Shooting 5K on the Panasonic GH5 with the new 'Open Gate' mode

Andrew Reid

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Agree with fuzzy normal, but I could add that, although I've never seen an HDR panel, I have a suspicion that viewing a video shot in HLG with the GH5 on a 55" screen would blow away my X-T2. 

Yup, but then again, is that what one wants for whatever production they're doing?

Speaking for myself, I'm not a big fan of huge dynamic range in fictional narrative.  I'm a product of gritty 70's American cinema and I'm not afraid to admit that I think there's maybe TOO much "unthoughtful" resolution and dynamic range in modern productions.  

Hollywood comedies are the worst with this.  Boring lighting and cinematography with such a high resolution sheen one starts analyzing the uncanny valley flaws of the sound stage.  The visual info is just distracting. 

There's something to be said for deliberately obscuring what the audience sees in an image.  That opinion maybe puts me at odds with the majority of people out there, but so be it. 

However, I do think good dynamic range is perfectly fine for corporate video stuff, nature docs, --or even certain narrative fiction, I guess.  Depends.  It's a tool, you know?  

I mean, I can Ooo and Ahh with the best of them when watching pretty 60p 8K time lapse footage on huge monitors, but just visual stimulation ain't enough for me and pretty pictures gets old real fast without an appropriate story.

Eh, it's all subjective.  All of this is OT anyway, so I best shut-up.  Balance your decision on what matters to you, and you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 9 months later...
On 9/6/2017 at 5:53 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

Panasonic GH5 delivered... 

V-Log on the way....

Only had a brief 5 minutes handling the camera - this thing feels incredible in the hand.

Threw on the Olympus 40-150mm 2.8 (which is also an incredible lens), IBIS is great at 150mm. 

Looking forward to trying out all this groovy stuff on the way.....

Have the same lens and yeah the IBIS is amazing even at 150mm. I think it shows up as A2.0 on the camera.