Which "De-Video" filter?

Jonesy Jones

I've got the GH5 and Lumix 12-35. Love it. But we all know there is a distinct video look, and I'd like to minimize it. 

I'd start with the lens, but right now I just can't afford that (unless I go with inexpensive FD lenses?).

I have 0 first hand experience with the filters I'm looking into. Promist. Low con. Digital diffusion. 

I'm obviously going for something less digital and more filmic, whatever that means. 

Maybe I should just buy a bunch and test and return the ones I don't like.

Could you point me in the right direction?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Tiffen used to do a piece of editing software/plug in that simulated all of their filters but its now discontinued.

I used to have a demo version of it and the annoying thing is that I saw it being sold off quite cheap (£50) at a camera store in London a few months ago and thought I'd pick a copy up but they didn't have any left.

Might be worth a scour on eBay for it as its sounds like exactly what you could do with to try different combos

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845319-REG/Tiffen_DFXPCSV3_DFX_V3_PLUG_IN_FOR_PHOTO_SHOP_LIGTROOM_APERTURE.html

14 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I've got the GH5 and Lumix 12-35. Love it. But we all know there is a distinct video look, and I'd like to minimize it. 

I'd start with the lens, but right now I just can't afford that (unless I go with inexpensive FD lenses?).

I have 0 first hand experience with the filters I'm looking into. Promist. Low con. Digital diffusion. 

I'm obviously going for something less digital and more filmic, whatever that means. 

Can you define this 'distinct video look'?

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Tiffen used to do a piece of editing software/plug in that simulated all of their filters but its now discontinued.

I know the exact software you are referring to. Looked interesting when I saw it. But I'm looking for something before post. Right now I use Filmconvert which helps de-digitize a bit.

14 hours ago, Bizz said:

Check these videos:

https://vimeo.com/kidzrevil

They're from a user of this forum Kidzrevil. He uses tiffen filters (black pro mists and black satins) on his G80 and the image looks great. Check the Lenses thread also, it has some examples of it. 

I think thats what youre looking for.

Yes. Good stuff. Exactly the kind of leads I was looking for. I'll check out his videos. I'm in an area with such bad service that I haven't been able to watch those at the moment. but will later today. 

8 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Search this forum for a thread called Tiffen Ultra Contrast. 

I remember that thread. Did you end up liking the low con filters? Or did you go a different direction?

50 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Can you define this 'distinct video look'?

No. But I can recognize it. 

37 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

People are probably sick of me recommending this, but definitely check out Tiffen Digital Diffusion FX 2. It takes the edge off without blooming highllights like the Pro Mist filters.

I was actually hoping you'd jump into the thread with this exact suggestion. I only know about this filter because of you. However, could you point me to a video that used that filter? Other than the Tiffen one. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I know the exact software you are referring to. Looked interesting when I saw it. But I'm looking for something before post. Right now I use Filmconvert which helps de-digitize a bit.

Sorry, I just meant as a way of appraising all of the filter effects and combinations before having to buy the physical versions ;) 

Found the link to the software in the shop if anyone is interested in buying it online (they must have taken them off display)

https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/tiffen-dfx-v3.html

19 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I have a set of FD lenses on my G7 and love them. kidzrevil has posted some gorgeous stuff shot with pre-Ai Nikon lenses + diffusion filters.

13 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I was actually hoping you'd jump into the thread with this exact suggestion. I only know about this filter because of you. However, could you point me to a video that used that filter? Other than the Tiffen one. 

I have the GH5 and 12-35, I could do a quick A/B test tomorrow. Otherwise I have a few examples used on the UM46k but there’s no “before/after”.

I haven't got any of these filters yet, but from what I've shot myself, I think you're going to want to be cautious with them, as not every lens or every situation will require diffusion filters. For example, shooting ridiculously tight with the Olympus  75mm f/1.8 and ETC enabled on the GH5, even at wide apertures, the images were too sharp, whereas I find the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 is just fine with similar settings. The Leica 12mm f/1.4 could also benefit from some filtration. On the other hand, I sort of like the Sergio Leone look, where you can count every pore on the actors' faces, but if I were shooting weddings, or wanted to flatter a talent's appearance, I'd definitely consider picking some of these up.

On 9/17/2017 at 10:30 PM, AaronChicago said:

I have the GH5 and 12-35, I could do a quick A/B test tomorrow. Otherwise I have a few examples used on the UM46k but there’s no “before/after”.

This would be great. But if it's too much hassle don't worry about it. I think I'm going to order a few and run some tests. 

On 9/17/2017 at 10:48 PM, jonpais said:

ETC enabled

Jon, what is ETC? 

On 9/17/2017 at 10:48 PM, jonpais said:

On the other hand, I sort of like the Sergio Leone look, where you can count every pore on the actors' faces, but if I were shooting weddings, or wanted to flatter a talent's appearance, I'd definitely consider picking some of these up.

I like that look too. However, with the GH5 it goes beyond that to sharpening that looks videoish. I am hoping that these filters help take the edge off a tad, but leave the detail. 

I'm not sure what the GH5 has going on under the hood, but my impression is that in order to avoid noise and moire they process the image in less than ideal ways. 

26 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

This would be great. But if it's too much hassle don't worry about it. I think I'm going to order a few and run some tests. 

Jon, what is ETC? 

I like that look too. However, with the GH5 it goes beyond that to sharpening that looks videoish. I am hoping that these filters help take the edge off a tad, but leave the detail. 

I'm not sure what the GH5 has going on under the hood, but my impression is that in order to avoid noise and moire they process the image in less than ideal ways. 

ETC stands for extra tele conversion, which in 4K gives you a 1.4x crop with no visible degradation of image quality, effectively doubling the number of lenses in your collection. I just posted a sample in 'lenses', where the Laowa 7.5mm does double duty as a 10.5mm. 

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

ETCstands for extra tele conversion, which in 4K gives you a 1.4x crop with no visible degradation of image quality, effectively doubling the number of lenses in your collection. I just posted a sample in 'lenses', where the Laowa 7.5mm does double duty as a 10.5mm. 

Man, this camera keeps getting better. And it's embarrassing I didn't know this already. 

12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Only on stills but I just did a quick shot for you using the Tiffen Digital Diffusion FX 2

Frame and crop without filter on left side and same with filter on right.

Digital Diffusion Comp.jpg

Wow. Thanks bro. Got to be honest, the FX2 looks a little much. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

Great example above @BTM_Pix

@Jonesy Jones Maybe try 1 and 2. I prefer 2 for anything under 35mm. 1 does really well for 50mm and up.

I've got a shoot today where I can do a quick A/B on a subject.

Yeah, that was on a Sigma DP3M which is 75mm equivalent and the 2 does feel a bit too much on that.