Canon 5D Mark III - 3.5K and 4K raw video with Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Everybody, how do you guys do 1920x800 60p? what settings are you using? I bought Andrew guide and tried to do it but I only get around 65 frames only, also in ML Web site they say full frame 1080p is continuos..

I want to do 1080p 60p full frame.

First I changed in Canon menu to 720p 60p ALL I

enable crop mode 1920 50/60 3x3 

raw video ON :  resolution 1920x800, aspect ratio 16:9,  data format 14 bit lossless

Preview Auto

use SRM Memory ON,, Small Hacks ON

shutter speed  1/130 (that i s the closest I get to 120 from ML Menu, in order to follow the 180 degree rule)

FPS override is OFF ( If I turn this one ON, the live view freezes)

with all these settings I got a few seconds only .....

and the Preview has a reduction in image quality and a very slow frame  rate

( the preview is not a big deal I understand how difficult is to get it, better something than nothing)

I sent this question to Andrew directly, he never answered , he might be busy, I don't know that is why I am asking in the forum , one of you guys can point me to the right settings/direction

Thanks in advace

Your settings are correct. Used them with my camera and got continuous recording. Aspect ratio was set to 2:1 but am sure this is not important.  It looks to me problem is with your CF card.  Had this result once when forgot to put the CF card and camera started to write on the SD card :)  So make sure:

1. You have the CF card selected in your camera. You have this in Canon menu, which card camera to use.

2. You have a really fast CF card, there are just few brands and cards that can sustain high writing speeds. Am sure you are aware of this.

Preview reduction of image quality and slow frame rate is normal. Magic Lantern may be able to fix it later but for now this is how it works in crop mode.

Hi Stephen thank you for your response, yes I have the CF card selected.

Hi Andrew, my CF Card  is a 64 gb Lexar 1066x

if I use crop mode , the 5x I can record without limit no problem, it is the full frame that stop after a few seconds...

other settings I have on : Global Draw ON, all modes                 Spot Meter Percent, AF box

could it be the build I am using??

Magic Lantern gives you feedback about the data rate before you start recording.
When you position the coursor on top of RAW module in Magic Lantern Menu it tells you at the bottom what is your data rate.
Am on PAL mode so on my camera with your settings it says in green letters:

69.8 MB/S at 50.000p (50%) Countinouos recording OK

When exiting the Magic Lantern menu then hitting the 5x button, then going back to Magic Lantern menu
and positioning the cursors on top of RAW module it says

43.2 MB/S at 29.776P Countinouos recording OK

So with x5 in this mode you are actually not recording 50/60p and your data rate drops significantly. 
Now if you are able to record at 43.2 MB/S but not at 69.8 MB/S, then this again points to a problem with the CF card.

It is a good one that should be able to record at rates close to 90 MB/S.
Mine is Lexar 128Gb 1066x same model, only different size. But guess what, my first Lexar was fake, could barely go to 45 MB/S and had to return it.

So do a benchmark of the card and confirm it can achieve 90mb/s which is normal for this card.

Stephen my CF Cards, I bought them from  b&h  I have two and I am sure they do not sale fake ones, I did full format of my CF card on my computer and tried the benchmark

Card Benchmark Quick R/W benchmark (1min) on both CF Cards and they give me 67mb/s...how come? slow that is the minimum data write.

I format them fat32, same result,  format them back to exfat, same results, both cf cards benchmark no more than 67mb/sec

2 hours ago, tigerbengal said:

Stephen my CF Cards, I bought them from  b&h  I have two and I am sure they do not sale fake ones, I did full format of my CF card on my computer and tried the benchmark

Card Benchmark Quick R/W benchmark (1min) on both CF Cards and they give me 67mb/s...how come? slow that is the minimum data write.

I format them fat32, same result,  format them back to exfat, same results, both cf cards benchmark no more than 67mb/sec

Yeah 67 seems slow. I was getting more that that with the 50D. With the same cards, from BH, I am getting between 85 and 98. 

Now you know exactly where the problem is. You've got bad CF cards. 
Have 3 different cards - Komputerbay, Transcend and Lexar. When benchmarking them on the camera Komputerbay gives me ~ 85Mb/S, Transcend 87Mb/S and Lexar 93Gb/S. It's the best one I have. 
Lexar was a reputable brand and BH is reputable dealer, how you ended with bad ones, we can only guess.
According to the specs on BH internet page for Lexar  64Gb CF 1066x,  Max. Write Speed is 155 MB/s. Your cards are far from those specs so you have a valid argument to return the cards.
You can ask for replacement from the same brand but different batch or choose SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO 64Gb/128Gb which is the other highly recommended card.

I'm very interested in this thread. I'm finding it educational (aside from the OT DR argument ) and using it to make decision on by buying a used 5Diii 
What would make this thread far better if there was regular milestone updates. 
Example: ML release x.xx now you can do live view low frame rate. Issues: AF is not working, over heating, etc. Cards that you can use: etc. etc. etc. 

@Andrew Reid thoughts? 

Mercer , thanks for sharing your experience with your cards.

Stephen Thank you very for helping me to find the root of the problem, the benchmark test was the key to find the issue with the CF cards.... the weird thing is that I have two Lexars CF cards , I didn't buy them at the same time , I am trying  to get a different brand and test my camera, could be a faulty Canon 5d Mark III?, I will let you know how this end.

8 hours ago, tigerbengal said:

Mercer , thanks for sharing your experience with your cards.

Stephen Thank you very for helping me to find the root of the problem, the benchmark test was the key to find the issue with the CF cards.... the weird thing is that I have two Lexars CF cards , I didn't buy them at the same time , I am trying  to get a different brand and test my camera, could be a faulty Canon 5d Mark III?, I will let you know how this end.

Hmm, I would buy another Lexar card and test it with global draw on and off. And then add and delete and see what you get.

@tigerbengal

It is very unlikely slow recording speeds  to be a camera problem. And easy to double check the performance of your CF cards. Plug them (one by one) in a USB3 port with a USB3 card reader and run Crystal Disk Mark. Here are my results for Lexar 1066x 128Gb with default settings in Crystal Disk Mark (5 and 1GiB). Card is formatted as FAT32

Read speed on     SEQ Q32T1     - 144.3 Mb/s
Read speed on     SEQ                  - 151.4 Mb/s
Write speed on     SEQ Q32T1     - 114.4 Mb/s
Write speed on     SEQ                  - 127.2 Mb/s

Stephen using Crystal Disk Mark here are my results from one CF Card

Read speed on     SEQ Q32T1     - 130.1 Mb/s
Read speed on     SEQ                  - 129.6 Mb/s
Write speed on     SEQ Q32T1     - 101.8 Mb/s
Write speed on     SEQ                  - 100.7 Mb/s

slooooooooow card, talking with Lexar customer support right now, asking me around 20 questions just to get a RMA number from them, still awaiting answers, slow response like the memory cards

Running ML benchmark of the same card in camera gives me 153Gb/s Read and between 117Mb/s and 120Mb/s Write which basically mirrors the Crystal Disk Mark test on the computer.  You get different rates for in camera tests. 100Mb/s external vs 67Mb/s internal.  Why such a difference ? Don't know. Maybe be you can still try different card ? Or just repeat the test several times. Some cards may need more time for warming and achieving maximum speed. It's strange but again doesn't seem to be the card, as thought initially based on your in camera benchmark results.