Good cinematic examples using Sony A7S/A7R

Lorian

Hi everyone, first post here.

I'm looking over the internet for some cinematic examples (commercials, documentary, narrative, wild life, short films, whatever...) using the A7S and the A7R. Anyone knows some good examples? At least for me that "cinematic" look comes in first place from lenses, lights and color grading, and then from the camera, so thats why I'm searching for this kind of examples, because I want to pair a A7S/R with some Leica R glass.

I was looking for the GH5 first, but the Sony is by far more popular in my kind of jobs, so by now it's not an option.

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@kidzrevil

Great video...You really have a specific, unique own style of shooting and grading. Just some questions:

A. It seems, the shots were mostly handheld? If so, you have quite steady hands...
B. You still own the A7S, or have you sold it?
C. Do / did you generally like the A7S (IQ, ergonomics, handling, general feeling, etc.)? (I've read in your video posting, you didn't like the in-camera sharpening...)

And here's some totally absolute ridiculous answer to Lorian.

Here's one of my first videos ever, i've started shooting with original a7s and all of examples here was shot in 1080p (or even 720p). All of that was shot very run-n-gun style, handheld, no lighting, with very basic knowledge of production:

and something like that u never be able to shoot with gh5 (very dim conditions):

There's more examples on my vimeo chanell include my very first video with a7s) Heres my advice: keep in mind that its you who create a look not a tools; otherwise ull end up being really ridiculous)

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

Totally, absolutely, ridiculous post. Welcome to the forums, Lorian!

What's wrong with you angry old man? The other users replied with nice and good examples, and you? Take care of your heart, don't be that old angry guy.

Thanks everyone for that awesome examples, it's always nice to check and share nice works. What im looking here is nice examples to share with my team and take references for color grading for this camera models. 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

Totally, absolutely, ridiculous post. Welcome to the forums, Lorian!

You know whats really ridiculous? Judging person for his personal choice of tool in here and saying something like "A camera's just a tool, whether film or digital. One is not inherently superior to the other" at neighbor topic. Oh wait... thats not "ridicilous", theres other word for it.

36 minutes ago, Lorian said:

What's wrong with you angry old man?

i suppose he's roleplaying some tough sheriff type here. To give a newcomer some idea of his [ newcomers ] place in here)

"You are just crossed the wrong street cowboy"  some subjects is strongly overprotected here. Personally i was already banned here for criticism of another overprotected object, so be ready to prepare a new email, stranger)

Back to subj: i've used a7s for years and absolutely love it since i was spending a lot of time when sun is already gone) i planned to upgrade to second version, mainly because i liked 1080p 120fps so much: u really can use it in many situations because u can get exposure even at 1/250 pushing iso higher than any camera can. But i havent enough money so i switched to other brand. And still not a gh5 even im principally shooting in anamorphic )

4 hours ago, Arikhan said:

@kidzrevil

Great video...You really have a specific, unique own style of shooting and grading. Just some questions:

A. It seems, the shots were mostly handheld? If so, you have quite steady hands...
B. You still own the A7S, or have you sold it?
C. Do / did you generally like the A7S (IQ, ergonomics, handling, general feeling, etc.)? (I've read in your video posting, you didn't like the in-camera sharpening...)

Thank you ! Every shot was handheld ! I have really steady hands but the vertical grip was essential to me in terms of ergonomics. I sold my a7s because of the blue channel clipping with artificial lights in concerts/clubs & neon signs. I was told a cure for this was to shoot at a very warm color temperature but it was a deal breaker for me (at the time). I am considering getting an a7sii or a6500 because the low light performance is valuable to me for shooting in NY at night. As far as the in camera sharpness is concerned there are ways to tame if by using diffusion and -7 detail settings.

I hope this helps, the a7s is really versatile. I would avoid the a7r though

1 hour ago, Lorian said:

What's wrong with you angry old man? The other users replied with nice and good examples, and you? Take care of your heart, don't be that old angry guy.

Thanks everyone for that awesome examples, it's always nice to check and share nice works. What im looking here is nice examples to share with my team and take references for color grading for this camera models. 

Thanks!

Not a great response by him, but do not take it too personal as missteps occur. Some older people can get grumpy or impatient at times with youngsters who they feel should do a little research on their own first (google, youtube, vimeo and this forum's search engine). Sometimes younger people are also impatient with older people who maybe don't frequently use or understand new ideas, technologies and trend directions as well. Maybe and hopefully, a different approach in response can be considered in the future instead. On can never stop learning and this forum as a whole has more people willing to offer advice than not.

7 minutes ago, Nrubloc said:

Not a great response by him, but do not take it to personal as missteps occur. Some older people can get grumpy or impatient at times with youngsters who they feel should do a little research on their own first (google, youtube, vimeo and this forum's search engine). Sometimes younger people are also impatient with older people who maybe don't frequently use or understand new ideas, technologies and trend directions as well. Maybe and hopefully, a different approach in response can be considered in the future instead. On can never stop learning and this forum as a whole, has more people willing to offer advice than not.

I'm not attacking him because his age, my answer was for his reply, the reply sounds like an old grumpy man just putting words without any sense, just for trying to be grumpy. I respect and work with a lot of people older than me, and no one ever answer me like this guy. I even asked the same question to some directors and DPs and helped me a lot with a nice and kind approach. Let's finish this here, please.

Also, of course I can do some Youtube/Vimeo search, BUT if I'm asking here is because I want to know the opinion of the people around here. I'm looking for "curated" content by users of this forum, people who makes videos and have nice opinions. For me at least this is a nice and different approach to just "looking on youtube".

19 hours ago, Lorian said:

Hi everyone, first post here.

I'm looking over the internet for some cinematic examples (commercials, documentary, narrative, wild life, short films, whatever...) using the A7S and the A7R. Anyone knows some good examples? At least for me that "cinematic" look comes in first place from lenses, lights and color grading, and then from the camera, so thats why I'm searching for this kind of examples, because I want to pair a A7S/R with some Leica R glass.

I was looking for the GH5 first, but the Sony is by far more popular in my kind of jobs, so by now it's not an option.

Thanks in advance.

Are you considering the A7SII/A7RII as well or only the first versions A7S/A7R? I think the color science and options were improved on the second versions plus they do have sensor stabilization that one could use in a pinch.

8 minutes ago, Nrubloc said:

Are you considering the A7SII/A7RII as well or only the first versions A7S/A7R? I think the color science and options were improved on the second versions plus they do have sensor stabilization that one could use in a pinch.

Im between the A7S + Atomos Shogun (and then upgrade to the A7S III when it comes out. Or the A7S II without shogun. Im more tempted to go first with the first version (shogun + camera body its cheaper) and then upgrade, since I think the mark III it's coming out soon.

A cinematic image is the combination of a lot of things, 

But between a a7s2 and a a7r2 , I would get the a7r2 ( I had both, I kept the a7r2) Full frame mode is good on the a7r2 and have less rolling shutter than the a7s2, colors are great if you know what you are doing with Slog2 .... and autofocus is super useful, much better than the a7s2, now I shoot my video with it all the time, it save you a 1st AC in most case.

I would consider autofocus glass over manual glass if you invest in sony. 
If you are not in a hurry I would wait a bit, a A7III might also be very good in video if it get the A9 sensor and autofocus system.

That some location scouting I shot with a7r2 + 35mm 2.8 in slog2 + grading.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgmgxhkood9tytl/newturn_test.mov?dl=0