Sony RX0 1 inch action camera

gt3rs

I'm waiting since years that somebody does a better action camera than gopro and the new Sony it is interesting: https://www.sony.com/electronics/RX0-series

But I wish they would have done it similar to the DJI Phantom 4 Pro camera that is also a Sony 1 inch sensor but with F2.8 up to F11, 4k 60p (although DJI in reality is 4k at 30p and at 2.7ish at 60p due to line skipping). I would have accepted that the RX0 is full HD only but at least with an aperture control and starting at 2.8. It can do 4k but only external that it defeats a bit the compactness advantage. Most probably a thermal problem that the Drone does not have having a cooling fan and open vents.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Funny that Sony added picture profiles and Slog in a $700 action camera but removed them in their professional $4.5K FF camera. 

But yes, the lack of internal 4k will kill it as a solution for drones. Probably a 5min limit would not work well with an action camera ;) 

The improved rolling shutter technology is great, but I wonder if it is also implemented in video, cause in the A9 it does not : http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/08/22/a-new-test-debuts-at-ir-the-sony-a9-rolling-shutter-is-pretty-minimal

I'm worried about the interface. One of the options was to control it with PlayMemories. I have used countless hours on PlayMemories apps on my RX1R and it's been a total waste of time, the user-interface is un-usable. I know that Sony gave several different options for controlling it, but I will have to wait and see if any of them are usable. 

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

IIt can do 4k but only external that it defeats a bit the compactness advantage. Most probably a thermal problem that the Drone does not have having a cooling fan and open vents.

It can do internal, far as I know, but has a 5 minute limit per clip in 4k, or something like that.  

In the article is says it has no internal 4K.  I wonder if Sony is playing coy here, maybe offer it as $ add-on like the X-70.  Yeah, that's pleased a lot of people!  Why call it an RX0?  Is it part of their consumer line?  A camera for many different applications that will be jack of all trades, master of none.  It's also similar to their snap-on phone cameras, which failed miserably.   And why does the $360 FDR-X3000 have 4K and this thing wouldn't?  For past past 2 years Sony has been pitch perfect.  Not looking good.

7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I'm waiting since years that somebody does a better action camera than gopro and the new Sony it is interesting: https://www.sony.com/electronics/RX0-series

But I wish they would have done it similar to the DJI Phantom 4 Pro camera that is also a Sony 1 inch sensor but with F2.8 up to F11, 4k 60p (although DJI in reality is 4k at 30p and at 2.7ish at 60p due to line skipping). I would have accepted that the RX0 is full HD only but at least with an aperture control and starting at 2.8. It can do 4k but only external that it defeats a bit the compactness advantage. Most probably a thermal problem that the Drone does not have having a cooling fan and open vents.

Based on the specs, most of the internal recording modes have very high frame rates. Since it is an action camera it has probably been designed for action, not for shooting cinematic productions.

They do not provide any specs for video outside of HFR as far as I could tell. Presumably it can shoot at normal frame rates, and those are just missing from the spec page at the moment. 

Well, that's weirdly... interesting. Hum.

Not sure if I can see myself shooting like this though:

UvfWPyh.png

On a very unrelated note... am I the only one that gets a hint of the Contax T3 vibe when seeing this thing?

0NZgm3G.jpg

Man, with Ricoh seeminly unwilling to release a proper new compact sub-$1k streetshooter with Contax flair... maybe Sony can?

Or even better, one that runs on film! Like Fujifilm once did with the Fujifilm Klasse S & W (one of the very last generations iconic compact film cameras).

2 hours ago, maxotics said:

It can do internal, far as I know, but has a 5 minute limit per clip in 4k, or something like that.  

The first rule of the web: don't make things up.

Here are the specs (so you can stop speculating). No 4K internal:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx0/specifications

There is absolutely nothing for us in this camera. Let's move on... :) 

9 minutes ago, markr041 said:

The first rule of the web: don't make things up.

Here are the specs (so you can stop speculating). No 4K internal:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx0/specifications

There is absolutely nothing for us in this camera. Let's move on... :) 

Not even the waterproof thing? Or a 1" sensor? The camera should be able to shoot normal looking footage without the wideangle distortions you usually get with things like a Gopro.

According to the data page for the camera, it records HD internally at 60p with a data rate of 50 mbps. In HFR modes quality starts to fall off after 240 fps, which means that the camera can manage internal data flow rates of about 200 mbps before compromises have to be made. Apparently it is oversampling so the HD image should be pretty good.

It is not a camera for everyone, but it seems pretty solid for it's intended use.

2 hours ago, tugela said:

Not even the waterproof thing? Or a 1" sensor? The camera should be able to shoot normal looking footage without the wideangle distortions you usually get with things like a Gopro.

According to the data page for the camera, it records HD internally at 60p with a data rate of 50 mbps. In HFR modes quality starts to fall off after 240 fps, which means that the camera can manage internal data flow rates of about 200 mbps before compromises have to be made. Apparently it is oversampling so the HD image should be pretty good.

It is not a camera for everyone, but it seems pretty solid for it's intended use.

No optical or sensor stabilization, no aperture, no GPS, wifi is not two band. This is incredibly mediocre. One can now shoot 4K 60p in a tinier camera that is less than half the price (without overheating), with two-band wifi. I thought Sony is supposed to be an innovator. This is a crippled RX100 with an inferior lens boxed in a waterproof package - wow!

Any idea how this thing focuses or if it focuses at all? At f4/0 with a 1" sensor it's a bit of a far fetch to say that "everything is in focus", although I guess they could rely on hyperfocal-point.

I find the idea behind the RX0 to be interesting, but there are too many things missing for me. If I could use touch-to focus on an Atomos I can see how it could make for some interesting setups, but then I'm stuck with the 24mm f4. I guess two of these for VR could be nice.

1 hour ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Any idea how this thing focuses or if it focuses at all? At f4/0 with a 1" sensor it's a bit of a far fetch to say that "everything is in focus", although I guess they could rely on hyperfocal-point.

f/4 on 1" is very close to f/1.9 on smartphone sensor. They could make a Red Hydrogen rival instead of this. 

MF Assist and Peaking functions refine focus

To help you fine-tune focus, Manual Focus (MF) Assist magnifies the area you are focusing on to enable more precise adjustment, while Peaking highlights the sharpest or most in-focus area with your choice of color to help determine whether further focusing adjustment is required.

Preset Focus for simpler movie shooting

For movie shooting, you can choose MF (manual focus) or PF (preset focus) mode. If you select PF mode, the RX0 automatically focuses on a subject in the range farther than approx. 1m. Also, while the RX0 is in PF mode, if you activate “NEAR” focusing range, the camera automatically focuses on a nearby subject (within approx. 1m range).

~ https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx0/specifications#features

19 hours ago, markr041 said:

No optical or sensor stabilization, no aperture, no GPS, wifi is not two band. This is incredibly mediocre. One can now shoot 4K 60p in a tinier camera that is less than half the price (without overheating), with two-band wifi. I thought Sony is supposed to be an innovator. This is a crippled RX100 with an inferior lens boxed in a waterproof package - wow!

Why do you think it has no aperture? 

Looks to me that it has a fixed focal length lens with a minimum aperture at F4.

It looks to me like a camera that is meant to be attached to something, or work in multiple camera setups. A fixed focal length is perfectly fine for those applications.

15 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I find the idea behind the RX0 to be interesting, but there are too many things missing for me. If I could use touch-to focus on an Atomos I can see how it could make for some interesting setups, but then I'm stuck with the 24mm f4. I guess two of these for VR could be nice.

It focuses the same way as every other camera. Which should be obvious since it has both manual focus and autofocus modes. What makes you think it can't focus?

I really like my Sony action cams and RX100 4 but the some of the specs on this are a step backwards. I get the lack of 4K due to heat issues. But the battery they are using is smaller than the RX100/Acton cam battery and only 700mah. anyone that uses the RX100 for video will know, it eats battiers for breakfest. I can’t see the rx0 being able to shoot for long periods without power or extra battiers .

And they could do better than f4 for low light.

Very keen to see how the implement the slow mo functions. If it’s 1 button push and no stuffing around that will be useful. On the RX100 by the time you set up the camera for hfr you have missed the moment. 

I do like the waterproofing, the cage and the ability to use filters. Probably end up getting one for a play, but I’m already waiting for the rx0 Mark II.