239aabe7ac4055594c1cfe.jpg

THIS! This is exactly the avenue I'm researching. Just look how much smoother the highlights are rolling off with the filter applied? You're not getting that harsh/high specular. Very creamy, and filmic.

Now try to diffuse your light sources and watch what happens. RED territory baby! ?

I'm looking at a Soft FX 1/2 / Black Mist Pro 1/4 combo right now. Amazon has the Soft FX in 76mm for $27 right now.

I'm so happy you posted this. 

All Hand held stuff. 

and if for some reason you want the 1.8 GB output from resolve (not sure why) its here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0mz6D_bQOx7dHRLZzJ4bThCdm8

Next Test I got a Tiffen Ultra Contrast Low Light....

2 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

THIS! This is exactly the avenue I'm researching. Just look how much smoother the highlights are rolling off with the filter applied? You're not getting that harsh/high specular. Very creamy, and filmic.

Now try to diffuse your light sources and watch what happens. RED territory baby! ?

I'm looking at a Soft FX 1/2 / Black Mist Pro 1/4 combo right now. Amazon has the Soft FX in 76mm for $27 right now.

I'm so happy you posted this. 

Hey Thanks im glad it helped you... No to much action anymore here. I come every day to check this forum and this is the first post in like 5 days!

If interested here is some video grabs from NX-1+Tiffen Low Light Ultra Contrast

5a4347546ac2e_AndyOOC2_1_22.4.thumb.jpg.34d42ff4e82bba771efad76bbeded5d1.jpg

Its supposed to be a low light filter but I used it in Noonish sunlight... but check out that MEGA Green cast it puts on it.... This is out of camera

Grades nicely though

Andy_3.1.1.thumb.jpg.118f50980cc2582c1a5b8f260b69c7f1.jpg

Its a pain using these without a lens hood and or a fullfleged Matte Box  Letting it get flared is bad unless that's your artistic choice

Im cheap so I found a used one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Cinetactics-MB100M-Rugged-protection-carrying/dp/B01GU8MAHG

I got mine for $20 but this one is $14 on amazon whats good about it is its light and it folds flat in your bag when you dont need it. it can also hold an 4x4 filter  If you have an S-Lens you need a 100mm to 72mm step ring to strap strap it too... Just tightens with velcro like a weight lifting gloves

Got my eyes peeled trying to find a cheap Real matte box  and getting a 4x4 Filter and be done with screwing on and off filters and rotating your ND filter just to have you cheap Matte Box upside down and have to fix it.

1 hour ago, Juxx989 said:

Hey Thanks im glad it helped you... No to much action anymore here. I come every day to check this forum and this is the first post in like 5 days!

If interested here is some video grabs from NX-1+Tiffen Low Light Ultra Contrast

5a4347546ac2e_AndyOOC2_1_22.4.thumb.jpg.34d42ff4e82bba771efad76bbeded5d1.jpg

Its supposed to be a low light filter but I used it in Noonish sunlight... but check out that MEGA Green cast it puts on it.... This is out of camera

Grades nicely though

Andy_3.1.1.thumb.jpg.118f50980cc2582c1a5b8f260b69c7f1.jpg

Its a pain using these without a lens hood and or a fullfleged Matte Box  Letting it get flared is bad unless that's your artistic choice

Im cheap so I found a used one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Cinetactics-MB100M-Rugged-protection-carrying/dp/B01GU8MAHG

I got mine for $20 but this one is $14 on amazon whats good about it is its light and it folds flat in your bag when you dont need it. it can also hold an 4x4 filter  If you have an S-Lens you need a 100mm to 72mm step ring to strap strap it too... Just tightens with velcro like a weight lifting gloves

Got my eyes peeled trying to find a cheap Real matte box  and getting a 4x4 Filter and be done with screwing on and off filters and rotating your ND filter just to have you cheap Matte Box upside down and have to fix it.

The green cast is more prominent than I imagined. But it is apparently pretty notorious on some of Tiffen's diffusion sets. You were able to grade it out pretty well though, so kudos on that. Was it difficult to tell if you had a good exposure using it? 

That issue aside, look how many stops you gained, I would at least say 1-3 easily. You were able to retain all the details in the shadows without any crushing, and your specular highlights particularly on his cheeks are not clipping. The rolloff seems pretty smooth too, but I'm not sure if this particular filter is attributing to that aspect. Diffused lighting will cause the same effect, its hard to tell. Cast shadows on the face seem pretty widely dispersed.

Overall, I'd say the filter is a success. Would you agree? 

As far as a matte box. I've gone through a few, including a cheap plastic one, and I would only reccomend one that swings away. Otherwise the effort of having to move it off the rail supports is probably just as involved as screwing off a round filter every time you want to switch a lens.

Also worth considering is your overall weight and footprint a matte box adds to your rig. It looks pretty damn cool and really helps cut out flaring, (with flags) but not the best solution when you want to be a bit more inconspicuous and nimble. I have both systems for various situations, which works out great, but it can get pretty costly. You don't want to cheap out in this area because you definitely get what you pay for. 

Here's the matte box I have which is on the cheaper end of the spectrum but not exactly cheap as in build and feature set:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwju2t-k8qnYAhVFuMAKHeQOAc4YABAOGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2UOS6SdwHGsCvTgYEXVax&sig=AOD64_0QpK1xICus5qTNgEKgBJHmElAslQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjS7tek8qnYAhXE5IMKHTZSBlQQwg8IOg&adurl=

(I paid about $50 more for mine so the above is actually a pretty good deal) 

Again, you'll need a rail/rod system, but that is fairly inexpensive and it gives you the option of also rigging up a shoulder mount/handle bar. 

There are cheaper options out there but you'll take a serious hit on quality and features. In my opinion that would end up being more cumbersome than helpful. 

There's also this, which would be a mix between round and square filter methods that attaches to the end of your lens:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiffen+square+filter+lens+mount&sa=X&biw=412&bih=652&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=7818347533224399528&prds=epd:1216066361220322567,paur:ClkAsKraX6_JxfmyXzAm_-A-FWEAvnkAYuT-Ts4kJdyU_GKHh8IKH8pS-PrNPUGfelZpdsqXxB6VEFlrX6LYdlfhZqivLv4tesWVhblTYZOuPMg33QElBaaNuxIZAFPVH71dIZ_GVDBOHebJKXEVdXGc5F_PNg,cdl:1,cid:2490656465789744560&ved=0ahUKEwiB16qq9KnYAhUTwGMKHWz_B8UQgTYIwQU

1 hour ago, Matthew Hartman said:

That issue aside, look how many stops you gained, I would at least say 1-3 easily

Im not sure but I like the look...

My Director friend is always Giving me grief because I don't mega crush the blacks. I guess Ive been hanging out here too long... We go through all that effort to capture as much dynamic range as possible and then throw all the low end away?  

I Have my blacks just touching zero on most shots.

One thing about this Shot is its Normal DR... Perhaps I could get more with GAMMA DR enabled or it could be severe overkill

Also this is straight from the H.265 file in resolve

Perhaps I could squeeze more quality out if I convert to Prores SQ or HQ 

As far as a matte box im going to try to snipe one thats worth $150-$250 brand new for around $75 on ebay... patience is key...I have more time than money. 

Generally I feel January is a buyers market... a lower percentage of people are shopping because most blew their financial wad on holiday spending. 

My Christmas is just beginning :glasses:

10 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

Im not sure but I like the look...

My Director friend is always Giving me grief because I don't mega crush the blacks. I guess Ive been hanging out here too long... We go through all that effort to capture as much dynamic range as possible and then throw all the low end away?  

I Have my blacks just touching zero on most shots.

One thing about this Shot is its Normal DR... Perhaps I could get more with GAMMA DR enabled or it could be severe overkill

Also this is straight from the H.265 file in resolve

Perhaps I could squeeze more quality out if I convert to Prores SQ or HQ 

As far as a matte box im going to try to snipe one thats worth $150-$250 brand new for around $75 on ebay... patience is key...I have more time than money. 

Generally I feel January is a buyers market... a lower percentage of people are shopping because most blew their financial wad on holiday spending. 

My Christmas is just beginning :glasses:

Ah yes, directors. I generally don't like working with directors who have little working knowledge of camera operating and grading/color theory.

The last one I worked with was completely clueless of these things and I felt like I was constantly pushing back on ideas that I knew would destroy the image or make for a less than ideal shot. I approached it lightly, with a lot of patience, and good faith for future partnership.

Then after the second day of the edit, she was absolutely destroying the image in grade and reframing every shot out of any acceptable realm of composition.

I spoke up to explain the merritts of exposure values and the rule of thirds, and then I was told, "Don't tell me about when I'm breaking cinematography principles anymore, it's ruining my flow". 

Nope...I'm out. Aint nobody got time for that. Quit right there and then. Get a friend to hit the record button for you next time. 

The sadest part is I cant use her cut for my demoreel, it's that horrible and makes me look like I don't know what the hell I'm doing as a DP/Cinematographer.

She literally selected the worst shots, even setup shots out of the tons of great footage I captured for her.

Disaster. You live, you learn.