Sometimes a Tripod gets me excited

Dave Maze

On 5.9.2017 at 11:15 AM, Axel said:

Meanwhile, I leave my lightweight ACE at home, frame my shot with gimbal or monopod and additionally apply >stabilization >tripod mode in post. This revolution comes too late for me. 

On 5.9.2017 at 1:48 PM, Jonatan said:

And you do diz how? Possible in Resolve?

I use FCP X, where tripod mode is available as an option in Inertiacam, but only after the analysis has found little camera movement like pans and tilts. In Resolve 14 it's in >Color >Tracker >Stabilizer >Camera Lock. Does not decide four you if there is too much camera movement, so very shaky shots will turn to RS-like jelly. Other than that (monopod or gimbal used) it will be indistinguishable from a tripod shot.

On 5.9.2017 at 1:48 PM, Jonatan said:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hmm... I'm at the point where I don't know if I'm ever going to upgrade my sticks again. For locked down interview stuff a tripod is a must, but a gimbal adds dimension to pans and tilts that makes the shots better visually IMO. With IBIS find and a gimbal I find myself using a tripod less and less all the time. Feels a little like this is 5 years too late.

3 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Hmm... I'm at the point where I don't know if I'm ever going to upgrade my sticks again. For locked down interview stuff a tripod is a must ...

Yeah, but framing a talking head should not take as long as stumbling through the wilderness and slipping over glaciers whilst trying to find the right height and angle to shoot a landscape. I wouldn't sell my old-fashioned tripod. 

6 hours ago, Axel said:

Yeah, but framing a talking head should not take as long as stumbling through the wilderness and slipping over glaciers whilst trying to find the right height and angle to shoot a landscape. I wouldn't sell my old-fashioned tripod. 

I'm not selling my tripod either, I do use it a lot. But I'm finding myself shooting less B-roll on the sticks these days, IBIS and a gimbal make the run-and-gun stuff easier for me. The tripod gets a lot of use shooting long exposures and time lapses. As always, YMMV.

Everything is a tool.

If your style dictates IBIS, gimbal moves and the such, great.

I remember a few years ago sliders was the thing, then drones, now gimbals, tomorrow IBIS (because it is not implemented on the bulk of the cameras out there, yet), in a week, maybe cranes controlled by your Samsung's S10+.

Everything is a tool, and can be used accordingly, and at the will of the creator,

but the tripod was the first, and probably will be the last filming tool.

Hopefully someone will be the pioneer here and buy this Sachtler, and live to tell the experience.

I was at B&H over the weekend and they have a few of the new Sachtler tripods on display with various heads. Its definitely a cool mechanism, just grab the top of the legs with your hands wrapped around them - and under the large levers - and you can drop the extensions to your desired height. Collapsing is even easier, just pop the levers and let gravity do its thing, then you just snap them down and you're off. The wide/flat legs are nice to throw over the shoulder, these would be much more forgiving if you have to lug them long distances.

I couldn't do any twist/flex tests outside of just gnashing around with it for a few minutes, but it felt solid. The guy behind the counter popped the newer Panasonic 4k camcorder with the see-through red plastic on one of the tripods and it was pretty nice. Its real easy to change heights or just to setup at interview height in a flash.

If I were in the market for new sticks, these would be at the top of my list. I just don't need new sticks but once every 10 years or so and have no reason to replace my current setup other than gear lust. For me lenses and lights have higher priority. But the ENG types that have to repeatedly deploy the sticks all day every day will love these.