Someone editing 4K 50p and RAW with a new Ryzen PC?

Arikhan

As I plan to shoot and edit RAW (Canon) and "baked in" (Pana) 4K 50p in near future (max. 200 Mbps in FullHD ALL-Intra, 4K max 150 Mbps "baked in" MOV/MP4, max. 4K 50p in Canon's RAW Light), I will need for sure a new editing machine. I use Premiere & Davinci for editing. Windows only, no Apple. After looking at some options, I will probably build something like Max Yurev's proposal:

My configuration idea (only the most important parts):

AMD Ryzen 1700x, min. 32 GB RAM, 1. SSD for operating system and software (250GB), 2. drive = M.2 SSD (500GB cache/scratch), 3. drive SSD 1TB (data), Graphic card RX 580

Now my questions:

• as Max mentions in his video. 4K 25p works very nice - I would like to know, if 4K 50p editing / playback works without lags and frame drops too...(I am familiar with caching / proxy editing technique...)
  • does RAW work really as good as claimed?

Is someone out there using a similarly configured PC? Any proposals for proved and tested alternatives?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 4 months later...

Not sure but my pc build got pushed back due to personal financial obligations but besides the pout- All the  GTX 1060 6gb graphics cards are apparently in a drought as of today. Was looking online on the gpu tracker sites and the only ones in stock are ridiculously inflated at double the price. Not sure how we’re supposed to build video editing pcs with decent GPU’s when it’s tough to get a card at a decent price. 

6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Did ryzen price cutting starting now?

Yeah, I was expecting that after the latest Intel CPUs... 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

All the  GTX 1060 6gb graphics cards are apparently in a drought as of today. Was looking online on the gpu tracker sites and the only ones in stock are ridiculously inflated at double the price. Not sure how we’re supposed to build video editing pcs with decent GPU’s when it’s tough to get a card at a decent price. 

Damn miners :innocent:

@Dustin There is a new XPS15 with the new built-in vega card: http://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-2018-dell-announces-new-xps-15/

29 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Will that machine be good for premiere pro? I had read a little about that intel/amd partnership. Sounds nice!

In my experience Premiere works better with CUDA than OpenCL but you can always use an NVIDIA eGPU (if you can select the GPU in the latest premiere that is). 

Unfortunately, we didn't see any laptops with the 6 core Coffee Lake-H, which would be optimal for Premiere. 

26 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

In my experience Premiere works better with CUDA than OpenCL but you can always use an NVIDIA eGPU (if you can select the GPU in the latest premiere that is). 

Unfortunately, we didn't see any laptops with the 6 core Coffee Lake-H, which would be optimal for Premiere. 

Yup!! Decided to wait a few months to take care of some more pressing and current  financial situations first. So peering laptop doesn’t die on me in the next few months, I’ll be doing this again around March/april! I just learned per Apple website they charge approx $199 for a battery replacement. Might do that and replace my heat sink diy in the meantime.