GH5 Speed Booster or Not for Kowa 8z 16h

andycorleone

I just bought a Kowa 8z and I'm trying to decided if I should do the Speed Booster Route or not for my GH5.

The two option I thinking are:

a) Sigma 30mm F1.8 and Sigma 60mm F2.8 with the Kowa 8z

b)Speedboster XL 0.64 + Nikon 50mm F1.4 and Nikon 85mm F1.4 with Kowa 8z

Do you think there is a Huge different in the DOP and Quality of the Final footage?  

The only thing I own is the Kowa and the GH5. so I need to buy the rest

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You may still get a little vignette with the XL and Nikon 50mm.

I think the quality with the speed booster is much better imo. I use canon L series and nFD with the XL on GH5 and the look is noticably different than without (if you're after that shallower DOF especially in wides with less distortion). I love how 24mm f2 looks on the XL. Having the SB means you can stop down a little for sharpness and still have a good amount of light transmission. Obviously this isn't always what you want, but when you do it's pretty helpful.

I guess it depends on you priorities. Both combo's give you roughly the same field of view, both are sharp. The Nikons + SB will give you al lot more light and more shallow DOF. But they will be a quite lot more expensive, and the whole package will be significantly larger/longer/heavier than when using the Sigma lenses.

(BTW, the Kowa needs to be well aligned to be able to perform at wide open apertures, see Tito's video on the sharpness fix).