Who is excited for the new iPhone?

DBounce

Let me start by saying, I'm not a fan boy of any brand. I currently use a Google Pixel XL as my daily driver... I've owned Apple, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola etc... But after reading the leaked specs I am interested to see what the new phone from Apple will bring. Finally it will have an OLED screen. And it will almost certainly be a 10 bit HDR certified one. The camera will shoot 4k 60p. And the CPU should be the fastest in any phone. This should all add up to a compelling little device. I believe the official announcement is around 1pm EST. So we will know soon.

What are your thoughts? Are you curious to see what Apple brings? Do you think that the innovations we see in the new device will find their way into serious filmmaking tools?

Post your thoughts here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Having purchased the Hydrogen I'm trying to persuade myself that I really really don't want the new iPhone...

But I do and might take advantage of the upgrade option on my existing contract. It's the efficient & effective integration into an Apple ecosystem which has always been the most compelling feature for me.

No. I love my tiny iPhone 5. So cheap I dont care if I drop it or get wet. Just get new battery or screen when needed. If they made one the size of the iPod I would get one instantly, I love that slim design.

1 hour ago, Dave Del Real said:

Much more excited for the new 4K HDR AppleTV.

Is that confirmed? I havent been following this stuff but that would be a giant leap. And I assume a G7 wouldn't be able to provide content but the GH5's new upgraded codec would be good enough?

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Let me start by saying, I'm not a fan boy of any brand. I currently use a Google Pixel XL as my daily driver... I've owned Apple, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola etc... But after reading the leaked specs I am interested to see what the new phone from Apple will bring. Finally it will have an OLED screen. And it will almost certainly be a 10 bit HDR certified one. The camera will shoot 4k 60p. And the CPU should be the fastest in any phone. This should all add up to a compelling little device. I believe the official announcement is around 1pm EST. So we will know soon.

What are your thoughts? Are you curious to see what Apple brings? Do you think that the innovations we see in the new device will find their way into serious filmmaking tools?

Post your thoughts here.

Fastest until the next manufacturer releases their latest and greatest.

1 hour ago, Dave Del Real said:

Much more excited for the new 4K HDR AppleTV.

Why?

Honestly, IMO the S8 is a better looking phone.

Well the face tracking appears quite impressive. I could see that being handy for VFX. The camera appears to have the ability to do "portrait lighting". They claim this is not merely a filter, but actual real lighting effects that are applied in realtime. So you can have the look of an actual professional lighting setup, but all within the phone. I would be curious to test this out. And also, this would be amazing for video.

• Administrators

The dot projector that maps your face could be used for some interesting games and tech demos.

The camera has a nice bump on the X

The digital portrait lighting is very cool and something I wish all cameras would implement, especially for video!

The new processor and GPU I am sure is very good

I like it and good to finally catch up with Samsung, on the OLED front

Apple however are generally more boring than they used to be and lack charisma under Tim Cook. The products are still solid, but there's something missing. Personality?

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm excited about the one that is supposed to cost £1000 as it lessens the "how f***ing much? for a f***ing phone?!"impact from the other half when I tell her I'm ordering a RED Hydrogen 

I can't help but suspect the Hydrogen will be a gimmick. The iPhone is going to help drive some innovation, and I like that. Mobile moves much faster. Can't wait to see how Android answers the new iPhone.

I don't really see anything that justifies $1,000.  Unless I was buying this for work and deducting it from my taxes I don't see anything that would make me spend that much on a phone.  It is getting obscene.

I really need more information.  I am going to wait for the hands on reviews.

If I need an iphone app for work I may just get an iphone 7 plus if there is a good sale somewhere.

2 hours ago, tugela said:

Honestly, IMO the S8 is a better looking phone.

That was my first thought when I saw the iphone X.  I never really thought too much about the edge thing on the Samsung phones but they do make the iphone X look ancient.

I'm still holding on with an iPhone SE.  Wanted to be excited about this release, but honestly it's not very exciting at all.  The new camera features look okay.  Facial recognition and wireless charging offer marginal functional value at best.  Of the new models I'd probably just opt for the 8/64.

iOS11 looks pretty nice though. 

Personally I wouldn't update my phone until it starts chugging when trying to run apps (which will happen eventually as bloat follows the latest increases in processor speed). At that point upgrade to whatever is current. None of these phones introduce "must have" features nowdays, the product space is pretty mature IMO.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I can't help but suspect the Hydrogen will be a gimmick. The iPhone is going to help drive some innovation, and I like that. 

I know what you mean...

But....

The Hydrogen offers a medium for displaying holographic content. How much more innovation do you need driving than that ;)

Makes sense for those who go to Apple church.

Myself... now, I just don't share the same mentality and philosophy. Like, Windows isn't all that great from an OS perspective. But from the perspective of possibilities it's just not something I'm willing to give up on, there's just more I can do with the platform than I would with a Mac. Smartphones all the same. I like Android and you can set it up the way you see fit. Just, for a lot of people, that's too many options, it confuses them and scares 'em off. Instead they just want one ecosystem that's familiar, intuitive and pre-chewed spoonfed. I get that. But, that's just not me. I like choice. Speaking of which... where's your iPhone dualSIM options? Where's the microSD expandability? What if you want it equiped with a headphone port, etc. Atleast with Android there's many manufacturers and you can mix and match your wishes with devices that are availlable out there. And because of the competition out there prices have to be competitive too! Same for laptops and desktops... there's just much more choice and much fairer pricing going on.

But you know. There's a certain crowd that's just better off with a whole Mac ecosystem. I have no need to be an Apple hater. Just go and use whatever works for you. That's the most important thing, not what another person does, but what you do and you ending up being happy with that.

I don't know if anyone saw the presentation, but this guy went on and on about how absolutely amazing the face recognition was, how neither masks nor face models (clay/ silicone?) could fool it, how they had like 1 billion faces scanned etc etc.

And then he tried using his face to unlock the phone ... And it FAILED. Hahahahahahahahaha 

He went ahead and punched in a security code number in, and pretended nothing happened.

Just now, sanveer said:

I don't know if anyone saw the presentation, but this guy went on and on about how absolutely amazing the face recognition was, how neither masks nor face models (clay/ silicone?) could fool it, how they had like 1 billion faces scanned etc etc.

And then he tried using his face to unlock the phone ... And it FAILED. Hahahahahahahahaha 

He went ahead and punched in a security code number in, and pretended nothing happened.

What is even sadder is face recognition has been around on other phones and computers for ages along with wireless charging, 6+ inch screens, OLED, etc.

I'm not trying to bash apple but for $1,000 don't give me a grab bag of stuff that has been on phones for years and tell me it is "innovative".

I'm withholding final judgement until I see more in depth hands on reviews, but I can tell you right now a bunch of this stuff is already available on a ton of phones.