Panasonic G7 Picture Profile Comparison

Matt Kieley

I wanted to see which Picture Profile on my G7 give the best skin tones, as well as the general differences of each one. All profiles are set to -5 Contrast, -5 Sharpness, -5 NR, -1 Saturation (except Vivid which is -2). The only grading is a contrast curve (I also added grain). Lens: Canon FD 28mm 2.8 w/ Focal Reducer (shot wide open). Shot in 4K, 500iso, 3200k color temp.

CinelikeD seems to yield the flattest image and maybe the most dynamic range, and it's the profile I've used the most for that reason, until now. I kinda think CinelikeV might have better skin tones. Aside from Vivid and Monochrome, most of the others barely look any different from each other. All of this is subjective of course, but I thought other G7 uses might be interested.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, mercer said:

Looking good, Matt. I liked the first shot the best. They all look good though and I would say you are nailing a very filmic look with Panasonic cameras. My only suggestion is... make a movie now. Or get a G85 for IBIS and then make a movie asap. 

I shot a 25 minute short this summer (Sony a6300). It's in the ADR/VFX/Scoring stage right now, so that's been taking up most of my attention, aside from my editing/filming work that pays the bills. But I definitely want to shoot at least a little 5 minute narrative short on the G7 soon.

Damn 25 minutes? How is it turning out? Btw, I still haven't had the opportunity to watch your film yet, but it's on my list now that summer is winding down. I admire that you use every camera you test in a short. I tested so many cameras this past year, looking for a specific look, but I wish I had followed your lead. Which camera has been your favorite so far?

I intended on making a 10 minute short this summer and I am sitting on about 30 minutes of usable footage and I still have half the story to shoot. So now I'm stuck with either cutting a bunch of good footage or expanding the story into a short feature... I guess there are worse problems to have.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Damn 25 minutes? How is it turning out? Btw, I still haven't had the opportunity to watch your film yet, but it's on my list now that summer is winding down. I admire that you use every camera you test in a short. I tested so many cameras this past year, looking for a specific look, but I wish I had followed your lead. Which camera has been your favorite so far?

I intended on making a 10 minute short this summer and I am sitting on about 30 minutes of usable footage and I still have half the story to shoot. So now I'm stuck with either cutting a bunch of good footage or expanding the story into a short feature... I guess there are worse problems to have.

Yeah, it's my "big" and "serious" project this year and will actually be submitted to film festivals. I like to shoot an actual short to test a camera so I can actually get a realistic idea of how footage will look when actually lit and shot the way I do. It's a good way to put it through it's paces in a real shooting situation, when you don't have time to overthink the lighting and camera placement/movement as you might when shooting test footage.

Of all the cameras, I think the G7 is the one I love the most. I can get great footage out of it, and I can use it without rigging it up (the monitor is the best built-in monitor I've used on a DSLR/Mirrorless camera--I can always nail focus with it) and it feels good in my hand (not too chunky for me as it is to others). The a6300 Slog2 footage was a joy to grade, with a nice amount of DR, but you can get ugly chroma noise in underexposed areas and the monitor sucks (I almost never shoot without an external monitor with it). I rebought the Canon EOS M again recently because the Canon color always tricks me into buying their cameras, but the nasty aliasing and chroma noise makes me regret it. It's weird because I love the look of the two videos I've shot with it, but those were shot all hand-held and for some reasons when I shoot static close-up shots, I get aliasing in eyebrows and facial hair. At the very least, it'll be useful in trying to find the best settings on the G7 to match the Canon colors (well, to get as close as possible) and also matching a friend's 7D when we shoot multi-cam stuff together. What I love about Panasonic cameras in general is that I never even have to think about moire or chroma noise (Panasonic just has nice, fine luma noise that looks sort of film grain-ish) and I don't have to switch to a c-mount lens and crop mode to avoid aliasing. Nikon was fine, but wasn't very inspiring to me. I think the BMPCC still shoots somewhat better footage than the Panasonic cameras I've owned, but I hate NEEDING a cage and NEEDING rails and NEEDING a huge external battery and NEEDING an external monitor every time I want to shoot just about anything.

I say be ruthless in editing, but allow the film to be whatever length it needs to be. I can't wait to see it.