My BMPCC arrived yesterday!

Riadnasla

So while I'm out on a gig yesterday my wife sends me a pic of 3 boxes. Obviously I was excited! So first thing I do when I get home is get rid of the shipping bulk, right? Not at all excited about my new BMPCC, a 14mm f2.5 asph lens, and my Pebble Time watch. 

Then I did the responsible thing and finished working on a Toyota spot I'm editing, and by time that was done I was looking at 2130h. Ho boy. But y'know, I've been really excited about having a portable camera, and to hell with it, I'm going to film something! Wife and screaming kid wanted to come, so we all headed to a nearby tourist trap. 

Colour Version: 

B&W Version: 

Personally, I like the B&W better, but my wife argues for the colour version. 

Things I learned with this test:

1) It definitely keeps the info in RAW, but man do I never want to touch 1600iso ever again!

2) The 14mm isn't the best cinematic choice due to the amount of reflections it has in the lens flares. 

3) Shakycam is very real with this camera, even with using my tripod as mono- and bi-pod. 

Can't wait to shoot more projects with it, hopefully with more planning and light involved!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

This camera has detail to spare. I upscale to 4k upload to YouTube it looks much better at all rezes  

And I was cruising the BMCuser forms and there is some discussion about the black art of shooting low light some say shoot raw @ 400 in  low light and there is room to bring it back in resolve if you import it right. I tried it with my bedroom w/ Canon FD 1.4 and it did look pretty good

On 9/27/2017 at 3:19 PM, Juxx989 said:

This camera has detail to spare. I upscale to 4k upload to YouTube it looks much better at all rezes  

And I was cruising the BMCuser forms and there is some discussion about the black art of shooting low light some say shoot raw @ 400 in  low light and there is room to bring it back in resolve if you import it right. I tried it with my bedroom w/ Canon FD 1.4 and it did look pretty good

Interesting... would love to see a screengrab if you have one?

22 hours ago, mercer said:

Interesting... would love to see a screengrab if you have one?

No screen grab its buried somewhere in the nether realms of one of my hard drives and quite uncompelling 

"Dynamic range depends on the situation and your exposure, and whether you shoot raw or Prores.

Shooting raw, for normal as well as lower light/lower contrast situations I expose for ISO 400. In very low light you might even expose for ISO 200. By doing so, you basically assign more stops of the dynamic range to the left from middle grey, towards the shadows, and less to the right of middle grey, the highlights.

On the contrary, in bright sunlight for example you might want to expose for ISO 800, to have more stops of dynamic range right from middle grey to protect highlights.

I rarely shoot Prores so someone else might have an advice there."

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20634-Dynamic-Range-BMPCC&highlight=bmpcc+light

This is the thread

Enjoy! It's a fun camera, for sure. Amazing image. 

It's definitely got some usability issues. It took me buying an external battery, ND filter, IR Cut filter, and gimbal before I finally felt like it was a complete camera.