New Zhiyun Crane 2 for preorder on BH

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

"It's a focus wheel"

"The sensitivity can be adjusted"

"and then this one (the wheel on the bottom) for ISO"

"Can it be set to adjust other parameters?" "Yes"

"Currently only for Canon?" "Yes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewZJ_GW1tn8

will be really dumb if only Canon camera are supported for the follow focus, good thing I just bought a 200D but i really want to use GH5 on it.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit disappointing that you still can't see the monitor on tilt only displays, plus, what Judd is saying, is that it doesn't really work for lighter/smaller cameras, so, we have to turn to the Crane 1 v2 instead?!

Do you people understand if this Crane 2 is much better than the Crane 1 (like, does it have better motors?).

I am not exactly sold on the focus thing, and definitely I am not planning to buy any of those Canon's, so I am unsure if this is really the best gimbal, or I should go for the Crane 1v2.

Do you believe is it workable for a bigger cam, like the C100mk2?

I returned my Feiyutech ɑ2000 last week. It was great... much more capable than the Crane V2, but when I saw it go on sale the following week, for almost half the price I paid,  I considered it wise to return it and wait to see if they would also announce something substantially upgraded. FWIW, I did prefer the overall build quality of the Feiyutech to the Zhiyun Crane V2... although, Zhiyun might have stepped up their game for this release. After having used both I can report that the Crane V2 worked well with lighter lens setups. But adding an anamorphic adapter caused too much stress on the motors, leading to jittery footage when craning up and down. There was also  insufficient travel from the back of the camera to the rear motor on the V2. Meaning, to balance the setup the eyepiece needed to be removed to allow the camera to clear the rear tilt motor. Conversely, the Feiyutech had ample travel, without any need to remove the eyepiece. And the motors were plenty strong to handle the load. 

I would love to see Feiyutech's take on this setup. Preferably, with a 45° mount option like on their smaller ɑ1000.

On 03/09/2017 at 11:58 AM, scotchtape said:

I hope they have improved the drifting horizon and response to g-forces.  

I tried using it in a car and the horizon really go out during and after turns.  Not to mention you can notice it while moving normally (tilt up and down moving backwards or forwards and tilted horizon if moving so do sideways).

I was thinking of using the V2 in a helicopter but after this experience don't think it will work very well.  I know the older Ronin has tons of complaints for drifting horizon as well, but v2 sucks too for that.

This seems to be common to all the gimbals. It's a big issue for what I use them for so if anyone knows one that doesn't do it I'm all ears :)

• 3 weeks later...

If you guys are interested in seeing the Sony accessory for use with the focus wheel, here is a photo. It looks similar (but less slicker) than the tilta equivalent on their nucleus N. I have ordered the crane 2 for my a7sii, and will probably get this when it's out.

i am wondering if my anamorphic setup will be too heavy for this... probably.

IMG_6668.PNG

1 hour ago, Andrew Clunie said:

If you guys are interested in seeing the Sony accessory for use with the focus wheel, here is a photo. It looks similar (but less slicker) than the tilta equivalent on their nucleus N. I have ordered the crane 2 for my a7sii, and will probably get this when it's out.

i am wondering if my anamorphic setup will be too heavy for this... probably.

IMG_6668.PNG

Interesting. I’m not sold on the focus wheel. Might be alright on the gh5 as you can see the screen flipped out to the side. The screen on my a7sii is not that great for manual focus. Miss a few shots when I use it without external monitor. 

And putting an external monitor on a single hand gimbal is not that appealing to me. 

Keen to see if it works though. 

My camera store has these in stock now, so I thought I would have a play. The first thing you notice is the diameter of the grip. I don't have huge hands but they are not small either, and I found it almost too wide to hold. I like the feel of the old one much better. 

Its rated at a bigger payload so I suppose it's going to be bigger. Honestly, i think its too big for one hand gimbal work, which in my mind defeats the purpose of the one-handed gimbals. 

Will be sticking with the old crane for now. 

11 hours ago, mojo43 said:

I spoke with someone from Zhiyun last night and they mentioned that they are making a follow focus attachment and it will be coming out soon. I also have a Crane 2 coming in today so let me know if you have anything you want me to check out. I will be reviewing it in the next week.

If you have the V2 crane also, I'd love to know how they compare. Especially things like difference in weight etc.. Thanks!

On 9/23/2017 at 1:19 PM, Kisaha said:

A bit disappointing that you still can't see the monitor on tilt only displays, plus, what Judd is saying, is that it doesn't really work for lighter/smaller cameras, so, we have to turn to the Crane 1 v2 instead?!

I've modified my vlogging mirror to work on gimbals.