GH5, GX85, G85 shooters, your own best IBIS one takers with footage and info

PannySVHS

Hey guys,

We all know the IBIS is awesome, by the way, Oly IBIS shooters should feel just as well adressed.

I´ve been testing my GX85s IBIS for many weeks now, about three months. Testing, testing, testing, what it´s

for and what it´s not for at all. Seeing the possibilities and limits. I did all this in prep. I put the cam on poles rigged to my

waist or chest, swingin the cam like a bird. Well, I did this and everything else:) Would love to see your stuff, your favorite

and your favorite quirky shots. In the end I rented a GH5 to do a short because of its perfect HD (no need for 4K with that:), ergonomy, crop and battery life.

I think the twice as faster sensor read out helped well in doing beautiful one take action.

So let´s see some IBIS action and some BTS infos and facts how it was done and performed.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's a 1 take long shot I did in Budapest a few weeks ago. I'm traveling Europe with my good friend and musician MD Woods, we were in Budapest for a few shows and I shot this performance for the record label. 

Cam: GH5, handheld. Interesting setup: I used a camera neckstrap around my neck for stability and had a mini tripod (very small) threaded in the bottom to use as a little grip. That and being very conscious of my movements let me do a long shot I ended up being really happy with. Of course, we did 3 takes and my favorite take visually was not the musicians favorite musically but I found it fairly easy to get a good take. This in body stabilizer is so nice to have.

22 hours ago, Thomas Hogben said:

Hi @PannySVHS , really interesting to hear you say you tested with the GX85 before hiring in a GH5 for your project.. i have a GX85, and keep holding back on buying the GH5 because i hear there isn't a major step up... especially once the GX85 has the flat profile downloaded on it..

Did you notice a major difference?

Hey Thomas, the GH5 is a serious movie making machine, unbelievably so, at that price! The GX85 is a super fun camera, with nice 4K and soso HD quality.

With the GH5 you get perfect HD, so no need to film in 4K for HD delivery from an image quality point. Battery life, Full HDMI, ergonomy, GH5 is superior in these regards.

EVF on it is nice. It´s not nice at all on the GX85. But the GX is one of the most fun cameras to have,

to hold in hand and to do smaller pieces of film with great image quality.

For serious filmmaking buy the GH5, for doing visual sketches without a filmcrew, the  GX85 is good enough in my opinion, much better with a second battery:)

If it had twice as long battery life and G6 or G7 level HD quality I would not fancy a GH5. Or maybe I would, but less:)