Released! 4 Panasonic Firmwares; GH5, GH4, and two lenses

Orangenz

13 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Reality is not black and white (in a manner of speaking). Plus I think you live in a bubble that does not include certain countries. 

I might very well be, but have you ever seen a card that isn't up to its minimum sustained write spec with a system that isn't the bottleneck?  I am curious. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Don Kotlos said:

I might very well be, but have you ever seen a card that isn't up to is minimum sustained write spec with a system that isn't the bottleneck?  I am curious. 

You must be in a verrrry small bubble. So you have not used SD cards much? If so then just re-read what I've said and look for a good brand not the cheapest brand. I'd do the same with airlines. What goes on behind the scenes is funny stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

You must be in a verrrry small bubble. So you have not used SD cards much? If so then just re-read what I've said and look for a good brand not the cheapest brand. I'd do the same with airlines. What goes on behind the scenes is funny stuff. 

Again, I might very well be but in the 15 years of using hundreds of SD cards I have never seen a card not supporting its minimum sustained write speed, nor I have met anyone that did. Not even in this forum. 

What I have seen though, is a plethora of people confusing maximum write speeds with minimum write speeds. 

You might be the first person outside of my bubble that had a problem, so can you describe your experience ? Was there a problem with a manufacturer or just one faulty card? 

20 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Again, I might very well be but in the 15 years of using hundreds of SD cards I have never seen a card not supporting its minimum sustained write speed, nor I have met anyone that did. Not even in this forum. 

What I have seen though, is a plethora of people confusing maximum write speeds with minimum write speeds. 

Yes I noticed you added that rider. You're being disingenuous. Just re-read what I've said and look for a good brand not the cheapest brand.

11 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Yes I noticed you added that rider. You're being disingenuous. Just re-read what I've said and look for a good brand not the cheapest brand.

Rider? Disingenuous? I am not sure what you are talking about, but I am starting to believe that you also don't know what you are talking about. 

Advising people to buy a card that is not up to spec only because it works for you ?  You should re-read what @philipd wrote:

29 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Rider? Disingenuous? I am not sure what you are talking about, but I am starting to believe that you also don't know what you are talking about. 

Advising people to buy a card that is not up to spec only because it works for you ?  You should re-read what @philipd wrote:

Have you bought a cheaper UHS-II card and see my comments as attacking your purchase? Not at all. If you have the choice, get the V rated card. I've pointed out the inconsistencies elsewhere with what Phil said but also correct in that the standard provides for more functionality such as dual card record.

Anyway, back to what you've been saying. You argue:

• That you have been using V rated cards for 15 years without a single failure
  • That if a company in China does something wrong then we fix everything by suing them
  • That if V rated cards fail then it doesn't count 

All of this is very silly.

Tell me (us) what card you are running to record the 400Mbps stream, if it copes with dual record. This will be most helpful. 

12 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Have you bought a cheaper UHS-II card and see my comments as attacking your purchase? Not at all. If you have the choice, get the V rated card. I've pointed out the inconsistencies elsewhere with what Phil said but also correct in that the standard provides for more functionality such as dual card record.

Anyway, back to what you've been saying. You argue:

• That you have been using V rated cards for 15 years without a single failure
  • That if a company in China does something wrong then we fix everything by suing them
  • That if V rated cards fail then it doesn't count 

All of this is very silly.

Tell me (us) what card you are running to record the 400Mbps stream, if it copes with dual record. This will be most helpful. 

The least you could do is not put words in my mouth. Stopping the insults is also a good idea. 

China or not, I have not had an SD card not meet its speed class. Have you?

UHS has nothing to do with that and just specifies the bus speed and not the speed of the card itself. 

I'm interested in how these work for you.  Please continue to let us know how well these work.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, DBounce said:

@futur2 I picked up these. They seem to work without issue. I choose the micro SD version as they will likely be more adaptable in the future (can also work in smartphones, drones etc). Also the construction of the micro SD seems to be more durable. As there is no hit to performance, the micro seemed to be the best option.  

On 9/27/2017 at 7:38 AM, jonpais said:

AF C still not too useful for vlogging anyhow.

I really dislike all these people doing auto focus tests, as it seems like some don't know what they are doing, and others are just posting click bait to get views/subscribers.

1. At 25p you are giving the processor very little data to work with. The higher the frame rate the more data points the processor has to work with and the better that auto focus will be.
  2. f/1.6 at 42.5mm and the distance he is is sitting from the camera, is again making the sensors job as hard as possible. if I had to guess He has a working DOF of about 3 to 7cm.

11 hours ago, Dan Sherman said:

I really dislike all these people doing auto focus tests, as it seems like some don't know what they are doing, and others are just posting click bait to get views/subscribers.

1. At 25p you are giving the processor very little data to work with. The higher the frame rate the more data points the processor has to work with and the better that auto focus will be.
  2. f/1.6 at 42.5mm and the distance he is is sitting from the camera, is again making the sensors job as hard as possible. if I had to guess He has a working DOF of about 3 to 7cm.

It is however a valid test for those of us whose everyday routine is to shoot at 24p with longer lenses wide open. There is little reason to use AF C when shooting at 8mm, like another vlogger does. ZedPro Media, an impartial reviewer competent to judge, just uploaded a fairly lengthy test with different settings outdoors and indoors with one of the 12-35mm lenses at f/2.8, and the results failed to impress. His Canon, Fuji and Sony cameras fared much better in earlier tests. 

With how amazing the GH5 in so many areas is I've been super tempted to ditch all my Sony gear and switch.  That 400Mbps codec looks amazing.  6K anamorphic!?  Goddamn.  The autofocus is literally the only thing holding me back.  I like doing a lot of gimbal run-and-gun stuff so I really want good touchscreen AF with solid tracking in my next camera.  So I'm stuck with 100Mbps XAVCS for a while.  Ugh.

I guess people are demanding for the wrong settings I'd say...

Take a 2nd look on it as said here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lv7adPinHY&lc=z22nw1dqeqfpddynqacdp43a30qlxkbo4ggo3pb4nfhw03c010c

"Are you using default settings?? You need to optimize it to be exactly perfect. Dont use the face recognizer.. use the single point on the middle and change the sensitive and speed reaction on it. And then, with the touch screen you can also choose the point to focus."

In another note, another (usual) reviewer adds that:

"One note I've learned is that autofocus on a subject that is standing still actually works better when the DOF is shallower (wide open aperture) than when the depth of field is deeper, f 3.5 and higher, the camera seems to hunt or pulse more often on a subject that's just standing still.  I mention this because off the top of the video you made a comment that shallow depth of field is the hardest for the camera to autofocus with, and I just wanted to throw my experience out there, that shallow depth of field *has helped* autofocus for me, on non moving subjects."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptvfIX40_9s&lc=z23owpsxskigufgluacdp431bqfglq24d0pu2emivmpw03c010c