Released! 4 Panasonic Firmwares; GH5, GH4, and two lenses

Orangenz

Just figured out, the camera still applies sharpening at -5. At least in 4k, although there are way less halo artifacts!
The 6K mode doesn't apply any further crop and looks almost identical to in DR14 decoded DNG from the GH5 (adobe dng converter used) with sharpening set at 0 in RAW decoding panel.

Great news!

IS lock seems to work great for gimbal usage, wouldn't use it handheld though, unless I'm walking.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, lmackreath said:

What would make you choose this over the 4k 60p?..does that extra 50mb and all intra make that much difference to the footage? I cant see myself using 1080p intra when i have the 4k 60p option....

Using V-Log and planning to use HLG, so I need 10 bit. ;)

On 9/27/2017 at 6:29 AM, Orangenz said:

I can confirm that my normal sandisk UHS-II (not V rated) works without any problems. No stops until the card full.

UHS-I card stopped after 23 seconds.

Also, the AF is veeeeery cool.

2017-09-27-16.21.35.jpg

Can anyone else tell their experience with UHS II (not V rated) cards?

6 hours ago, deezid said:

Using V-Log and planning to use HLG, so I need 10 bit. ;)

fair enough, it wasnt a moan...just interested...vlog is pretty bad in 8 bit. As much as the candence of 1080p all-i interests me i cant seem myself sacrificing the 4k resolution and options that that brings with it like post stabilsation and cropping..

28 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

That's why I feel like there should be something in between of 1080p and 4K, like 1440p, 2K/2.5K or 2.7K. Gives you more wiggle room for a touch of reframing, fake zoom/slide/tilt and stabilization, might be better quality than FHD when downsampled and allows for higher framerates than 4K.

I actually think the 1080p 50/60p 10bit mode is better than the 4k 50/60p mode. The extra resolution in 4k isn't significant enough. 

53 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I actually think the 1080p 50/60p 10bit mode is better than the 4k 50/60p mode. The extra resolution in 4k isn't significant enough. 

better in what sense? this is the all-i we are talking about? I do love the extra crop you get in ex-tel mode in 1080p compared to 4k...but again i think i would miss that extra wiggle room for reframing, cropping and stabilsation in post that 4k gives you...

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Had a friend have something a bit odd happen with his GH5, he has two identical Lexar cards, but one does, and the other doesn't work in his GH5!

Hi

Just because they are identical doesn't mean they are of course.  A lot of manufactures will buy in NAND memory from wherever is cheapest, and even if the same they will be differing quality.  In the same way Intel CPUs are mostly the same with the best off the production line running and sold at higher clock speeds, NAND works in a similar way.  Also as the NAND is used and bad blocks are mapped out, the speed and reliability will vary.  If it works and it isn't a V60/V90 card, it's a lucky find, buying the exact same again you may not be so lucky.

V90 cards are using the cream of NAND memory and a different recording protocol to achieve a guaranteed minimum write speed regardless if the card is fresh out of the packaging or on it's 100 use.  This is why they are more expensive and harder to come by. 

Regards

Phil

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm not seeing any difference in motion between ALL I and IPB, so I'll probably be sticking with 4K 150 Mbps. 

Hi

Me neither, and the likely hood of the final output being All-Intra is next to none, even if there was a visible benefit, it wouldn't be delivered that way. 

Also IPB in the GH5 codec isn't really that long of a GOP, as usually just 24 or 60 group of pictures is used in the GH5 for a group, in comparison internet streams or higher compression rates will see 200 or more before a clean I frame.  So cameras like the GH5 don't really suffer from motion issues caused by the compression anyway.  

Regards

Phil

44 minutes ago, futur2 said:

Is this the 280MB/s card? Thx

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275619-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpk_064g_ancin_extreme_pro_uhs_ii_64gb.html 

23 minutes ago, philipd said:

So cameras like the GH5 don't really suffer from motion issues caused by the compression anyway.  

Except you can see it if you look at the individual frames. Of course it's there. The only question is if that distortion is perceptible when playing back at 25fps or whatever.  

25 minutes ago, philipd said:

V90 cards are using the cream of NAND memory

Huh? Some manufacturers will use the best, others will not be. Some use MLC while Pana uses pSLC in their V90. Sandisk, Panasonic, and Toshiba should be good though, as they invented the SD card association. 

2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275619-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpk_064g_ancin_extreme_pro_uhs_ii_64gb.html 

Except you can see it if you look at the individual frames. Of course it's there. The only question is if that distortion is perceptible when playing back at 25fps or whatever.  

Huh? Some manufacturers will use the best, others will not be. Some use MLC while Pana uses pSLC in their V90. Sandisk, Panasonic, and Toshiba should be good though, as they invented the SD card association. 

Hi

Taken from https://superuser.com/questions/847016/performance-difference-between-sd-and-microsd-cards

Don't think of these cards as identical, precision parts. It is the opposite.

There is great variability in the manufactured output, and the process deals with yields and salvage. The product labeling is based on what bucket post-production testing puts them in.

The raw product is a commodity, and the quality and quantity of what is available in the marketplace varies. One comment describes a certain memory card seller as using "catch-of-the day".

What I mean is, we might be lucky and have a card that whilst it isn't rated V90, seems to perform okay, we then buy 4 others the same and find they don't work reliably if at all.

If it doesn't have V90 on it's label, then it isn't a V90 card, so whether it works or not is somewhat down to luck of the draw.  The card could also be so borderline, that it will work for the first couple of shoots, then fail consistently on the third.

The only way to have a V90 card is to buy one.  A card that isn't V90 is a different beast and is written too like a file system, whereas a V90 card switches the camera to recording in a more efficient and reliable way, probably why you have to have a least one of these to allow the camera to work fast enough to write a backup to both cards if that mode is selected.

Regards

Phil

20 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I doubt all V90 cards will be V90. Too easy to add a label. Best to go with a good brand with good QA and memory type. 

Don't confuse the arbitrary speed specs that manufacturers put on their cards with the speed class specification from the SD card association. V90 will be V90, otherwise they either wouldn't be able to use that label, or even worse be liable to very expensive lawsuits. Specifying minimum is way more strict than specifying maximum that you probably achieve only in benchmarks :) 

Now if the card is V90 one day and it stops working the next, thats a whole different matter. 

8 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Don't confuse the arbitrary speed specs that manufacturers put on their cards with the speed class specification from the SD card association. V90 will be V90, otherwise they either wouldn't be able to use that label, or even worse be liable to very expensive lawsuits. 

Now if the card is V90 one day and it stops working the next, thats a whole different matter. 

Reality is not black and white (in a manner of speaking). Plus I think you live in a bubble that does not include certain countries. You guys lost the argument with the V2 release, mind as well go back to relaying actual performance with the actual cards you have.