Interesting Hands On Report From Panasonic EVA1 Event

BTM_Pix

51 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Yes on DVXUser the arguments ranged from people will misunderstand the M4/3 mount and gripe about it, when using m4/3s lenses, to professionals won't want to bother with adapters...it's all nonsense though...professionals want to use the lenses they value and that may not include any EF mounts....and anyone stupid enough buying a $7500 camera, and not understanding lens/sensor coverage, deserve whatever they get!...I think in reality it was a bad decision, made a long time ago, that they are now trying to justify/defend...it is the number one gripe about this camera....that said, I have no doubt IQwill be incredible....I just finished watching the first season of Ozark on Netflix...shot on the Varicam....and the shots they managed with the  800-5000 ISO are just incredible...this is the next Cine Camera IMO...it is just taking time....Arri has reigned for a long time after all...as for the EVA....the GH5 will do very nicely alongside the Varicam....Panasonic is on it's way, and it's not turning back!

I agree that m43 is much more adaptable. While I have a good collections of both, it would be nice to be able to get the advantages of the SB on the the EVA1. Still I remain unconvinced to this date. The 800-5000 ISO of the Varicam is a much more useable spacing. I already have the GH5 set to a max of 1600 ISO to keep things clean. But would love the ability to have a 5000 base ISO. That would be reason enough to add the EVA1. But unfortunately Panasonic did not add this level of separation. I will need to be convinced. And only footage will do that. I hope the lowlight performance is good.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, DBounce said:

I agree that m43 is much more adaptable. While I have a good collections of both, it would be nice to be able to get the advantages of the SB on the the EVA1. Still I remain unconvinced to this date. The 800-5000 ISO of the Varicam is a much more useable spacing. I already have the GH5 set to a max of 1600 ISO to keep things clean. But would love the ability to have a 5000 base ISO. That would be reason enough to add the EVA1. But unfortunately Panasonic did not add this level of separation. I will need to be convinced. And only footage will do that. I hope the lowlight performance is good.

Agreed...and the GH5 already gets you close to the EVA 2nd native ISO...I would rather have another GH5 and perhaps an SLRMagic anamorphic lens to go with the new anamorphic open gate feature...check out Ozark to see what the Varicam and 5000 native ISO looks like....the opted for a very cold grade, but no questioning what a powerhouse system the Varicam is...and the GH5 is quite happily in there with it IMO

• Super Members

This is a bit more of a fly on the wall affair!

Its looks to me like a dealer has live streamed a Panasonic rep doing a demo to his staff or customers and there is some interesting HFR stuff in there if nothing else.

If you can get round the ambient sound which makes it sound like it was shot in a shared space with a cafeteria and/or a bicycle bell demonstration facility.

Here is the J. Derango video in which he claims color is close to the Varicams:

Elle Schneider (Creative Director at Digital Bolex) is also testing one, but I don't know if that means colors are anywhere close to Bolex. Sure hope so ;) 

And on the negative side, here are some comments about the excessive noise in the footage above:

Again, I ll say that the EF mount was a bad decision. At least they should have made it replaceable. Here is a RED speedbooster:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/09/14/abt-cine-speedmount-red-canon-ef-mount-with-built-in-focal-length-reducer/

On 05/09/2017 at 10:55 AM, Tim Sewell said:

Horrible grade I thought - to the extent that I found it distracted from the story.

I agree. If felt more like a blue cast than an actual grade. Some scenes looked like they shot them in broad daylight and someone put a blue gel over my TV screen. Bizarre.