iphone X for video - GO PRO killer? H.265 recording - slo mo 1080p up to 240 FPS - is this a go pro killer?

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just wanted to say that I look forward to the day when the bigger mobiles phones will feature a 50mm, 24mm and 16mm prime camera modules giving us a good "standard zoom" = offering zooming or using them as primes exclusively. I doubt going for the 75, 50 and 24mm would make much sense, since the 70mm module would need a thick optics module.

9 hours ago, kaylee said:

? haaaa

hey whats the search term i need to find videos like this? theres one where theyre talking about vfx and "a fixed bid" that i love lol

haha, not sure, I came across it years ago, it was probably running the popular videos, it has over 16 million views, lol. Not sure how you'd go about finding the ones you remember. This didn't have any specific tags or description towards 'text to movie' or 'animated script', so I guess you'll just have to remember as much details as you can. 'htc evo vs iphone' was pretty much the title of this video, so I got lucky finding it again.

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

@Ed_David How could this camera, with all its razzle-dazzle, be useful for picking up a shot in the field? Could I insert it seamlessly into a video shot with the G85? And under what circumstances would I instinctively grab my iPhone rather than reaching for my GH5?

When you're out on vacation in Egypt, making your own Brandon Li-esque travel video. You pay the extra $50 to go inside the Great Pyramid. Then right before you go in, the security guy says, "I'll take that." and puts your GH5 on the shelf until you get back out. Then you'll be reaching for the ol' iPhone ;)

Source: Happened. But it was a GF-1 and an iPod touch. And, if I'm being totally honest, I wasn't even making a video.

10 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Just wanted to say that I look forward to the day when the bigger mobiles phones will feature a 50mm, 24mm and 16mm prime camera modules giving us a good "standard zoom" = offering zooming or using them as primes exclusively. I doubt going for the 75, 50 and 24mm would make much sense, since the 70mm module would need a thick optics module.

Just get this while waiting on a phone...

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/04/heres-first-81-megapixel-photo-light-l16-16-camera-camera/

• Super Members
10 hours ago, jagnje said:

oh sorry, I`m bad at counting to 10 I guess...8th post :)  I think that red hydrogen might offer something in that manner. Give me a S16 sensor and a mft mount on a phone and I`ll be all over that!

S16 sensor is already done. But no mft, it had a nice 28mm eq Leica lens.

11 hours ago, Damphousse said:

I've been following Light camera for a while. Too bad they didn't choose to make it a phone. If I am going to lug around a second device, it is definitely going to be an APS-C sensor.

On 9/15/2017 at 0:58 AM, jonpais said:

@Ed_David How could this camera, with all its razzle-dazzle, be useful for picking up a shot in the field? Could I insert it seamlessly into a video shot with the G85? And under what circumstances would I instinctively grab my iPhone rather than reaching for my GH5?

Excited to test the image quality out of it.

I don't think it will compete with a larger sensor like the GH5 that's optimized for still and video with V-log, but I mean, for a director on a shoot who wants to steal a shot of the sunset on the scout, and doesn't have a camera on their person, just a quick shot here and there.

For instance I did a short film with Matty Brown - and he added a bunch of picks up because he has a beautiful hyper-connectic style.  

Say he didn't have a small mirrorless or DSLR on him, and there was like a scene with tons of birds flying in the air, and the DP was changing glass or whatever, and he just whips it out of his pocket, it may be okay in the piece, since it is 23.98, maybe a good shutter speed, HEVC codec - it may cut.

It's exciting to me to think this.

There have been so many missed moments on sets because the crew is wrapped for time reasons that the director would love to grab.

I was on a construction site shoot this weekend where a perfect shot materialized suddenly after we had just packed up the camera for the day. I pulled out my iPhone 6s and recorded it in 4k 100mpbs with Filmic Pro. Add a little simulated motion blur in after effects and you are golden. I've cut in filmic pro iphone footage to videos before and no one has ever noticed. Great iPhone gimbals are $130 now. These kinds of situations are where I see a phone being useful for filmmaking. 

On 9/15/2017 at 2:42 PM, TARS said:

When you're out on vacation in Egypt, making your own Brandon Li-esque travel video. You pay the extra $50 to go inside the Great Pyramid. Then right before you go in, the security guy says, "I'll take that." and puts your GH5 on the shelf until you get back out. Then you'll be reaching for the ol' iPhone ;)

Source: Happened. But it was a GF-1 and an iPod touch. And, if I'm being totally honest, I wasn't even making a video.

Happened to me, I shoot a video on iPhone. 

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

iOS 11:

Camera: Photos and videos will take up half the space with the new HEIF and HEVC image and video formats.

Edit: I see now Ed already mentioned H265. ha

But only from iPhone 7 / iPad Pro 10.5 on wards unfortunately.
Yay, have the iPad Pro 9.7 and my work phone is a 6s. :astonished: