Sony 11-16mm T3 PL (SCL-P11X15 )

7 Lakes

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hum. Never heard of such Sony lens. Is it like the Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 getting design rights on the Angenieux one? That Sony made a deal with Tokina for their 11-16mm T3? Anyways, according the official Sony listing it covers their CineAlta S35 PL cameras. Don't really see why you wouldn't be able to use it on another manufacturer's S35 PL cam...

30 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Hum. Never heard of such Sony lens.

I’m curious if it is a real cinema lens? It's a pity that there is no real reviews or tests made with this lens in the internet. It would be interesting to see how it looks in comparison with other lenses in the market. Bokeh, aberration, sharpness, distortion, etc.

• Super Members

The CineAlta PL primes are very, very well thought of and can be had for 'bargain' (its all relative) prices if you keep your eye out as some dealers may have had them as demo stock.

With regard to this specific lens, it does seem to be a re-housed Tokina from what I can gather so there are other options out there for a PL version of that lens but if you have seen the Sony version at a steal price then steal it ;)

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?275497-Sony-11-16-or-Duclos-Tokina-11-16 

This vimeo channel has some footage from it

https://vimeo.com/user895207

And a review from Matthew Allard of it is here

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, 7 Lakes said:

Do you think it could have the same glass and the identical optical quality as Tokina?

I can only go by what I'm reading in that thread that it is a re-housed version of it so if it it is then yes.

Tokina do their own PL cine version of it here

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1196837-REG/tokina_tc_116p_cinema_11_16mm_t3_0_with.html

And Duclos do a re-housing of it here

https://www.ducloslenses.com/products/duclos-11-16mm

Both of those versions have more users of them than the Sony so more real life reports will be available to research I suspect.

I haven't used any of them (though I do have an absolutely shredded Nikon version of the stills version !) so I wouldn't be able to comment on the pros and cons of the three of them with respect to each other.

Yeah, modders loved the heck out of the 11-16mm f/2.8. Same for the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 and the Bourne duo: Nikon 28-70 & 80-200mm f/2.8 ED.

On 13-2-2016 at 9:00 AM, Cinegain said:

Yup. I know of G.L.Optics/Cinemaglass. Duclos... Cinematics/PCHood. I might've mentioned them a couple of times around here. But rehousing by third parties always ends up being super expensive (like 3500 USD expensive and it's still the same optics and coatings as the stills version, Tokina's own VDSLR/CINE versions are still based on the same optical formula, but they can optimize it for its new purpose from the ground up, which give them a great advantage over normal rehousing, making the up in price suddenly not so far fetched). Then I'd rather have the manufacturer come up with something... Like Samyang/Rokinon: VDSLR/CINE, CINE DS versions and XEEN. ;)

E.g. http://www.pchood.com/PL CINE LENS?product_id=281

Of course, with Tokina doing the modding themselves these days ( http://www.tokinacinema.com/11-16mmT3.html ), you might just want to keep things in-factory and not third party (they do seem to claim better optical characteristics from the stills line-up lenses? Although, I've heard mentions of the breathing still being horrible, so, who really knows). The MFT version I believe occasionally drops down to 699 or something! On the Tokina page, they even show one on an URSA btw, so alteast as suspected, no reason to assume they wouldn't be compatible.

fDCUtFZ.jpg

Yeah, the Sony CineAlta primes, now those are interesting if you're shooting S35 and need a solid set of lenses. Dang.

On 6-10-2015 at 0:29 AM, Cinegain said:

[..]

Of course, if you're shooting APS-C Sonys, there's also the S35 only covering CineAltas. A while back I've seen a demo set (SCL-PK6/M) that went for 4850 GBP and includes the 20, 25, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm T2s to give some indication. Want more serious! That's sounds plenty serious. They've dropped way in prices. These would've set you back 20000+ USD not too long ago. The XEEN lenses shortly had some spotlight, not sure what to make of them yet. Tokina still has somewhat affordable cine zoom options. Seem a little overpriced for being based on their existing zooms for stills, although they're reworked quite drastically, so maybe I'll cut them some slack. But what I like about a Veydra Mini Prime though: it's still a manageable size/weight! I do get, that if you didn't back them with the crowdfunding to get them up and running, you're looking at a bit different prices and that might not convince you as much... but still it's crazy value.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

if you have seen the Sony version at a steal price then steal it

I just found a used Sony version at the same price as the new Tokina Cinema 11-16mm T3.0 and was thinking maybe Sony version is something very special if it costs 5 times more.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, 7 Lakes said:

I just found a used Sony version at the same price as the new Tokina Cinema 11-16mm T3.0 and was thinking maybe Sony version is something very special if it costs 5 times more.

You'd have to test them side by side but I'd be very surprised if there was a justification for anywhere near that multiplier.

Tokina's own cine version of it didn't exist at the time the Sony was released (2011) so it and the Duclos where the only way to get it in that format.

You'd have to decide which one better suited what you are doing as the Sony weighs twice as much and has a 105mm filter thread versus 82mm on the Tokina, either or both of which may be a factor for you.