First Footage From EVA1

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To my still immature eye the colors are fabulous. Skin and, whatever, look awesome. 

What I am discovering is that the feel we generally like has to do with flaws, not with perfection. My favorite singers and bands are not flawless. They have just the right amount of imperfections. Same with art. And maybe same with the quality of film that we attribute cinematic. 

Perhaps the EVA1 is just a little too good. Maybe its our job to introduce imperfections using lenses, filters, lighting, set, post and CC, etc. 

Or maybe that's nonsense. Perhaps recording raw externally will help? 

As is, the EVA1 out of the box is beautiful and tremendously useful for commercial and doc use. I'd love to see what adding some less pristine elements does to the footage.

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I started this thread as some might have missed it where I originally posted it, as the topic is not really for footage. So what do you all think? Any good? Is it "cinematic"? Color? Dynamic range? Noise?

Looks like the camera is capable of nice skintones - it certainly doesn't have the lovely Varicam motion cadence going on, which is expected at this price range. 

I'm a bit disappointed that the filmmaker overexposed some parts and the apparent roll off sometimes seemed a bit harsh. In that respect it's so hard to judge the quality of the camera from just a small little video on Youtube. 

It's good to see some better shots being pulled off in these launch films - 99% of other camera launch films are that poor, I don't know why they bother releasing them. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

it certainly doesn't have the lovely Varicam motion cadence going on, which is expected at this price range.

I don't mean to disrespect your opinion, because I definitely respect it, but you said the same thing about the UM46 motion. I owned that cam for a while, honestly, it produced the best footage I've ever shot or edited personally. EDIT: Not trying to call you out or anything like that Oliver. I'm only suggesting that our first, limited impressions may not be super accurate. And I'm hoping yours aren't. :)  I'd like this camera to be great.

The more I watch the above, the more I like it. To each his own though. These are just my first initial impressions.

Interesting comments regarding noise. I have concerns over the noise levels. I don't feel this is quite as noise free as I had hoped. I honestly think the C200 might have less noise or perhaps at least have more organic noise. This feels modern, but I would not say it feels videoish. I actually like the image. If I buy this camera it would be for better lowlight performance, but I am not sure that particular box has been checked. 

I am very curious to see what can be accomplished with the version 2.0 GH5 firmware. Hopefully, this will prove to be great in lowlight and thereby create a valid low-cost option to both.

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

we generally like has to do with flaws, not with perfection.

I often watch YouTube videos @360 rez.  I swear it looks better sometimes.

Isn't that the way these days?  Creators craft something pristine and guys like me at the end of the line blow it all up.

OTOH, I'd feel relieved to yell at certain manufacturing engineers.  You know the ones.  The dudes that enable frame interpolation as the default setting on their TV's. 

Oh, the irony.

As for the EVA, it's great.

Hi All,

let me introduce myself, I'm a professional photographer and film director, been working for the last 20 years and assisted before.

I come from film, some of our video productions were shot indie, some with proper budget and some in super35 film.

Few opinions about the eva-1 footage. I was expecting more, and if this is not the final product they should have waited a little bit more to show footage.

In specifics, the DP either messed up the exposure (hard to believe as it's a panasonic infomercial) or the camera, when exposed to the right, has a bad response on shadows?

Otherwise it would not make any sense having those almost clipped highlights. Unless that's the way this camera handle the DR on the highlights.

I feel that all pros and movie lovers that in order, want a cool toy to experiment or a tool to be able to properly start into visual story telling, need a machine that handle well highlights and deliver a motion that resemble film. 

If documentary/occasional narrative is the goal, then the c300MKII, or the newly c200 (fantastic raw footage, great toy) it's the best choice.

We can all agree that the reference camera for narrative is the Alexa (not a fan of Red even if dragon is better than the past). In fact I was having this conversation with my DP, and good friend, who helped Arri in the Alexa development from the d21.

The conversation was about the fact that very few cameras produce a footage that resemble film, the makers seems not to get, or care, that highlights handling and motion should be the priority.  

This camera, in this first clip, seems to fail to give that organic (as they call it in all this forums) look necessary to recall 35 or super 16. 

The last little camera that was delivering that feel i played with was the little black magic pocket, it felt like going back to the sr3 years on 500 film.

I was more impressed by the flexibility of the c200 raw footage. You can edit in mp4 and then proxy the raw footage.

About the eva, they probably don't want to kill the LT market which is barely 6k more expensive, but a real pro level camera.

Have a great weekend all,

Best

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I don't mean to disrespect your opinion, because I definitely respect it, but you said the same thing about the UM46 motion. I owned that cam for a while, honestly, it produced the best footage I've ever shot or edited personally. EDIT: Not trying to call you out or anything like that Oliver. I'm only suggesting that our first, limited impressions may not be super accurate. And I'm hoping yours aren't. :)  I'd like this camera to be great.

The more I watch the above, the more I like it. To each his own though. These are just my first initial impressions.

No worries, it's an opinion based on an average launch film. 

I can't remember what I said about the Ursa Mini 4.6 (a camera that has a brilliant image). I'd say now that it's slightly less organic than the original BM cams - but i think that's got something to do with the higher resolution making it look a bit more "real". 

Back to the EVA1 - I've always wanted Panasonic to bring this out. I'm sure it will be an awesome cam. I've very unscientifically analysed with my tired eyes that the launch film displays an in-between GH5 to Varicam interpolation / cadence / whatever it's called. Expected right? 

Panasonic is now claiming 12 Bit RAW 5.7K output to Odyssey and Shogun using 6G-SDI output to CDNG files (up to 30fps) available in early 2018:

I believe that if you already have an Odyssey RAW package, it will be included. I'm not sure if it's a free firmware upgrade on the Panasonic side of things.

No mention of file sizes, but if previous experience with Odyssey and 4K RAW is any indication, they will be huge! I'm guessing around 400-500 MB/S or larger given the 17.25 megapixel sensor.

8 hours ago, Snowfun said:

It must an interesting and stressful job for the person (committee?) who makes the final decision that all this promo footage is good enough to be released into the public domain. 

Having watched so many camera releases now, it seems like such a thankless job, haha. No matter what, people will complain and you certainly can't please everyone. Not a job I would want.

That said, footage looks really good to me. 

It'd be neat if more tests included a wide range of camera brackets shooting the exact same scene. Like, I'd love to see how this very scene looks on a GH5 compared to the EVA. 

And of course it'll be interesting to hear reports on the ergonomics and what it's like to work with. That'll help determine whether it's worth 7K or not.