Shooting 4K 60P RAW and 4K 120P Run and Gun: FS700R + Shogun Inferno

markr041

Run and gun means one can carry around a camera with no rigs, poles, tripods or other aids shooting handheld, for hours. The FS700R needs the 7" Shogun Inferno attached by wire to shoot 4K60P and 120P RAW. Can this combo be used for run and gun?

Well, if you think of the Shogun not as a monitor but as just an external recorder, then you can just put it in a shoulder bag. Convergent Design makes a very thin and flexible (you can tie it in knots they show) 3' SDI cable. So carry the recorder in a shoulder bag and shoot with the camera. The cable is so thin and flexible and long, it is as if it is not there (SDI cables also have more secure attachments than HDMI cables; no danger of the wire coming loose).

To test this, I went to shoot the local chickens, in slo mo 4K. Cinematic chickens. Inferno in the shoulder bag, me, the camera and Zeiss 2470 FE OSS lens.

From ProRes 422 HQ Slog2.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The cable. From ConvergentDesign:

"The Odyssey Ultra-Thin SDI Cable is a flexible and lightweight cable for use with the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q [obviously any SDI 3G recorder]. The SDI cable is rated for 3G signals and is useful in camera-mounted installations where its thinness and flexibility will help keep it out of the way for operators. Despite its small size, the SDI Cable is quite rugged and can even be tied in knots without effecting performance. Standard length is 36” with custom lengths available on special order."

As you can see from my picture posted above, the cable is very thin , it has the usual BNC locks, so it does not get loose. And it is indeed very flexible and light, so it truly does not interfere with moving the camera around given the 3-foot length and the fact that the recorder is close by hanging on one's body.

Heat. The Atomos does get very hot. The latest firmware: "Adjusted Temperature Control thresholds for non ventilated environments." seems to expect use like this.

In 1.5 hours of shooting in 86-degree Fahrenheit temperature with the Inferno never turned off and in the bag there were no issues. I got hot too.