Leica Q, mind-blowing for stills

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Quite interesting to look at the unprocessed DNG raw image from this camera...

The JPEGs are 6000x4000 from a 24MP sensor.

The raws are actually 6015x4015 and the lens seems a bit wider than 28mm.

Here it is in Affinity Photo without the in-camera distortion correction -

L1160128 copy.jpg

Here is my same shot graded in Adobe Camera Raw which has the distortion correction map applied by default -

L1160128.jpg

This is a big departure for Leica who have been vehemently against digital correction of their optics.

Another clear sign of Panasonic's influence in the Q.

When the digital correction works this well, I don't give a crap what the optics are doing!

Wow.  Looks great!  

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

There is absolutely nothing in that article that says he is a scientologist. I just posted a question how it affects images because I thought maybe he is. But now I'm taking it back.

Show some proof please.

That article was just some bitter and jealous communist.

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

There is absolutely nothing in that article that says he is a scientologist. I just posted a question how it affects images because I thought maybe he is. But now I'm taking it back.

Show some proof please.

http://www.scientologynews.org/press-releases/meet-a-scientologist-thorsten-overgaard.html

• Administrators

The thing with scientology is it isn't actually a religion, it's a cult and a money making ploy.

So the usual rules of not judging somebody by their religion doesn't apply to scientologists.

I instantly distrust them.

Watch the Louix Theroux documentary on it... very good and illuminating.

• Super Members
56 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Still don't see what it has to do with anything but ok.

It has everything to do with the comment - from someone else - that I was actually replying to in the first place, which related to the person rather than the lenses.

I don't find him personally relatable.

Just as I wouldn't if he was an alleged jealous communist.

If it helps, I find him lens relatable.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Watch the Louix Theroux documentary on it... very good and illuminating.

Ive seen it, its great. Ive seen all his films many times.
But imho, Scientology, catholic church, tomato, tomato. 
Like I said, I never understood it. A person believing in that alien scientology BS isn't any less trustworthy on cameras to me than one that believe in Jesus "The Spaghetti Monster" Christ.
I look at the images in this life and forget about the photographers after life beliefs :)

Speaking of religious believes, cults and Leica Colors...
This guy was spreading the lords word (JW) when I past him holding my Leica X1 today.
Didn't have a fast enough shutter for him to be sharp, but the colors are there.
(And it is a helluva sharp lens.)

Its from the Kodak era when all digital camera manufacturers where still trying to match and look like film.
Good times :)

mamiyaf8stor-47.jpg

Personally I'd take the A7rII/Batis 25 over the Q. I like the rendering of the RX1rII better too, but that's a personal thing. I spent some time playing with the Q in Tokyo and Hong Kong, AF-c and eye AF is far superior in the Sony. Plus there's video, better DR in the Sony and so on...

I'm not a red-dot hater at all, I've owned a few R lenses including a 28, 35, 50 and the 35-70/4 is one of my all-time favorite lenses for video.

I just didn't find anything particularly special about the Q other than its size and feel in hand - which I did like. 

36 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Some will buy the Q over the Sony just for the leafshutter.

I can definitely relate to that. The shutter sound of the A7* series is even worse than their ergonomics. If Q wasn't double the price of the A7rII I might have given it a try, cause as nice as the files from the A7rii might be, shooting is no fun. 

But for a similar shooting experience to the Q, I believe the X-E3 with the 23mm f/2 might be a good alternative for those on budget. 

17 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Aliens, jesus, santa, same thing

tell that to David Miscavige's wife ? im p close to gold base rn they own the road out front ?

not that the pope doesnt have a secret prison... im sure he does, but at least it doesnt cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to be a catholic

17 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

scary

sounds like this guy has a p good life, way better than being a slave with a billion year contract

/shifting gears, a Leica Q to me is like a rolls royce: theres a reason that you pay a huge premium for a hand made bmw, its another level of craftsmanship, design, and yes, luxury

ive never shot w one but id love to. when im rich ill DEFINITELY buy one lol

• Super Members
38 minutes ago, kaylee said:

not that the pope doesnt have a secret prison... im sure he does, but at least it doesnt cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to be a catholic

No it just costs the ability to sleep over promoting sexual assaults on kids.

But honestly, I don't want to have this discussion because its just going to go nowhere fast.

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

If Q wasn't double the price of the A7rII I might have given it a try, cause as nice as the files from the A7rii might be, shooting is no fun. 

If I could ever find an A7rii that cheap I would give it a go. Ive only seen them for more than a used Q costs. And thats body only.