Zoom H5 with 2 Rodelink wireless lavs

mojo43

I need help trying to input two Rodelink wireless lavs to the H5. I have tried to input with a 1/8" to 1/4" connector, but it comes in very low even with a +20db gain off of the rodelink. Does anyone run with this system or can tell me how I can do it please? Here are the links the the products that I am using:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&c3api=1876%2C72666235682%2C%2C&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0K7NBRC7ARIsAEaqLRH7apj7aT70QzJZhMBMkdTbWe7yVGo6U07o3adhebUhxORgLhupMskaAsLwEALw_wcB&is=REG&pcur=CAD&sku=1115091

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026852-REG/zoom_h5_handy_recorder.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was hoping somebody would respond, as I'm having the same problem getting enough volume from the Rodelink wireless system to anything, including a Zoom H6, a tascam Dr-2d and Panasonic G85 (and GH2).  I don't have problems with the other gear I have (Rode shotgun mics and some stereo cardioids with a preamp built for loud live music.

Hmm.. I use a rodelink with a gh4 and 5 frequently as well as into a zoom h1 and I find it actually to be hot most of the time. The only thing I can think based on the symptoms is that the h5 is looking for a line level and you are giving it a mic level. The zoom h1 is a pretty simple device that only has a mic in port, is your h5 expecting a line level in?

• 1 year later...

Hey there. I‘m using the same equipment and have the same problem. Any solution so far?

Setup:

Lav is connected to transmitter with +0db input.

Receiver is connected either to the XY-modules input or via XLR-adapter with +0db output.

I tried -20db Pads on the H5 on and off.

Sound is almost non-existend. Basically just noise and a very weak mic-signal. 

I tried with and without phantom power on the H5. I thought this might change the input from line to mic. (I recently recorded a dubbing session with a mic directly connected to the H5. Worked fine.) The input on the XY-module seems to switch automatically. It’s labeled with a mic/line-symbol.

When the Lav is connected directly to the XY-modules input it works fine. 

I see people using this setup (receiver plugged to recorder) with an H6. Is there anything I’m missing in the preferences? 

It feels like the H5 is misinterpreting the signal from the receiver as line-signal instead of a mic signal. 

Or should this really be one of the missing features in the H5?!?

I hope not. 

On 4/27/2019 at 8:18 PM, Matze said:

It feels like the H5 is misinterpreting the signal from the receiver as line-signal instead of a mic signal. 

This shouldn't be something the H5 does automatically, you should be setting this setting yourself. 

• 4 years later...

Hi there,

I'm sure this issue is long solved for this user by now - but just in case anyone else runs into this issue as I did:

The problem is the stereo signal the Rodelink outputs along with the connector cable. This can't be plugged directly into the mono inputs of the H5 (or H6 for that matter). I'm not good on the electronics aspects of it all but it's the tip signal and ring signal in the TRS connector interfering with one another due to their voltage offset. There's a Reddit post that explains it better but I don't want to link it here in case it's against message board rules (google "Zoom H6 TRS input is 1 channel and not 2 (stereo) reddit" and you'll find it).

The cause is academic in any case - the solution, just use a splitter cable (stereo to dual mono / TRS to dual TS) or 3.5mm TRS to XLR Adaptor (Rode make their own one specifically for this purpose).